do i buy test strips????

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
well I bought myself a self tester for blood glucose but on my first try I wasted 5 tester strips ( me doing it wrong lol) so been round town today looking to buy some more tester strips which I have found and the chemist saying they rather expensive and I could get them on prescription so just called into doctors and they wont give them on prescription just being told that believe in the medication (metformin) will do its job and don`t get distressed about it and keep it for later down the line so I`m asking for an opinion that should I buy them myself or just wait and see when the next time I see the nurse as I was using it to see which foods was effecting me more and to pat myself on the back if I was doing well lol

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I get mine on ebay. No chance of getting them from my GP ever so have given up on that idea.

It is early days for you Roy, so now is the best time to be testing. The metformin doesn't do much for you levels. Low carbs and self testing is the best plan for you. All the best.

Reactions: 6 people

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
I get mine on ebay. No chance of getting them from my GP ever so have given up on that idea.

It is early days for you Roy, so now is the best time to be testing. The metformin doesn't do much for you levels. Low carbs and self testing is the best plan for you. All the best.

thanks avocado for advice that's what I thought so I can keep an eye for my sugar levels and see if the things im eating are keeping my sugar levels down well will bite the bullet and buy some myself and thanks again and all the the best to you also

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Was it the reception staff that told you that you couldn't get them on prescription, if so then it might be worth booking an appointment with your Dr or DN, some type 2's get them on prescription others don't, the only way of knowing is by asking the Dr or DN direct.

By all accounts the SD Codefree meter seems to have the cheapest strips at around £6-7 a box.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Roy, welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately, most surgery's won't give strips on prescriptions to T2 diabetics. A lot of people on here get the SD Codefree meter from Amazon as the strips are much cheaper than other brands.

Regardless of what your Dr or DSN says it is important to test your blood glucose before and 2 hours after eating to see how your food has affected your bg. Have a good look round the site and learn as much as you can, the important thing is not to panick or get anxious you have plenty of time to get your head round it.

Have a look at the attached website it explains about Low Carb. www.dietdoctor.com

We are all very friendly, so if you have any questions please ask

Marilyn

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Was it the reception staff that told you that you couldn't get them on prescription, if so then it might be worth booking an appointment with your Dr or DN, some type 2's get them on prescription others don't, the only way of knowing is by asking the Dr or DN direct.

By all accounts the SD Codefree meter seems to have the cheapest strips at around £6-7 a box.

I bought the medisana test kit as was only a tenner but strips are 20 quid for 50 I spoke to reception about if I could get them on prescription which she did speak with the nurse I seen and it was the nurse who told her that to leave it for now so that's why im asking for opinions really

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I bought the medisana test kit as was only a tenner but strips are 20 quid for 50 I spoke to reception about if I could get them on prescription which she did speak with the nurse I seen and it was the nurse who told her that to leave it for now so that's why im asking for opinions really

Just my opinion Royster, but I'd book an appointment with your gp and put a case forward for wanting and needing test strips to manage your diabetes, who knows they might listen. Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Hi Roy, welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately, most surgery's won't give strips on prescriptions to T2 diabetics. A lot of people on here get the SD Codefree meter from Amazon as the strips are much cheaper than other brands.

Regardless of what your Dr or DSN says it is important to test your blood glucose before and 2 hours after eating to see how your food has affected your bg. Have a good look round the site and learn as much as you can, the important thing is not to panick or get anxious you have plenty of time to get your head round it.

Have a look at the attached website it explains about Low Carb. www.dietdoctor.com

We are all very friendly, so if you have any questions please ask

Marilyn

hi mazzer thanks for info and I will also look on www.dietdoctor.com I am very glad I came on this forum all info as been great ive had more information on here than I received at the doctors

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Just my opinion Royster, but I'd book an appointment with your gp and put a case forward for wanting and needing test strips to manage your diabetes, who knows they might listen. Good luck!!!!

thanks noblehead I think I will well got nothing to loose they can only say no

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Roy, to be honest, the advice you get from the Doctor is not always the best. I joined this Forum when first diagnosed because I didn't get any advice either and it was the best thing I ever did. The NHS advice on diet is way out of date for T2 diabetics, so stick with us if you want to control your levels.

