My blood is boiling...

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. My surgery changed to MyLife Pura meters last Autumn, but we were all invited in for a meeting to try the new meter and asked if we wanted to change to it. We were told we could stay with our current strips if we wanted to. Most changed over and this meter seems very good. Do argue your case

Thanks Daibell, I think my surgery should have done that instead of sending out this letter stating that I must change!

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, sorry! I misread that last night - Contour meter as Mediatronic contour. :rolleyes:
All the same, you still have special requirements as the two listed on the memo do NOT link with your pump, and as far as I am aware, any other pump either .

I think Fergus made an excellent point re supplying you with another pump, but then they would still have to prescribe another meter to link with that :confused: Seriously, I don't think you will have any problems staying with the one you have. However, the more people who cannot, for whatever reason, use the two they want to use make it clear that it's not acceptable to arbitrarily change everybody without consultation, the better.

I dunno about you, but I'm getting a bit sick of this. in my case, the meter change, and this last week the change to third rate needles that I wouldn't accept :mad:

Signy
Thanks Heathenlass. It makes me so cross that the NHS are not considering their patients throughout their cost cutting exercise. It's not our fault we got this horrible autoimmune disease, so why should we suffer anymore just because they want to save money? I will be telling them tomorrow that I saved the NHS thousands of pounds by the fact that I got this pump and linked meter in Australia, funding it myself! I will take it further if they refuse to keep my contour strips on my repeat prescription! I will not be dictated to when it comes to my own health...life is too precious!

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Geordie Lass

My practice did the same thing sending me a revised prescription for strips to a new meter. I rang the practice manager and explained that my Contour meter sends the results to my Medtronic pump and she changed everything back to how it was, no issue or argument. The only slight issue seems to be the local pharmacy has to order the Bayer strips in when I put in a repeat prescription as they don't get much call for them in my area now. The manager apologised and said pump users weren't supposed to be included in the blanket change to the new meter.

Hi flowerpot. Thanks for that advice. I am hoping that will be the case in my situation. I tried speaking with the practice manager on Friday but she wasn't in at the time of my call. So I will try tomorrow. My local pharmacy also has to order my contour strips in but they come the following day so no issue there.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not sure they are allowed to mess you about without consultation, but if you just accept their word, they get their way without.
If you stand up to them with a reasoned arguement, they will probably back down. If not write to the local CCG.
Hana

Reactions: 2 people

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure they are allowed to mess you about without consultation, but if you just accept their word, they get their way without.
If you stand up to them with a reasoned arguement, they will probably back down. If not write to the local CCG.
Hana

Hi Hana, thanks for your post. No, I certainly won't let them mess me about and I certainly won't just accept their decision either. I've had trouble with this practice before and I've only been registered with them since October! Ooh, can't wait for tomorrow! :D

G

graj0

What an incredibly daft way for your surgery to suggest that you change anything about YOUR care, whether it be monitoring device, medication or whatever.
How about, when you go tomorrow you just say that you felt the request was poorly written and sounded more like a demand and under the circumstances (syncing with pump etc etc) you'll not be accepting their generous offer any time soon. The last bit might need some practice so that you can make it as sarcastic as possible.
Surgeries and the staff working there, including medically trained members of staff, can be a funny lot. My last surgery seemed to catch being an (expletive deleted) off the senior partner, he really was a .............
At least with my present surgery if I received something similar I'd be able to discuss the issues without me getting high blood pressure.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The new meter they are suggesting is the Element. Of course it doesn't sync to my insulin pump like my current meter.
looked it up and the Element strips are £9.89 for 50 and your contour strips are £15.04 for 50!

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What an incredibly daft way for your surgery to suggest that you change anything about YOUR care, whether it be monitoring device, medication or whatever.
How about, when you go tomorrow you just say that you felt the request was poorly written and sounded more like a demand and under the circumstances (syncing with pump etc etc) you'll not be accepting their generous offer any time soon. The last bit might need some practice so that you can make it as sarcastic as possible.
Surgeries and the staff working there, including medically trained members of staff, can be a funny lot. My last surgery seemed to catch being an (expletive deleted) off the senior partner, he really was a .............
At least with my present surgery if I received something similar I'd be able to discuss the issues without me getting high blood pressure.

Lol! Yes, the practice are quite daft! Thanks for your advice. Will try and be as sarcastic as possible!

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
looked it up and the Element strips are £9.89 for 50 and your contour strips are £15.04 for 50!

Hi Fergus, thanks for looking that up. I did see the difference in price on a memo that I saw. I knew it was down to a cost cutting exercise, but to be honest, that's not my problem! I didn't ask for this condition so why should I suffer any more just because they want to save money! Tomorrow is getting closer. Can't wait to see what happens!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi Fergus, thanks for looking that up. I did see the difference in price on a memo that I saw. I knew it was down to a cost cutting exercise, but to be honest, that's not my problem! I didn't ask for this condition so why should I suffer any more just because they want to save money! Tomorrow is getting closer. Can't wait to see what happens!
I know that.
I just thought the figures would allow you to be forearmed in the duel with the "cheese parers"

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck, and take no prisoners !:D

Let us know how you got on and what they said . I suspect you will be slightly dissappointed if they say "Oh. OK then" !:rolleyes:

Will be thinking of you!

