Are there any types of crackers that are ok?

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been writing my low carb shopping list this morning. I love a nice bit of cheese so have put that down and was wondering if there are any crackers that are ok to eat that I could put with it sometimes?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Depends on your carb tolerance.
Crackers are on the carb list, so in theory should be avoided.
Smearing them with a lot of butter helps to reduce the 'badness'.
Look at the percentage carbohydrate on the packaging.

I always struggle when I think of having 'just a little' of something which is 'not too bad'.
For me, it is better to just stay away from grain based products.
[Oh, apart from single malt whisky of course, and I break the general rules by drinking beer.]

Is there something else you can eat your cheese with?
Nice cool slice of cucumber?
I am not sure how bad an apple is compared to a cracker but I do have the occasional apple with cheese.
"An apple without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze."

So the answer is - O.K. is different for different folks, eat to your meter, but a nice piece of cheese on its own is a really good protein snack and you don't really need the cracker (although crackers, like so many other 'bad' things, are really nice with cheese).

Not really that much help, was it? :)

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 2 people

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I'm struggling trying to think of things to have for breakfast lunch and dinner atm. It's hard when you're not used to all this. I'm glad I can have chees as a snack though and hummus.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I sometimes have wholemeal cracker bread covered in Lurpack with cheese, I seem ok when I have that obviously everyone is different, maybe get a small pack of whatever crackers you like and see what your meter says when you have them? I'm a sucker for cheese n crackers too lol x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks, I'm struggling trying to think of things to have for breakfast lunch and dinner atm. It's hard when you're not used to all this. I'm glad I can have chees as a snack though and hummus.

Breakfast is the big meal of the day - sets you up and reduces the urge to 'snack'.

Good things include:
eggs scrambled in butter
egg, bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms - full English without the toast and fried potatoes
Dutch/German style - cold cheese, cold meats
No cereals!!

Lunch - any protein, veggies, salad

Dinner - same as lunch, or for traditionalists meat and three veg but no potatoes, parsnips, or other starchy root vegetables.

Oh, and nice to meat a POSH poster who has breakfast, lunch and dinner instead of breakfast, dinner and tea ;-)

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you like yogurt? This is a good breakfast with a few strawberries, raspberries or blueberries thrown in. I usually have 100g of Total Fage Natural Greek Yogurt (I have the full fat version) with 75g berries. This fills me up and keeps me going till lunch time. It is also delicious.

My lunch today will be eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomato and a slice of Hovis wholemeal 7 seeds toasted with butter. We also griddle the mushrooms in butter.

Other lunches could be salads. Tinned salmon or tuna is my preference with cherry toms, cheese, onions and Hellmans real mayonnaise, but you could have ham or other cooked meats, maybe some olives, and you can dress your salads in virgin olive oil if you prefer that to mayo. Peppers are good.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lots of crackers in the shops that are 2.5g carbs each, I buy M&S wheaten crackers but I think Jacobs do some, I have a couple for my supper at night with a bit if cheese or chicken, I know you can make low carb crackers/biscuits but I find these to fatty tasting and to be honest not as nice to eat,

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot eat crackers as they spike me .. But am good with cheddars .. With cheese and mayo with a slice of cucumber

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
how about slices of cucumber of sticks of crunchy celery with cheese

MarianL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been writing my low carb shopping list this morning. I love a nice bit of cheese so have put that down and was wondering if there are any crackers that are ok to eat that I could put with it sometimes?
The lowest carb crackers I've found are Peter's Yard Artisan crispbread. You can get them from Waitrose and they also have their own website. They're delicious.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
The lowest carb crackers I've found are Peter's Yard Artisan crispbread. You can get them from Waitrose and they also have their own website. They're delicious.
I'll have a look at these thanks.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
You can make crackers with almond flour, there's a great recipe on @Scandichic 's low carb recipe thread

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.

My fall back for breakfast is diet jelly with -
the with can be anything but I can get away with a small serve of albran but I have also used failed experimental nut flour flat bread (that all broke up) and banana is part of my diet to correct a potassium deficiency.

The jelly is a good filler so what I find I can get away with is OK too. If there is any leftovers they are my first breakfast choice and a flat bread made with nut flour and cheese or olive oil is OK too. I have some frozen mixed berries and I am about to make "jam" using pretend sugar and gelatine..

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Just my opinion but I find diet jelly disgusting....

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you let me know how they turn out please. I'd try making them if they taste nice

I have just made and tasted the sour cream and chive crackers. They turned out well but were still pale after 60 minutes cooking, they were crunchy though. I may cook them on a higher temp next time. The taste was good but I don't like strong tastes so may be a bit bland for some people. I didn't put the chives in and that would add taste. They were good to have with cheese and a good cracker. I will make them again.

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
I Just love my cheese on its own. But i also found that a stick of celery stuffed with room temperature blue costello is a true gourmet delight.

It shouldn't take much to get use to eating cheese without crackers or bread.

Also, for breakfast, if you can get your head around the idea of cooking it, it becomes very easy. I have something different every day. what i do may not work for people who have to rush off to work but if you have time, breakfast is great. I get up and have coffee first and don't usually feel hungry for ages. But then when i feel its time to eat something, i will start with one ingredient from the fridge and keep on adding stuff. And i tend to like to have a big meal for breakfast, and lunch and a lighter meal at dinner. This way i don't get hungry. Before all this, i used to have just cereal or toast like anyone else .

I love cooked tomato, mushrooms, (I like to cook vegies or have salad at every meal), maybe cook some halloumi cheese, or eggs scrambled with some fresh green herbs, sometimes i will steam some kale/spinach/silverbeet and add some butter or cream to it. If you want to check out my food diary for ideas, (because i love my low carb food) my name on my fitness pal is patttience. It may not always be obvious what meal i'm concocting out of the ingredients and sometimes there's a meal which you'd need to read the ingredients list to know what goes in it.

Anyway you will get better as you go along and its quite easy to enjoy it all if you are willing to cook - most meals do not take long at all though.