Help! I have so much weight to lose

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I will be cycling ever. I was put off when my kids were small and hubby went cycling with them. Somehow he managed to collide with a large stone and one of their back wheels, the child was fine and carried on regardless. Husband hit the road, literally, and badly cracked his cycling helmet, which he was only wearing because I told him he had to set a good example for the kids.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I struggled to get out of bed and straighten up. I had to use the 'grab the back of the dining room chair which is next to the bed in case of emergencies' method to get out of bed. My lower back is still quite painful, so I will need to have some bed rest again during the day. I know this is par for the course and is simply a reaction to all the chiropractic treatment to the top bit of my spine and ribs yesterday. I will be sensible and not sit here at the computer for too long because I want to be fit for Saturday.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi remember the 30minute challenge starts Monday for 42 days.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thanks Jamrox. Will have to stay away from the swimming pool for a while. So have to do several short sessions of moving about throughout the day to a total of 30mins.
I do like your sideways photo by the way.
Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I will be cycling ever. I was put off when my kids were small and hubby went cycling with them. Somehow he managed to collide with a large stone and one of their back wheels, the child was fine and carried on regardless. Husband hit the road, literally, and badly cracked his cycling helmet, which he was only wearing because I told him he had to set a good example for the kids.
I could if someone designed a cycle that you only need to use one leg for. My left leg doesn't work properly, so if I just pedal with right leg would I go round in circles?

Zand, I notice you also had an aversion to swimming pools, but yesterday mentioned you were buying a swimsuit!

Just sayin'!
Pipp

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Pipp glad you are on board.
I tried for half an hour to put it on the right way up then gave up lol

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp glad you are on board.
I tried for half an hour to put it on the right way up then gave up lol

Why move with the masses. Sideways photo gives a different perspective. You could be starting a new slant on things here.

Pipp

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could if someone designed a cycle that you only need to use one leg for. My left leg doesn't work properly, so if I just pedal with right leg would I go round in circles? Zand, I notice you also had an aversion to swimming pools, but yesterday mentioned you were buying a swimsuit! Just sayin'! Pipp

lol, Sigh,...... yes I thought some bright spark might say this! I will not be changing my mind about cycling though. Now, an exercise bike is part of the long term plan. I have been interested in getting one for some time, but not for miles and miles of exercise, I can do that with walking. No, I want one so that I can try those short bursts of extreme exercise that are meant to help you lose weight more effectively. This is what I meant earlier by trying different types of exercise. I was unable to try this when it was originally on TV -'the truth about exercise' because my heart was still in AF. I am working on getting my heart fitter first then I will try it. I have already looked at exercise bikes (at Christmas) and alot of them are only for people who weigh less than 17 stones, so I want to lose a bit more weight then I will have a better choice.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lol, Sigh,...... yes I thought some bright spark might say this! I will not be changing my mind about cycling though. Now, an exercise bike is part of the long term plan. I have been interested in getting one for some time, but not for miles and miles of exercise, I can do that with walking. No, I want one so that I can try those short bursts of extreme exercise that are meant to help you lose weight more effectively. This is what I meant earlier by trying different types of exercise. I was unable to try this when it was originally on TV -'the truth about exercise' because my heart was still in AF. I am working on getting my heart fitter first then I will try it. I have already looked at exercise bikes (at Christmas) and alot of them are only for people who weigh less than 17 stones, so I want to lose a bit more weight then I will have a better choice.

Thats ok, zand just thought you had issued an invitation to challenge your way of thinking.

I'm expecting someone to tell me that I could get a hand operated cycle. I know, but my hands work even more erratically than my legs. Anyone want to volunteer to take me out on a tandem? I would not be selfish, would let them do the pedalling whilst I sat behind, navigating. No, thought not.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats ok, zand just thought you had issued an invitation to challenge your way of thinking.

I'm expecting someone to tell me that I could get a hand operated cycle. I know, but my hands work even more erratically than my legs. Anyone want to volunteer to take me out on a tandem? I would not be selfish, would let them do the pedalling whilst I sat behind, navigating. No, thought not.

By the way, beware that short bursts of extreme exercise stuff. Wasn't that what Andrew Marr was doing when he had a stroke?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, that's why I'm not doing it for a while yet. When my blood pressure was really high, 5 or so years ago - 240/180, my doctor told me I was hours off having a stroke. I just need to explore all (well nearly all) avenues if I am going to succeed. Some say 'normal' cardio type exercise is bad too. I am taking warfarin anyway now, so the chances of a having stroke are very much less.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right after carefully weighing and putting everything I have eaten today and everything I am going to eat today into myfitnesspal I still have 511 calories left.............that'll be 511 calories of cheese.......yay!:)

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Pipp just done an hours walk followed by 35 min hard slog on my exercise bike. My nether regions are numb and I can't move my legs , so im lying down just like my photo lol

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

Zand I bought a second hand one and love it. I like it because its there and I feel guilty if I don't use it. I can work out as easy or hard as I want and it has made a difference to my flabby belly which walking didn't ( I live in the country and love going for walks along the river too)
Buy your bike and enjoy it .I will be easier on your joints too.

Attachments

• 1400175882125.jpg
    1400175882125.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 148
  • 1400175903024.jpg
    1400175903024.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 1400175928520.jpg
    1400175928520.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 1400175948808.jpg
    1400175948808.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 155

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Zand I bought a second hand one and love it. I like it because its there and I feel guilty if I don't use it. I can work out as easy or hard as I want and it has made a difference to my flabby belly which walking didn't ( I live in the country and love going for walks along the river too)
Buy your bike and enjoy it .I will be easier on your joints too.

I am getting a bit confused now. Jamrox, do you have a bicycle, or exercise bike.

My previously expressed concern re intense bursts of exercise on an exercise bike is due to recent reports such as that of Andrew Marr, following a programme of intense short bursts of exercise, (think his were on rowing machine) causing stroke and other medical problems. Would not want to put anyone off exercise but those of us with existing health problems, and particularly those of us of a certain age, need to be aware
Of potential problems. What do others think?

Alternatively, cycling in the great outdoors on a bicycle would be brilliant. If only someone would take me up on the tandem suggestion.

Pipp

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I am getting a bit confused now. Jamrox, do you have a bicycle, or exercise bike.

My previously expressed concern re intense bursts of exercise on an exercise bike is due to recent reports such as that of Andrew Marr, following a programme of intense short bursts of exercise, (think his were on rowing machine) causing stroke and other medical problems. Would not want to put anyone off exercise but those of us with existing health problems, and particularly those of us of a certain age, need to be aware
Of potential problems. What do others think?

Alternatively, cycling in the great outdoors on a bicycle would be brilliant. If only someone would take me up on the tandem suggestion.

Pipp
I would willingly take you up on the tandem suggestion but who would peddle?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Pipp its an exercise bike. I sit in my garage and listen to an audio book.

I had a chinese takeaway tonight . I just couldn't face healthy food again. I have done loads of exercise today and I seem to be able to eat more carbs since I started exercising but I still limit them to 100-130 ish.
We will see how I feel in another hour

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would willingly take you up on the tandem suggestion but who would peddle?
Not me, unless you wanted to go round in ever decreasing circles until you disappeared.........

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp its an exercise bike. I sit in my garage and listen to an audio book.

I had a chinese takeaway tonight . I just couldn't face healthy food again. I have done loads of exercise today and I seem to be able to eat more carbs since I started exercising but I still limit them to 100-130 ish.
We will see how I feel in another hour

Good one Jamrox

I know someone who uses static cycles at gym, which show calories used. Then she heads to takeaway to replace them.