Signy

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck, and take no prisoners !:D

Let us know how you got on and what they said . I suspect you will be slightly dissappointed if they say "Oh. OK then" !:rolleyes:

Will be thinking of you!

Signy

Thanks Heathenlass. Will definitely be posting tomorrow about how I get on. Ooh, I won't be able to sleep tonight...the adrenalin and excitement is building...I could burst! :p I hope I don't get too disappointed...I am expecting a fight! :bored:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
G

graj0

I came to this thread quite late and therefore tried to read the whole thing in one go. Apart from my previous comment I would just like to say that I have lost count of the number of times I've gone into a situation "ready for a fight", "prepared to stand my corner", armed with all the relevant information, only to find that there was no need, I've just said what I thought and the response has been "Oh yes, we understand completely". I hope you have a pleasant meeting today and the situation is resolved without any issues. Have a lovely day.

Reactions: 4 people

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I received a letter from my GP surgery today telling me that the practice has reviewed all Type 1 patients with the blood glucose monitoring and that I am having my blood glucose monitor changed to a recommended one and that my repeat prescription for blood testing strips will be changed to the new meter strips. I was absolutely furious as I was never consulted over this, neither was I given a choice as to whether I want to keep my own meter or move to a new one. The reason why I am so furious is because my current meter is synced to my insulin pump, so records my blood sugar levels automatically to my pump. Why should I be inconvenienced just because the surgery is having a cost cutting exercise, at the expense of their patients. This is so disempowering and I really feel very angry that the surgery can even do this. Of course, I tried to contact the nurse who sent me the letter, but guess what...she was not in today! What a surprise! So will be speaking with them on Monday and telling them that I am not changing my meter. Has anyone else had this same problem and how have you dealt with it?
hi geordie,seems like a lot of people are going through sudden changes just like you and are not being warned it is just happening and some of the new meters are not as accurate some have had to have them changed, i feel sorry for all diabetes whether type 1 or type 2 etc, all diabetics should be treated with the up most respect and care, if the health system is running out of funds they should be honest to public and work on another solution so they do not have to give up there meter and especially meters that are accurate and working for them, some people are not being prescribed meters and need them and that is hard for them to when they need to keep an eye on there sugar and can not and they can not keep in control or check there levels on how foods and drinks are reacting with them, without them there is no real hope medicines can not always be relied on or trusted, if people can not have meters they need to rethink on how the people will need to have regular checks other wise a health hazard will happen the nhs will be over worked when people end up rushed in to hospital with all kinds of complications with diabetes and also hypo and hypers because not all will be able to keep sugars under control and it won't be the patients fault, it will be there fault putting everyone through it, i was told not to have a meter and even though i got my own i was told not to use it, i ignored my doctor i do use it and it is saving my life with out it i would not be able to control me sugars because foods that affect me i would not know i would be in a real mess, now i know i can take those foods out me diet and eat foods helping me keep sugars low, things like artificial processed food affect my sugars, chocolate is a no no to, i think you need to fight for your rights, do not give up your meter, it is your choice not there's, if this is helping you keep it, and if they do not listen tell them they will have to face the consequences if anything happens to your health and you will sue them, they will have to listen and take you seriously, all accurate meters are being withdrawn and faulty non accurate meters are being given out instead, that will mess up your blood sugars with false readings then it will cause you to end up worse off not knowing what is working for you, so please keep all record of food drink you have ate that you know does not affect your glucose level, the things you know is harming you keep a note of that to and the times, because if you know the new meter messes up, you got your back up already what you listed is safe to eat and drink, and you can still buy your meter on the net if they take the one you have off you, please do not give up you pump you need it. hugs xx

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many thanks everyone for your replies and concerns. I had a call this morning from my practice manager and I explained to her the situation about needing to keep my meter as it links up to my insulin pump. I was so ready for any conflict. She replied "that's ok, the letter was written incorrectly and we are giving patients the choice of keeping their old meters or renewing them". What an ANTICLIMAX!!!:rolleyes:

So, I am keeping my contour link meter and my repeat prescription has not been changed and will not be changed! Thank goodness that little problem is now resolved. I can continue with my diabetes monitoring knowing that my meter will give me accurate readings. :)

Reactions: 7 people

skippy64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I received a letter from my GP surgery today telling me that the practice has reviewed all Type 1 patients with the blood glucose monitoring and that I am having my blood glucose monitor changed to a recommended one and that my repeat prescription for blood testing strips will be changed to the new meter strips. I was absolutely furious as I was never consulted over this, neither was I given a choice as to whether I want to keep my own meter or move to a new one. The reason why I am so furious is because my current meter is synced to my insulin pump, so records my blood sugar levels automatically to my pump. Why should I be inconvenienced just because the surgery is having a cost cutting exercise, at the expense of their patients. This is so disempowering and I really feel very angry that the surgery can even do this. Of course, I tried to contact the nurse who sent me the letter, but guess what...she was not in today! What a surprise! So will be speaking with them on Monday and telling them that I am not changing my meter. Has anyone else had this same problem and how have you dealt with it?
Can new machines not be synced in the same way?