Help! I have so much weight to lose

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't intending to post today but here I am anyway. I had a lovely walk this morning....on my own......I knew I would be because my new friend (!) told me she wouldn't be back until Saturday. It was spectacular this morning because the valley was filled with early morning mist and It was so beautiful. I missed the sunrise though because I was on the wrong bit of my walk at that time.

I really wish I could find that swimsuit to return. I hate it when I can't complete something. I know it's my fault because I am so untidy but all that is changing. My personality has changed a lot in the last 3 days and I can't bear the mess anymore, I just want everything clean and tidy now. I suppose I allowed the mess to build up because it felt safer not to let anyone in, so if it's messy I can't let them in, but I don't feel like that anymore. I just have so much to do I can't waste time looking for a lost swimsuit.

Apart from the swimsuit issue, my emotions seem to be settling down a bit now. Let's hope things stay that way, at least for a while.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Zand I ve just seen a lovely Robin in my garden. Glad you enjoyed your walk.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

Attachments

• 1400658060428.jpg
    1400658060428.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 154

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

Attachments

• 1400658136857.jpg
    1400658136857.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 141

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Sorry for invading yout post Vand . I was practicing . Delete if you wish I won't be offended, they are a mistake anyway.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be daft Jamrox, it's fine. You delete them if you really want to. I was hoping for another one - where the cute little robin attacks the snail and eats it for breakfast. .....

Thanks for your help yesterday, I realised my initial post was incomplete but couldn't find the energy to do anything about it until you made your observations. Something really strange happened just now, I bumped into two women I used to know (during that awful time 15-18 years ago.) These two were just on the edge of what happened, never caught up in the middle of it all, it was really good to talk to them again. Isn't it odd that I met them today of all days? I rarely see either of them. Yesterday morning I wouldn't have bothered stopping to chat to them.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't even know how much I weigh , just what I have lost( 7lbs in two weeks- go me!! It'll get harder soon)- I make my husband weigh me and log it secretly and made the DN do the same at my first appointment yesterday. It is all about taking lots of tiny steps to change whether it is weight loss, diet or emotional well-being. I wish you the best of luck with all of them as I know how inextricably bound up the three are. My Mum who used to be very overweight herself and suffered from agoraphobia recently said to me that breaking out of the eating/emotions vicious circle is hard but once you lose a bit of weight or improve your diet then you find you can cope with the emotions far better than you thought and the cycle stops or gets less frequent. At the risk of appearing sexist, I think that food and weight are such a big baggage for women- we have all the hormonal upsets every month, the upheaval of pregnancy and menopause which can lock us into a cycle of highs and lows and carb addiction at the same time as we are beating ourselves up about not being the perfect wife. mother, friend etc. I keep telling myself I can only do the best I can on each given day and that as long as I try, even if I fail, that is good enough. You are doing so well so far. Keep it up. xxx

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't even know how much I weigh , just what I have lost( 7lbs in two weeks- go me!! It'll get harder soon)- I make my husband weigh me and log it secretly and made the DN do the same at my first appointment yesterday. It is all about taking lots of tiny steps to change whether it is weight loss, diet or emotional well-being. I wish you the best of luck with all of them as I know how inextricably bound up the three are. My Mum who used to be very overweight herself and suffered from agoraphobia recently said to me that breaking out of the eating/emotions vicious circle is hard but once you lose a bit of weight or improve your diet then you find you can cope with the emotions far better than you thought and the cycle stops or gets less frequent. At the risk of appearing sexist, I think that food and weight are such a big baggage for women- we have all the hormonal upsets every month, the upheaval of pregnancy and menopause which can lock us into a cycle of highs and lows and carb addiction at the same time as we are beating ourselves up about not being the perfect wife. mother, friend etc. I keep telling myself I can only do the best I can on each given day and that as long as I try, even if I fail, that is good enough. You are doing so well so far. Keep it up. xxx
Well done on your weight loss cold ethyl and I so love the name! Brilliant. Inspired. Yes I agree with all you say. I seem to have broken out of the eating/emotions vicious circle which is a good thing, but that's why I am having so many emotional days now, I don't have the ability to comfort eat them all away anymore. Today is good so far and that's where the little steps come in for me. The diet and exercise bit is well under way, it's just life I have to cope with. Thanks so much for the encouragement and it's good to hear how well you are doing too. x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take it 7lbs at a time. I get scared when I dwell on total weight loss needed!Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.
That's the good thing with Slimming World, they give you small targets - every half stone so that is something to work towards. I'm not even really sure what my total to lose is, because I will have to reassess it when I get close, so I have another year or so to think about that! (Oh dear that does sound daunting, a whole year)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forget about the time. It will happen as long as you control diet and get more active step by step. It's too easy to gain weight and bloody hard to lose! Temptation is everywhere.

Have to say though, my diagnosis has changed me forever. To me it's life or death. There's no option to fail now.

And bloody diets just don't work! I've been on one my whole life. So frustrating!!!

I do believe I'll get there in the end and it doesn't matter how long it takes me. There's no race.

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not thinking of this as a diet but as a way of life that I need to adapt to, though as the DN said yesterday, no one expects a heavy smoker to give up overnight or without setbacks so you just have to do the best you can and be kind to yourself when you do slip up. I had counselling many years ago and one of the key concepts was that of being a compassionate friend to ourselves just as much as to others. There is no race No date that you have to have lost weight by, just the tiny steps that will bring you to a happier and healthier place every day. I have set an interim goal of losing 3st by the end of summer. I don't know if this will be enough as I don't know what I weigh so will adjust this when I allow them to tell me what I weigh. Small achievable goals are always the best ones to set as you are less likely to fail. Today I said I would clean a kitchen window as part of my 30 minutes exercise as I can't leave the phone till later and just ticking it off mentally has made me feel better. Onwards and downwards is my new motto. I don't always feel upbeat and if I'm honest I sometimes just want to curl up in ball and hibernate forever but I am where I am and need to just pull up my BGK and do it.
Ethyl x

Reactions: 5 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Cold ethyl I feel the same.
Its a lifestyle not a diet.
I was 13 stone 17 months ago . I was diagnosed 13months ago and in total ( since Jan 2013 Ive lost 25lb.
Its taken a while because I wanted to make small changes at a time , reduce carbs , stop snacking, exercise etc etc.I didn't want to crash and burn so to speak.

How do you eat an elephant ?
In small chunks :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now see for me, I did the lifestyle bit for more than a couple of years with very little weight loss, so this is a diet because I am having to be careful in order to lose weight. The good thing though is when I get to my ideal weight, then I have already done the lifestyle bit in the past and I just need to revert to that to maintain it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I won't be able to get online much for 10 days or so, and I won't be able to weigh for 2 weeks, 'cos we will be going away soon. So see you then
x

Reactions: 2 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I won't be able to get online much for 10 days or so, and I won't be able to weigh for 2 weeks, 'cos we will be going away soon. So see you then
x

have a fab time away x

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hope you have a great time zand. Where are you off to

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Boston Massachusetts! I don't want to go now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I am soooo jealous. Boston is on my bucket list.It has been ever since I watched cheers as a little girl. "Making your way in the world today takes everything you got. Taking a break from all your worries ......