Newbie: Diagnosis?

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
<font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><b></b><i></i><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Hi All, new on the forum and confused, my gp diagnosed me as diabetic (type 2 ) last year and now a new gp has said I am not diabetic but borderline.
I have been on a controlled diet over the last 12 months or so, my last fasting glucose test at the hospital was 7.1% and from this the gp says I am borderline.
what I would like to know does this mean I am beating it or is it a mis diagnosis?:?:

God bless and regards from Roger.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Roger,welcome to the forum.
Was that your fasting test at 7.1% or your Hba1c? If it is Hba1c then you are a diabetic.You should continue to keep on a controlled diet and if possible get a blood testing monitor to check your blood sugar daily.Most doctors now say that type 2 is just as important as type 1 for complications .You are obviously keeping on top of it with your diet but it is still there.It's like saying someone is a little bit pregnant,if you have diabetes then you are a diabetic!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Roger and welcome to the forum.

I think there is some confusion because you've stated your fasting glucose test result as 7.1%. A fasting test is not expressed as a percentage but as the amount of glucose in your blood, expressed in minimoles per litre or mmol/l. An HBA1C test is very different to a fasting test and shows an average of your glucose levels over a 3 month period. It is always shown as a % and a figure of 7.1% would be quite high and would definitely show diabetes.

If your test was a fasting test then the clinical guidelines for this are "A level of 7.0 mmol/l or more after an overnight fast indicates that you have diabetes." Hence with a reading of 7.1 you can see why your new GP says you are borderline. I expect your GP won't prescribe medication yet but will want to see if you can maintain a level of around 7mmol/l just on diet. Sue is absolutely right about getting a test monitor. Even if you just test a couple of times a week, at least you will be able to see how your sugar levels are doing and make adjustments to your diet accordingly.

When you say you have been on a controlled diet, what type of diet is it? If it is a low carohydrate diet, then perhaps 7.1mmol/l is a little high. If it is not a low carb diet then you could probably reduce your blood glucose level simply with a small reduction in your carb intake. Nobody wants to be diabetic but you have to be aware that, whether or not you want to regard yourself as diabetic right now, your body is telling that you need to be careful from now on.

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
<font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="blue"></font id="blue"><b></b><i></i>Hi All, thanks for the welcome, yes sorry it was the hb1ac but my doc says to fast before the test? I have a meter and check two or three times a week my fasting/ first reading in the morning before breakfast is usually around 6.2/8.7 mmoll but has been as high as 14.2. I am on a low fat low carb diet (balanced) and have lost just over 2 stones in weight.
The readings 2 hours after meals range between 12.2/18.4 mmoll is this particularly high? The problem is I do have other issues going on I have pure Autonomic failure, Hypothyroidism, and Anemia, so I am genrally unwell a lot of the time and can't exercise as I pass out sometimes even on standing, hope there is enough info there to be going on with sorry to be a moaner but don't get much from the doctors. Cheers.

God bless and regards from Roger.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The ideal values are:
4 to 7mmol/l before meals.
less than 10mmol/l 90 minutes after a meal
around 8mmol/l at bedtime.
check out the net for things like GI diet and somewhere on this forum is an excellent link to a carb.counting link.Take a note of what you have eaten and then if your sugars are up reduce intake of that particular food.

Reactions: 2 people