Low Carb bread ?

Nicholas Hoare

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can any one recommend any bread or type of bread that is low in carbs or an alternative to bread.
I love a boiled egg and toast for breakfast.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I cant say I am well up on carbs Nicholas. But just this week I have discovered a great tasting bread I only got the small loaf as Hubby wont eat brown bread it is Hovis Seed Sensations. And there are 13.9 grams in each slice plus the added benefit you get from the seeds. I have 2 Coddled eggs on 2 slices Spread with Flora light. Lovely. ( Note to self must find more about Carbs)o_O lol

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
aqualung, I miss "normal" bread very much and did try the Flax loaf some time ago but found it was awful both in taste and texture. If you go to the Food, Nutrition and recipes section, then to the post "Fergus Jag Banter", a member called Modesty has posted a recipe for Walnut Bread which looks lovely but I haven't tried it yet. Also if you live near a Waitrose store apparently they sell a bread called Livlife, which is low carb at 3g per slice.

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made this bread this week end and didn't like it:( The taste was OK but I found the texture slimy and soapy. Is it supposed to have this texture or have I done something wrong?
I quite enjoy the texture but it is moister than normal bread. Maybe reducing the number of eggs used may make it drier? Not 100% sure, but that may help.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I hope the flaxseed loaf is good cos I just used the last of my flaxseed for it and its in the oven now.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
diadeb glad it's not just me! I am going to look at the walnut bread. We don't have waitrose nearby so can't get livlife bread:(

charles I only used small eggs so less than they said. I think maybe its the flax I wasn't keen on. think I will stick to having it with yoghurt. I have used almond flour in bread before but have run out

denise I like burgen bread but don't buy it very often

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well ive tried a still warm slice it seems ok, but I'll prob stick with my breadmaker loaf that seems to have a bread texture.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been reading a lot lately about Livlife low carb bread and people testing it without having spikes. I don't think it's available in a lot of stores though. Definitely not available in my part of the planet.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Livlife is good. It doesn't spike me at all. The slices are small but satisfying when filled with loads of salad etc. At the moment I'm not eating grains but hope to have a go again soon. Livlife is currently only available in Waitrose or online...its supposed to be stocked by some branches of Morrisons too but not in the one near me, although I asked several times.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Can any one recommend any bread or type of bread that is low in carbs or an alternative to bread.
I love a boiled egg and toast for breakfast.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Bread is one of the things I miss most since reducing carbs. I still have Burgen soya and linseed for my toast and I recently found Live life low carb bread but it's difficult to find in supermarkets. I have just also found this great website and a recipe for bread. I'd like to try it but I don't have a breadmaker! This morning I had the porridge and it was delish - used lots of coconut milk!

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
diadeb glad it's not just me! I am going to look at the walnut bread. We don't have waitrose nearby so can't get livlife bread:(

charles I only used small eggs so less than they said. I think maybe its the flax I wasn't keen on. think I will stick to having it with yoghurt. I have used almond flour in bread before but have run out

denise I like burgen bread but don't buy it very often
If you want to test and make sure it's the Flax meal you are not taking to to, try making flax meal porridge! Basically flax meal and boiling water. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/flaxseedrecipes.htm
If you find yourself wanting to swim in it and devour the whole lot, flax bread might still feature in your life. If one spoonful makes you want to run and hide in a cave where no flax meal will ever find you again, you know it's that :)

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bread is one of the things I miss most since reducing carbs. I still have Burgen soya and linseed for my toast and I recently found Live life low carb bread but it's difficult to find in supermarkets. I have just also found this great website and a recipe for bread. I'd like to try it but I don't have a breadmaker! This morning I had the porridge and it was delish - used lots of coconut milk!
So
Sorry for some reason link did not work, the site is called diabetessupportforum.org and the recipe is under recently added

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So

Sorry for some reason link did not work, the site is called ********************.org and the recipe is under recently added
It's Diabetes support forum

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems like the name of that site has been bleeped out by the administration here. Maybe you could ask them why? Competition maybe?

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to test and make sure it's the Flax meal you are not taking to to, try making flax meal porridge! Basically flax meal and boiling water. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/flaxseedrecipes.htm
If you find yourself wanting to swim in it and devour the whole lot, flax bread might still feature in your life. If one spoonful makes you want to run and hide in a cave where no flax meal will ever find you again, you know it's that :)

I tried that yesterday too and that was even worse than the bread which makes me think flax (apart from in yoghurt) is not for me. I have used it in chocolate microwave muffins before and that was OK so it will get used. just very slowly!