The best coconut oil?

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Everyone, If this question has been asked before then I'm sorry but I have looking on the forum for the past 2 hours and cannot see it. I can buy Pure Coconut Oil from my local Asian shop quite cheaply but alot of people here seem to pay much more and order it online. My question is, are the online ones really worth all that expence, is it just hype?, shall I buy it from the local Asian shop?
I am going to cook with it. All advice welcome, thanks, Deb

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get mine, KTC, from local Asian shops. Unfortunately, not everyone has local Asian shops :(
I did a lot of research online, via a number of forums, to try and get a definitive answer to your question.
Never found one, but KTC did get mentioned as ok.

Just wish it wasn't sold in glass bottles :crazy: :crazy:

Geoff

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Geoff, I do have a local Asian shop and a while ago I got some coconut oil in a glass bottle which I had to melt and then put into a tub for easy access. I am pretty sure that it was KTC but I found that it had no coconut smell and after doing some research it seems that this is definitive of being refined which means less lauric acid for internal benefits. I don't mind paying for more expensive one if it's definately worth it BUT don't want to waste my money if there is really no difference, Deb

Defren

The first coconut oil I bought was called Fushi, and I got it from Amazon. I had to re-order recently, and was just mooching through the oil on ebay and Amazon. I came across Barlean's extra virgin coconut oil, when it arrived the first thing I noticed was the much stronger coconut smell and taste. It's not in a glass jar but a plastic one. It was more expensive, but I have the feeling the amount I will need to use will be less so it could end up being more economical in the long run.

WhitbyJet

My all time favourite coconut oil is Garden of Life, I eat it straight from the spoon, its the most delicious out of all the ones that I have tried over the years.
It comes in a glass jar, I dont trust anything that is packed in plastic, even if its supposed to be biodegradable, I always fear that chemicals from plastic taint the food, probably me being a hypersensitive, over reacting old moo?! :oops: :oops:

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Many thanks to everyone who replied to this post. After careful deliberation (I have been on the computer for most of the day!) I have now ordered the Barlean's extra virgin coconut oil from Amazon, with free p&p. I am sure that the refined ones are ok for skin and hair care but I wanted a good one to take internally. So thanks again and I will post how it goes, Deb

Defren

diadeb said:
Many thanks to everyone who replied to this post. After careful deliberation (I have been on the computer for most of the day!) I have now ordered the Barlean's extra virgin coconut oil from Amazon, with free p&p. I am sure that the refined ones are ok for skin and hair care but I wanted a good one to take internally. So thanks again and I will post how it goes, Deb

If you have dogs, keep it and them apart :D My dogs would eat the Barleans's out the tub just like the humans do, it's so delicious. :lol:

Defren

mrsknitty said:
Coconut oil sounds lovely - can I ask what you all use it for? Do you use it in cooking? xxx

Cooking is the main thing, but it's also a fantastic treatment for your hair :lol: I have waist length hair, and I use it now and then, and my hair gleams afterwards. I use coconut or avocado oil for frying, because I ultra low carb, I need a good natural fat source, coconut oil does the trick and tastes delicious. Try either ebay or Amazon as apart from Holland and Barrett I can't find a good quality supplier and H&B are more expensive than on line. Enjoy!

Jo

Reactions: 2 people

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Everyone, I have just received my Barlean's extra virgin coconut oil form Amazon. I have eaten a teaspoon straight from the spoon and it tasted lovely. I can't wait to cook with it, thanks to everyone for the information, Debra

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Other half managed to get 2 bottles for 99p each in our local branch of Tesco. As its solid I melted it in a jug of hot water then decanted it into a 'proper' container, can't beat that price.

rtee

coconut oil also makes a great body 'lotion' for dry skin. I use it on my feet and lower legs especially.
It also prevents sweat rash in all those 'intimate' places ! Obviously use a different jar from the one you use for cooking, :roll: or decant some.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Local Asian shops will sell the refined coconut oil as well and very cheaply for moisturising

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be looking for cold pressed, usually called virgin or extra virgin and ideally organic. Found Biona extra virgin 400g for £7.99 at Real Foods, but look around on line. You could try and add it to your coffee/tea or if you like the taste of coconut just eat it, usually 1-3 tbs per day is recommended, more is a waste.

dia21

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am using Coconut Hair oil of Oriflame cosmetic products Company. You must try it. It has wonderful results.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We use groovey food company organic Virgin coconut oil .. It is in a glass jar and solid .. Tastes great ... Wife uses it foe everything from food ingredient to hair conditioner and skin care .. The dogs also love it :happy:

A

AnnieC

I get mine, KTC, from local Asian shops. Unfortunately, not everyone has local Asian shops :(
I did a lot of research online, via a number of forums, to try and get a definitive answer to your question.
Never found one, but KTC did get mentioned as ok.

Just wish it wasn't sold in glass bottles :crazy: :crazy:

Geoff
As well as Asian shops most supermarkets sell the KTC one in tubs I have got mine from Sainsbury's or Tesco's they usually do both the really expensive one and the KTC one

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That KTC stuff is **** (€1.99) in Tesco. and should only be used for a skin moisturizer in my opinion. I use Biona Organic Virgin Coconut Oil €13.99

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the asian shop should have 'virgin' coconut oil, that is just a pressed oil with coconut flavour..ask the storekeeper..it's all a similar price where I shop, A$9/kg.. 3 quid a pound/450ml
I also like the creamed coconut blocks

of course the tins of coconut cream [higher fat content the better it is] makes good deserts with a bit of gelatine

Last edited by a moderator: