Newly diagnosed Type 2 a week ago

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Gaz
I did the VLCD /Newcastle diet 3 years ago. Blood glucose returned to normal almost immediately, and has remained so despite having regained some of the weight.
I suggest you take time to read info on here, and ask questions before rushing into any particular diet. Everyone needs to find a way that works best for them.

Thanks Pipp

I have an appointment with my gp on August 4th to discuss the diet. One question, as a diabetic did you get the optifast on prescription? I think I want to defo try the VLCD and feel I would be denying myself a chance of remission if I did not do it

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp

I have an appointment with my gp on August 4th to discuss the diet. One question, as a diabetic did you get the optifast on prescription? I think I want to defo try the VLCD and feel I would be denying myself a chance of remission if I did not do it
Hi @gaz tred
I took some time to persuade my GP that this was the solution for me. I took in printed information from the Newcastle diet literature. Optifast was not available to me, so I used Lipotrim. This is only available from pharmacies, and is a total food replacement diet. I think it cost around £36 a week, but I thought that was a bargain as I would spend that on food, coffees, lunches out and such. The pharmacy monitored progress, as well as the Gp. I found this suited me, as no food was allowed, just the Lipotrim products. It doesn't have to be done this way, as Prof Taylor and the Newcastle diet team recommend meal replacement products and additional vegetable servings.

I felt really well on the diet, exercised in the swimming pool, and lost weight quickly. It was a relief to get the blood glucose levels sorted too. As I have said, we each need to find our own way, and many people on here prefer Low Carb High Fat diet. If you want a more thorough explanation of VLCD have a look at Andrew Colvin's posts.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please guys

Any help, advise is greatly appreciated from my side. I am open to all suggestion that are going to help me battle this

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Apologies if I have offended you @gaz tred .
I understand how desperate a T2 diagnosis can make you feel.
There is lots of good advice on this forum and people here are generally very supportive.
I would suggest taking your time, read, ask questions then work out what is best for you. Keep reading keep posting, as others will learn from your experience too.

Regards
Pipp

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Don't think you need to repeat the same post in two threads Gaz.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to make sure I got optimum replys as both threads sort of lead on to each other. Lesson learnt, I will post appropriately

Reactions: 5 people

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, 6.15pm pre dinner reading but I won't be eating until 9 pm as have to play football. 4.6mmol/l

Will do another one when I get in from football then try to stay awake to done one 2 hours post eating. Obviously the times of eating might throw out my morning fasting one??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good reading again. Your game of football may well not do your levels any good, but you do need to test it. If you are struggling to get the 2 hour reading in, try a 1 hour. It is equally relevant. Then if you still awake, do the 2 hour as well.