What are some of the best ways to tell people you're diabetic?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have probably asked this before, but I have had diabetes since I was 10, and I am still having trouble telling people I am diabetic, I don't know why, but I just find it really hard to say. Is anyone else the same?

I have tried in the past to hint to people by getting out my blood glucose kit and doing a test in front of people, but they either don't notice, think its my phone or I panic at the last minute when I think they've seen and make it more hidden.. I have always had a problem testing/injecting in front of people. I've seen other people when I was at school just getting it out and doing it on the table. How could I get more confident in not worrying what people think/telling people?

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
I have been T1 for 6 years and I was exactly the same until very recently. Only my immediate family and a few close friends knew I was T1 and it was mainly due to needing to make them aware of what to do if I was hypo that I told them about diabetes.

I was constantly going to the bathroom to inject or test my blood if we were out for a meal as I didn't want people staring or saying 'what's wrong with you?' Then having to have that awkward discussion and giving explanations about diabetes.

It was my diabetic nurse who changed my view on the whole situation. She explained that it is far from hygienic to be testing or injecting in a public bathroom and advised me that if people are rude enough to stare when I'm testing/injecting then I should stare back! It really is sheer ignorance on some peoples part, but in most cases I've realised that people are understanding, diabetes is so common these days that most people either know someone with the disease or recognise an insulin pen and glucose metre when they see one.

I hope that you're confidence grows the same way mines has, take care :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww thank you, that is true, i guess she's right about it being unhygienic.. it is hard though! I guess some people are naturally okay with telling people, but others like us find it harder.

It's not that I dont want people to know.. I actually really do because they're always so lovely and supportive and its interesting to tell people what we have to go through... I suppose I sometimes feel like I don't know how to deal with actually getting to the point of telling people if you get me?
Maybe its just me and im strange haha i dont know

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I was a little shy of telling people at first but now I just don't care. If I need to tell someone due to a work related issue i.e. I have to refuse overtime or when discussing contract matters, I don't hesitate. They generally feel more uncomfortable than me :)

Other than that I only tell people when necessary , I also let gossip take it's course..........

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would only tell people if necessary that I have diabetes, otherwise I would mention it in conversation if the subject of health or diabetes came up.

You don't have to worry about what people think as there are something like 3.2 million diabetics in the UK and a possible 600,000 undiagnosed, no one needs to make a song and dance about having it, but just the same its not something that we should be ashamed of either.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jab 200u of apidra into their arm and then explain what's about to happen to them. :dead:

Just kidding obviously.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well i'm type 1 for 6 weeks now, and i think the way is just be frank and up front about it, because they will probably be the 1's who help you if you have hypo...............and get a wrist band with 'type 1 diabetic' on, that should make it easier to let people know. you carn't help being diabetic, don't know what stigma you have attached to diabetes, but try and shake it as soon as possible. hope this helps:pompous:

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Jab 200u of apidra into their arm and then explain what's about to happen to them. :dead:

Just kidding obviously.
I am laughing so hard. I'm about a year of membership into the club and when I was first diagnosed I would slink off to the bathroom and 'shoot up' there as if I was an addict.

Now, I just pull out the pen and give myself a quick injection right where I am at as if it was no big deal. No one seems overly freaked out or so it seems - perhaps that is why I'm not getting asked out much lately - JK (-;

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know.. sometimes I feel like people will think its disgusting like when you test your sugars/inject, I'm so self concious about it and I wish I wasnt!
I also never liked at school when you would test, the teacher would think it was your phone and then the embarrassment would follow, of having to admit to the whole class what it is and them feeling awkward about it.. :/

Reactions: 5 people

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
its bad enough that we have to test and inject anyway, why hide away to do it...come out of the diabetic closet and just get on with it. you'll probably find that people will respect you more for it, then ask questions and want to know more about it, then there's no more problem, what do you have to lose eh!!!

Reactions: 11 people

Dee_226

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Just kidding obviously.
For a type 2 who knows very little of type 1 medicines, would you please explain what would happen? I need a laugh and am sure I am about to all but wet myself when I find out the answer.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have been T1 for 6 years and I was exactly the same until very recently. Only my immediate family and a few close friends knew I was T1 and it was mainly due to needing to make them aware of what to do if I was hypo that I told them about diabetes.