All the best

Marilyn

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Hi Roy, to be honest, the advice you get from the Doctor is not always the best. I joined this Forum when first diagnosed because I didn't get any advice either and it was the best thing I ever did. The NHS advice on diet is way out of date for T2 diabetics, so stick with us if you want to control your levels.

All the best

Marilyn

hi mazzer totally agree with you docs don't seem to know really its all about cost cutting with them and I have found more out on this website than any where else so i`ve no intension of going anywhere else lol

all the best

roy

Reactions: 5 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi mazzer totally agree with you docs don't seem to know really its all about cost cutting with them and I have found more out on this website than any where else so i`ve no intension of going anywhere else lol

all the best

roy
Hi Roy - Mazza is so right!! I have learnt so much from this great forum, only diagnosed 13 days ago and given little info from the doctors- now, I'm ten days into lchf and got my first 6's on tests!!

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Hi Roy - Mazza is so right!! I have learnt so much from this great forum, only diagnosed 13 days ago and given little info from the doctors- now, I'm ten days into lchf and got my first 6's on tests!!

hi kimbo I got diagnosed on 24th of june this year so all new to me too and yeah mazza got it spot on but ive have had a lot of good advice on this forum more than what I got from docs on my first result I got 67 at the docs sky high so on Tuesday when I bought my own tester kit it was 9.1 and yesterday it was 11.1 so it risen again a bit but its miles better than it was lol

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roy - had my meter a week and its fab!! Learnt so much here, 16 days on from diagnosed and im so in to this- lchf and good levels, really think its down to what i have learned here.....lets beat this together!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Roy,

You have already had lots of advice, and you have found out yourself that the meters are cheap but test strips aren't :mad:

I have SDcodefree, was buying stips via amazon until I found out on here I could buy direct from HomeandHealth website and get discount code for next order,

I think the best way to manage diabetes is to find out how different foods affect blood sugars,

Remember its early days and you will get it wrong sometimes. There will be times when you get high reading - but testing and recording will help you learn how your body reacts to different foods and in different amounts.

Many T2's find a low carb eating plan helps, there are separate forums giving lots of advice on different types of eating plans

Reactions: 3 people

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Roy - had my meter a week and its fab!! Learnt so much here, 16 days on from diagnosed and im so in to this- lchf and good levels, really think its down to what i have learned here.....lets beat this together!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
true kimbo well my sugar levels have dropped to 7.9 now 10 days after being diagnosed so with the results im getting now is a lot better than what it was at start and can`t agree more lets us both beat this x

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Hi Roy,

You have already had lots of advice, and you have found out yourself that the meters are cheap but test strips aren't :mad:

I have SDcodefree, was buying stips via amazon until I found out on here I could buy direct from HomeandHealth website and get discount code for next order,

I think the best way to manage diabetes is to find out how different foods affect blood sugars,

Remember its early days and you will get it wrong sometimes. There will be times when you get high reading - but testing and recording will help you learn how your body reacts to different foods and in different amounts.

Many T2's find a low carb eating plan helps, there are separate forums giving lots of advice on different types of eating plans

hi scimama ive started a low carb diet not eating no choc or biscuits no sugar in my brews or on serial (which is hard work lol) well I bought my test strips but will look at the site before these run out as im not going to keep paying 20 quid for them but im chuffed with my results so far

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can't find your test strips on eBay (which is a good cheap source) and you want to stick with your current meter, you should be able to get your strips VAT free from the chemists, if you sign a form to say you're diabetic. I think that you get this option too with the purchase of the Codefree strips online.

Robbity