Summer footwear & Neuropathy?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what everyone would like to hear as the warmer weather arrives. Throw all restrictive clothing and shoes into the cupboard and skip through the fields.

Having neuropathy in your feet is a bit of a problem and at all costs you must protect them. I would add sandals and flip flops to the no no list since they are open and any undetected injury could be a big problem.

Some kind of flattie or new trainers sound good.

Just make sure that you do everything you can to avoid an injury and check your feet a lot.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what areas of your feet aren't feeling 'sharp'? I've got an area on my heel, so I need a heel in the sandal for protection

H

Hooked

what areas of your feet aren't feeling 'sharp'? I've got an area on my heel, so I need a heel in the sandal for protection
The ball of the foot mainly and underside of big toes. Since injuring my foot I'm also numb on the sole along the outside of that foot towards the back.

Depressed now! No more wearing floaty dresses which are nice and cool during warm weather if I have to wear enclosed shoes. :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes it sounds like you need a small toe and heel in the shoe/sandal with the top of the shoe open

Reactions: 2 people
H

Hooked

yes it sounds like you need a small toe and heel in the shoe/sandal with the top of the shoe open

Insert expletive here.....:arghh:
Having only been diagnosed with it during the winter, it never even occurred to me that sandals etc might be no longer an option until today. Oh well. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the info. :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL, take a lancet with you when you try on shoes..jab the bits that aren't covered, if you find a bit that doesn't feel sharp and just pressure, it's a loser and try another pair :mad:

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Insert expletive here.....:arghh:
Having only been diagnosed with it during the winter, it never even occurred to me that sandals etc might be no longer an option until today. Oh well. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the info. :)

If you have the possibility of numb feet then there is the chance that you might injure your food and not notice it. While you are not noticing it the foot might become infected. The infection can lead anywhere including gangrene and amputation.. Look after your feet. Protect your feet. You never know, you might want to stand up one day.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Hooked

Don't despair, I have neuropathy in my feet, at the moment I am in a plaster cast due to the bones in my foot collapsing from it but that's another story. There are some feminine shoes, Mary Jane styles in soft leather with cut out bits on sites like Pavers and some more dainty trainers with open bits at Skechers. They are really soft and comfortable like an old favourite pair of trainers but you can wear them with skirts, dresses in the summer whilst still looking like an elegant lady :). My podiatrist threatens me with all sorts if I choose to wander round in open toe sandals but there are pretty things out there for summer that protect the damaged parts. Hope you find something to your taste.

H

Hooked

LOL, take a lancet with you when you try on shoes..jab the bits that aren't covered, if you find a bit that doesn't feel sharp and just pressure, it's a loser and try another pair :mad:
Lol, you'd make one evil shoe sales person!

H

Hooked

If you have the possibility of numb feet then there is the chance that you might injure your food and not notice it. While you are not noticing it the foot might become infected. The infection can lead anywhere including gangrene and amputation.. Look after your feet. Protect your feet. You never know, you might want to stand up one day.

Well aren't you a bundle of light.
I'm aware of the problems neuropathy may cause. That's why I'm on here asking before going skipping through the fields barefoot.
Thanks.

T1Taz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like my toes so I always wear pumps, the right ones look cute with maxi dresses

Reactions: 4 people
H

Hooked

Hi Hooked

Don't despair, I have neuropathy in my feet, at the moment I am in a plaster cast due to the bones in my foot collapsing from it but that's another story. There are some feminine shoes, Mary Jane styles in soft leather with cut out bits on sites like Pavers and some more dainty trainers with open bits at Skechers. They are really soft and comfortable like an old favourite pair of trainers but you can wear them with skirts, dresses in the summer whilst still looking like an elegant lady :). My podiatrist threatens me with all sorts if I choose to wander round in open toe sandals but there are pretty things out there for summer that protect the damaged parts. Hope you find something to your taste.

Ah, perfect. I'll have to look these shoes up and see where sells them in town. Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions, much appreciated. :)

H

Hooked

I don't like my toes so I always wear pumps, the right ones look cute with maxi dresses

Thanks Taz. I'm so useless when it comes to fashion, as my daughters tell me on a regular basis. Will look out for that style of shoes. :)

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wear Decathalon shoes a lot. There are some really quite pretty ones which aren't open toed and are light but still have good soles. In fact I swear by this shop for lots of stuff. I think they are expanding in UK now.

I hope you find something safe that you like.
Jane.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well aren't you a bundle of light.
I'm aware of the problems neuropathy may cause. That's why I'm on here asking before going skipping through the fields barefoot.
Thanks.

Perhaps you shouldn't have asked.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also a big fan of Skechers. They do have some cute summery type Mary Janes and other styles that might suit, depending on how dressy your dresses are. Your feet can look mega cute and still be protected. :)