I was constantly going to the bathroom to inject or test my blood if we were out for a meal as I didn't want people staring or saying 'what's wrong with you?' Then having to have that awkward discussion and giving explanations about diabetes.

It was my diabetic nurse who changed my view on the whole situation. She explained that it is far from hygienic to be testing or injecting in a public bathroom and advised me that if people are rude enough to stare when I'm testing/injecting then I should stare back! It really is sheer ignorance on some peoples part, but in most cases I've realised that people are understanding, diabetes is so common these days that most people either know someone with the disease or recognise an insulin pen and glucose metre when they see one.

I hope that you're confidence grows the same way mines has, take care :)

Congratulations @kim I've had virtually no rude people comment and a number of people come up afterwards and talk about their own condition - one person had told no one not even her husband for 20-years

faeoj

you have ro remember that you didn't chose this to happen to your body and that injections and testing keep you alive! I found the easiest way to tell people was to drop it into conversation and then say straight away right ask any questions now! sometimes they are more nervous than you and just want to know about things so they can be more supportive! hope this helps!

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wear a bracelet so some people have spotted it and asked what it is for.

I've always found that people are just interested and wanted to find out more.

Of course I have had the odd person who gets squeamish and hates needles, but they've still found it interesting.

A bracelet could be a good way for people to find out. You could choose quite a subtle bracelet (I've got a silver one from medic alert) or a more in your face wrist band.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Runner wrote : one person had told no one not even her husband for 20-years"

Now that is truly sad :(
Having diabetes is nothing to be ashamed of, and while I agree that very few of us like to draw attention to ourselves, it really is unacceptable that we should feel we have to hide a away in a toilet to test or inject not to mention unhygienic as has already been said.

I test and inject in public though discreetly as I can ,( I don't bare my bum LOL ) Mostly people are just curious and may ask questions out of that curiosity that I'm happy enough to answer ;) I've had a few experiences with needle squeamish folk, but I've never been " in your face " about it and it's their choice to look. It's my choice to manage diabetes the best as I can and also my choice not to have to use a toilet to do so.;)

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would only tell people if necessary that I have diabetes, otherwise I would mention it in conversation if the subject of health or diabetes came up.

You don't have to worry about what people think as there are something like 3.2 million diabetics in the UK and a possible 600,000 undiagnosed, no one needs to make a song and dance about having it, but just the same its not something that we should be ashamed of either.

For some reason I seem to remember that figure of diabetics diagnosed in the UK back in the early/mid 80's...?
It stuck in my mind because it was the same figure for the unemployed about that time too...!?

Though I was and always am lucky to be in gainful employment while a few of my friends were struggling..
& while still classing myself as one of "Thatcher's jilted generation " I only ever met one other diabetic rather briefly (an older guy) when his girlfriend blurted he was diabetic at a function & my mother looking at the pint he was nursing in his hand enquired "should you be drinking that"?
Though I was too young to drink alcohol at that time, I shared his pain.... We both winced at her comment.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Easy for me. I have lost so much weight that people ask me if I am ill. I just say yes. If they ask what is wrong I tell them.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For a type 2 who knows very little of type 1 medicines, would you please explain what would happen? I need a laugh and am sure I am about to all but wet myself when I find out the answer.
Well that is a massive amount of very fast acting insulin so quite possibly the non diabetic person would get to experience a hypo and see what all the fuss is about.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
For some reason I seem to remember that figure of diabetics diagnosed in the UK back in the early/mid 80's...?
It stuck in my mind because it was the same figure for the unemployed about that time too...!?

Though I was and always am lucky to be in gainful employment while a few of my friends were struggling..
& while still classing myself as one of "Thatcher's jilted generation " I only ever met one other diabetic rather briefly (an older guy) when his girlfriend blurted he was diabetic at a function & my mother looking at the pint he was nursing in his hand enquired "should you be drinking that"?
Though I was too young to drink alcohol at that time, I shared his pain.... We both winced at her comment.

Yes it wasn't a good time in the early 80's if you were looking for work Jaylee, just the same I'm sure we had some good times back then ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it wasn't a good time in the early 80's if you were looking for work Jaylee, just the same I'm sure we had some good times back then ;)

Crikey, yes indeed. I can't moan really... That era was what it was.. I wouldn't change nuffin'.... :cool:
.... Well, apart from looking like a member of U2.!? :***:

Reactions: 4 people