What's a good spike

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My diabetes my anger and my sugars :-(
I tested sugars today they were 10.1 had brown toast with flora light and marmite! 2hrs later sugars were 17.2 is this a high spike or normal cos that's quite a leap I think but not sure? How much should it go up after meals? Any help appreciated

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested sugars today they were 10.1 had brown toast with flora light and marmite! 2hrs later sugars were 17.2 is this a high spike or normal cos that's quite a leap I think but not sure? How much should it go up after meals? Any help appreciated

That was quite a big spike. Would not expect a difference of more than 2 after two hours with that food. If you want to share more information with us perhaps we can help more. What type are you, meds of Insulin?, diet? Etc

Reactions: 2 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm type 2 I'm one met forming 4x500g a day I thought that was high so it should only spike 2 approx?

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Suggested Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes are

- Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l

- 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l

Suggest you contact your GP for a current HbA1c test. Are you actively managing your diet and taking some excercise?

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)

Hi Sarah, that's definitely a bad spike! Spikes as we call them aren't good. There are recommendations on this forum by NICE which give you the levels we should aim for both pre and post meals, however in the opinion of many, these levels are now considered to be too high! I subscribe to this way of thinking and would like to point you in the direction of this info...http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php
Sorry for the bit of a read, but it's all part of learning about diabetes. I rarely post links but I and many others are dismayed and angry that NICE are ignoring ever growing evidence against their own figures.
As to your own figures, may I suggest you look at ways of reducing your carb intake. I used to have similar, even higher readings than you but am now able to enjoy BGs regularly in the 4.5 - 6 range. This I have achieved by following a low carb, relatively high fat diet. This suits ME and I can only speak for me :)
I wish you success in your quest to become a well controlled diabetic :)

NICE! Should have been NHS, sorry. Was in a hurry this morning. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The difference between the before and 2 hours after is the useful number if you are looking into what you shouldn't eat. From your readings you went up by 7.1 which is a big jump. I once managed a spike like that after eating two kievs and chips followed by two Mars bars.

Most of my meals that consist of un-processed food and even chips result in a typical rise of 2-3.

You should determine what caused the 7.1 and have less (none) of it in future.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In finding all this so hard I'm an emotional wreck trying to sort all this out so carbs and fibre are all bad / or produce high sugars so no toast for breaky what about porridge oats?

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The difference between the before and 2 hours after is the useful number if you are looking into what you shouldn't eat. From your readings you went up by 7.1 which is a big jump. I once managed a spike like that after eating two kievs and chips followed by two Mars bars.

Most of my meals that consist of un-processed food and even chips result in a typical rise of 2-3.

You should determine what caused the 7.1 and have less (none) of it in future.
So you mean tomorrow try it without marmite maybe??

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you mean tomorrow try it without marmite maybe??

That's agood start in your efforts to isolate the cause of your spike. Of course you may prove it to be the bread and if so you will have to eat less of it or find an alternative.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What so most people eat for breakfast I usually have corn flakes but told that's not good! Any ideas ?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Sarah,

If you like toast for breakfast then add all the food groups so that the spike is lessened. Egg, fish, cheese on the toast and some mushrooms, tomatoes on the side.
Try that and see if the spike lessens. You need to add more food groups.

Some people can get away with porridge and others find that if they add seed and nuts to it then it doesn't spike as bad as porridge on it's own.

Don't get in a flap as you are new to this and it does take time and patience. Exercise or lack of it , illness, infections and stress can also raise your blood sugars so getting a meal to suit you means that some days your readings will be higher than others when eating the same meal.

Keep the food diary up to date and be sure to record levels and you will soon see patterns emerging.

Reactions: 3 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Sarah,

If you like toast for breakfast then add all the food groups so that the spike is lessened. Egg, fish, cheese on the toast and some mushrooms, tomatoes on the side.
Try that and see if the spike lessens. You need to add more food groups.

