Low carb alternative flours!!

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things that's good for me
They are readily available! I have a set, I use one of them when I make Yorkshire Puds as it's just about the same size as a large egg.
I've actually never seen measuring cups. I've always been an old fashioned scale kind of person.

Took me years to accept grams over ounces :D

I guess this is why my bread ended so badly, I didn't know what was meant by new standard flour!
New Standard Keto Flour 2.0 recipe card.png

Clearly a blend of ingredients.

I need to read more!! (Also need a decent health food shop locally!)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have actually been watching a couple of her videos and the recipes seem pretty good and quite easy.
The only major problem is the conversion from American measurements to UK. Over there it's a cup of this and 2 cups of that, well that doesn't help when we don't have measuring cups here!
A recipe I've tried is this one, it seemed to be going well but the resulting mixture was just too wet, it was very runny.
View attachment 63732
I did still try baking it but it just ended up a very dense soggy mess.
The YouTube video tutorial showed a very light fluffy bread type texture when baked.

US cup and spoon measures are smaller than the UK's, so that will throw out the recipe.

Reactions: RobynV

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I make bread with a mix of coconut flour and almond flour (actually ground almonds).
For 90-second bread I add a little cream cheese and milled flaxseed - the cheese cutes the eggy taste and the flaxseed makes it more like a wholemeal loaf. After cooling split and toast lightly.

Reactions: retrogamer

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I make bread with a mix of coconut flour and almond flour (actually ground almonds).
For 90-second bread I add a little cream cheese and milled flaxseed - the cheese cutes the eggy taste and the flaxseed makes it more like a wholemeal loaf. After cooling split and toast lightly.
I've tried a couple of these 90 second breads and I've not found one that I enjoy. They're either too crumbly when toasted or too bitter. Chaffles taste too cheesy (and I love cheese) or if made without cheese they are too dry and like rubber.

I guess I'm being a little too picky, I'm used to having white bread with almost every meal. Breakfast was frequently toast, lunch was usually a sandwich and whatever I had in the evening regularly featured buttered bread with it. I just need to get used to something a little different to what I've been having most of my adult life.

Well this could get confusing very quickly!

FINAL-cups-to-grams-Infographic-410x1024.png

I have lots to learn!

Lakeslover

Have you tried this one?

I can’t taste the almond flour in this. It makes a good sandwich.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried this one?

I can’t taste the almond flour in this. It makes a good sandwich.
I have actually tried that one and it was one of the better ones. Regular chaffles taste too cheesy and believe me, my missus calls me a big mouse because I'll eat cheese straight from the block!!
The only issue, it was a little rubbery and a little bit bland. I intend to try it again but add a bit more seasoning and maybe adjust the ratios a bit but this recipe definitely had potential.

I bought a waffle toaster just to try these!

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A vote for almond flour plus oat fibre.

I don't miss bread during the warmer months, but once the temperature drops, I sometimes feel the need for a slice of something with my breakfast eggs. Then I make Nordic bread. My recipe contains almond flour plus oat fibre; a combination that also makes good pastry.

I sometimes use coconut flour for baking.
I'm looking into this oat fibre. The bread recipe I posted called for bamboo fibre or oat fibre as a replacement. Both only seem to be available online. Even Holland and Barrett don't stock them.
Are there any high street locations to buy this stuff?

Reactions: LivingLightly

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ordered Oat Fibre on line just yesterday, together with some Vital Wheat Gluten from https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/organic-oat-fibre.html

Went to Morrisons this morning specifically for Lupin Flour, they'd never heard of it despite it being on their website, so it must be for some of the larger Morrisons only, although I thought ours was big enough. Will now be ordering that on line too.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ordered Oat Fibre on line just yesterday, together with some Vital Wheat Gluten from https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/organic-oat-fibre.html

Went to Morrisons this morning specifically for Lupin Flour, they'd never heard of it despite it being on their website, so it must be for some of the larger Morrisons only, although I thought ours was big enough. Will now be ordering that on line too.
Holland and Barrett have lupin flour on offer if you have a branch near you. Out of stock in my local branch though.

I'll have to order oat fibre online.
This diabetes is costing me a fortune. :D

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Holland and Barrett have lupin flour on offer if you have a branch near you. Out of stock in my local branch though.

I'll have to order oat fibre online.
This diabetes is costing me a fortune. :D
Thanks for the tip. Should have thought of them.... bought some on Amazon, though I think it was a bit pricy, will go and compare it with H&B

Swings and roundabouts I think re what it's costing, think I maybe quids in when considering what I don't buy any more, I've even had 3 days this week of having just one meal.

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Lupin flour I buy is finally back in stock with Amazon.
I buy the 5 pack option, way cheaper than other sellers and H B.
It’s the same brand that Morrisons sell, if your lucky enough to find some.

H&B is cheaper at the minute while it's reduced. £2.49 compared to £3.39 for the Amazon 5 pack listing.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Lupin flour I buy is finally back in stock with Amazon.
I buy the 5 pack option, way cheaper than other sellers and H B.
It’s the same brand that Morrisons sell, if your lucky enough to find some.

Yes, that's what I bought today, bought the 5 pack. But is it my maths, isn't the cost of one pack compared to the cost of 5 packs wrong?

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for heads up @retrogamer
Didn’t realise it was on sale.

Yes @JenniferM55 cost of one packet is silly, although still cheaper than other Amazon sellers!
5 pack the way to go.

Checkout Sugarfree Londoner for marvellous Yorkshire pudding Lupin recipe.
Tastes as good as hi carb version

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This UK company has their own mix they call Panda flour, and products made from it.
Haven't tried it myself but read good reports on another forum

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
That's not the easy route for me. Bread was a huge part of my diet and taking it out, although better for me has left a massive hole in my diet. I've tried doing without but it's quite difficult for me.
I make my own in a bread baker, have for many years. So I buy mill flour and avoid if I can supermarket bread flours. I have a box of mixed seeds I make up and add a scoop to the mix, comes out well. Tried substituting some flour for almond flour but had a couple of fails, so went back to bread flour. I limit my quantity to one thin/medium thick slice. It’s more filling so don’t need anymore. Recently had a go at making sour bread which is supposed to be better - well, I could have stocked a shop with starter Taken a rest on that for a bit.