Some people can get away with porridge and others find that if they add seed and nuts to it then it doesn't spike as bad as porridge on it's own.

Don't get in a flap as you are new to this and it does take time and patience. Exercise or lack of it , illness, infections and stress can also raise your blood sugars so getting a meal to suit you means that some days your readings will be higher than others when eating the same meal.

Keep the food diary up to date and be sure to record levels and you will soon see patterns emerging.
You say add other foods groups that means eating more won't that make sugars go even higher?? I mean I only had marmite and it rose by 7.1 if I add eggs mushrooms etc with it soar?

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
In finding all this so hard I'm an emotional wreck trying to sort all this out so carbs and fibre are all bad / or produce high sugars so no toast for breaky what about porridge oats?

It is a nightmare and initially very confusing! You obviously have a meter so can I suggest you eat by it... Testing before and then initially, two hours after each meal to give you some idea of what works for you. Porridge? I can't do it but the best one to try is steel cut oats. It needs proper cooking, not a quick bung it in the microwave thing, but it may well be something you can tolerate. Make it with water then add some cream and cinnamon(if you like it.) or berries and nuts. Stay away from the quick cook, expensive fine milled stuff. It's too processed. You could also try cheap supermarkets own porridge, it works well for some people :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Catherinecherub reminds me of a point that I should repeat here. There are some things you can't learn from the rest of us.

You begin liking foods that you like and they may not be the same ones as me.

When you test your levels your results might not be similar to mine since different foods will affect us in different ways.

When you have found alternative foods to eat that don't spike you they may not be the same ones that I eat since our tastes are different.

You have a lot of testing to do and a change of diet but it will be personal to you.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Catherinecherub reminds me of a point that I should repeat here. There are some things you can't learn from the rest of us.

You begin liking foods that you like and they may not be the same ones as me.

When you test your levels your results might not be similar to mine since different foods will affect us in different ways.

When you have found alternative foods to eat that don't spike you they may not be the same ones that I eat since our tastes are different.

You have a lot of testing to do and a change of diet but it will be personal to you.
You know what I keep asking all this stuff but I think you hit the nail on the head! I need to do it myself test and learn it's just frustrating like if I go swim in morn toast may be fine if I don't swim it could be bad this will take yrs to learn :(

C

catherinecherub

You say add other foods groups that means eating more won't that make sugars go even higher?? I mean I only had marmite and it rose by 7.1 if I add eggs mushrooms etc with it soar?

Having a slice of toast means you are eating nothing but carbs. The marmite and spread will do virtually nothing to alter your blood sugars.
Protein means you will feel less hungry between meals and will have a negligible effect on your blood sugars.
The vegetables will increase your fibre intake and slow down the digestion of the carbs in the toast.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having a slice of toast means you are eating nothing but carbs. The marmite and spread will do virtually nothing to alter your blood sugars.
Protein means you will feel less hungry between meals and will have a negligible effect on your blood sugars.
The vegetables will increase your fibre intake and slow down the digestion of the carbs in the toast.

Hope that makes sense to you.
What you said I understand to an extent I just not sure on the process of things! Let me try!
We have carbs dairy fats vegetables and protein is this correct? What ever I eat with carbs such as rice pasta bread potatoes I then need fats or protein to reduce the sugar ?

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know I'm stupid but I appreciate you trying to help me and thank you

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know what I keep asking all this stuff but I think you hit the nail on the head! I need to do it myself test and learn it's just frustrating like if I go swim in morn toast may be fine if I don't swim it could be bad this will take yrs to learn :(

You seem to have understood the point very quickly and that is encouraging. During one of my first meetings with my nurse she said, "Road diggers and marathon runners can eat what they like". That may not be entirely true but I got the point.

I have Weetabix for breakfast but I also have a 2-3 mile walk. It works for me. In the evening I avoid carbs and maybe watch TV.

And yes, only you can do this.