Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have well and truly lost the plot now!

I no longer have a clue what this is all about.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been suckered into a gooseberry thread and been made fun of and to feel a fool enough is enough. I hope the laugh was worth it, thanks guys for nothing.
To the really nice crowd I've met here thanks for your support and help you do a terrific job.

Did I miss something? (I was distracted last night wrestling with a tailor's dummy. No, no. Don't ask........... :confused:)

On a more general note, it looks like this thread may have run its course. If that's not the case, it might make sense to try to keep it on-topic. If it has run its course, then, yet again, I thank everyone for their contributions to a thread, 260 posts long which has managed to stay pretty much on course, with some humour, and lots of goodwill and good will.

Thanks to the Mods and Admin for the commitments made. Would it make sense to ask for an update in a week or so when you guys might have had the opportunity to pick up/discuss/explore some of the ideas spawned here?

I know we members sometimes need to temper our expectations and enthusiasm. Not all change will ever be possible where so many parameters are at play, but hopefully some good will come from the time and effort we have all invested in this thread and the wider forum in general.

Thanks again everyone.

Mods: @@Osidge, @@Robinredbreast, @@anna29, @@daisy1, @@IanD, @@janewatt, @Giverny , @Administrator

Reactions: 2 people

Sara J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure about this replying thingy, wether it's too you all. Or the last person that commented. ( and it's stupid o'clock!!)

Thanks for my welcome

And I seem too have ' gegged ' in on a veggie chicken plot. !!!!
Soz about that !!
In all honesty. While looking round the site, I pressed something????
Scrolled down a few titles & saw ' losing the plot' !!!
I thought it had something to do with losing your sanity ( or keeping hold of it ) didn't see anything about veg.
Or chickens !!
Hahaha ...... Maybe I'll fit right in

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure about this replying thingy, wether it's too you all. Or the last person that commented. ( and it's stupid o'clock!!)

Thanks for my welcome

Soz about that !!
I thought it had something to do with losing your sanity ( or keeping hold of it ) didn't see anything about veg.
Or chickens !!
yeh I think you will! Looking forward to seeing you around later, maybe you could start your own thread if you have any questions for us:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for my welcome

Soz about that !!
Or chickens !!

I'm sure you will Sara.

This thread was started to encourage we users to reflect on some of the "stuff" that may or may not have been occurring on the site in recent times. There's been some great input, but like many long threads, over time, it can deflect off-track - such as you noticed with the humour you encountered.

If you want to introduce yourself to the wider forum membership, if you click on Forum in the red band at the top of the page, then Greetings and Introductions, then you will notice a green tile "Post New Thread", which would allow you to start a thread to introduce yourself. By doing that far more people will welcome you, and from there you can move on.

This is a great place to be, so join in and whilst having fun, hopefully you might learn some "stuff", we all certainly have learned a lot from being here.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
On a more general note, it looks like this thread may have run its course. If that's not the case, it might make sense to try to keep it on-topic. If it has run its course, then, yet again, I thank everyone for their contributions to a thread, 260 posts long which has managed to stay pretty much on course, with some humour, and lots of goodwill and good will.

Thanks to the Mods and Admin for the commitments made. Would it make sense to ask for an update in a week or so when you guys might have had the opportunity to pick up/discuss/explore some of the ideas spawned here?

I know we members sometimes need to temper our expectations and enthusiasm. Not all change will ever be possible where so many parameters are at play, but hopefully some good will come from the time and effort we have all invested in this thread and the wider forum in general.

That's probably a good idea AndBreathe, and thanks for introducing the thread. There seems to be a general desire for the forum to run as smoothly as possible for the benefit of all - why would that not be the case - and there has been a lot of constructive input with encouraging signs of feedback from the moderators. (As for last night's 'diversion', well it had gone quiet a bit and Sara J came along ...! :)). And we can't be earnest all the time, it's not human nature.

To summarise the issues from my point of view:

Blog section - I think this is a great idea, not that I'm a fan of blogs myself. Some threads are effectively 'blogs' but it doesn't really work in this format.

Reporting - feedback to the reporter would be helpful unless it's just in respect of an admin issue such as duplicate threads/posts or spammer.

Locking of threads - a simple open explanation by the mods when this is done would be helpful.

Suspension and banning - this happens occasionally on any forum, but it seems that clear and consistent explanations are not always provided despite repeated requests from those concerned. Again, a simple protocol could be looked into and published in the admin section in here, maybe with a refresh of house rules and guidelines.

Multiple accounts - there seemed to be surprise that this was allowed and consequent objection to it. Personally I think it's unhealthy for simultaneous multiple accounts to be running for a single member, there's no good reason for it and the potential for abuse is obvious.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's probably a good idea AndBreathe, and thanks for introducing the thread. There seems to be a general desire for the forum to run as smoothly as possible for the benefit of all - why would that not be the case - and there has been a lot of constructive input with encouraging signs of feedback from the moderators. (As for last night's 'diversion', well it had gone quiet a bit and Sara J came along ...! :)). And we can't be earnest all the time, it's not human nature.

To summarise the issues from my point of view:

Blog section - I think this is a great idea, not that I'm a fan of blogs myself. Some threads are effectively 'blogs' but it doesn't really work in this format.

Reporting - feedback to the reporter would be helpful unless it's just in respect of an admin issue such as duplicate threads/posts or spammer.

Locking of threads - a simple open explanation by the mods when this is done would be helpful.

Suspension and banning - this happens occasionally on any forum, but it seems that clear and consistent explanations are not always provided despite repeated requests from those concerned. Again, a simple protocol could be looked into and published in the admin section in here, maybe with a refresh of house rules and guidelines.

Multiple accounts - there seemed to be surprise that this was allowed and consequent objection to it. Personally I think it's unhealthy for simultaneous multiple accounts to be running for a single member, there's no good reason for it and the potential for abuse is obvious.

@sanguine, there was no virtual slapping of wrists going on from this end. To be honest I am completely astonished how well the thread kept it's course, and that probably shows those participating felt it sufficiently important to stick with it., and why I felt it important to repeatedly thank everyone for their participation.

From my own perspective, in addition to the points you summarised above, I would add:

- Sensible feedback from the use of the Report button
- Request for a Reactive Hypoglycaemia section on the forum - although this now has a thread of its own.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Did I miss something? (I was distracted last night wrestling with a tailor's dummy. No, no. Don't ask........... :confused:)

Thanks again everyone.

Mods: @@Osidge, @@Robinredbreast, @@anna29, @@daisy1, @@IanD, @@janewatt, @Giverny , @Administrator
Thank you too for starting this thread. Feedback is really important to me as the forum manager, and I really do appreciate everything that's been said in this thread.

Hopefully I can get the ball rolling in the right direction in the coming weeks. As I've said, I'm already working on a few things and they unfortunately take a while to both program and test correctly. There's also a plethora of new features already in place for the next big forum update too :)

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
From my own perspective, in addition to the points you summarised above, I would add:

- Sensible feedback from the use of the Report button

Yes I added that in as an edit probably while you were writing that!

Again, a simple protocol could be looked into and published in the admin section in here, maybe with a refresh of house rules and guidelines.

Just checked and we don't have an 'admin' section, but that would be useful as a repository for things like this and for admin to communicate with the members on other general matters (and maybe where the 'suggestion box' could go?).

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks for my welcome

Soz about that !!
Or chickens !!
Hi @Sara J

Sorry if we have confused you. I have been here a while and I am confused.

When I first posted on forum, I joined a conversation in a thread. It took some time before I realised it would be good to start my own thread in the introductions section. That way I would have had the newbie greeting and welcome, with info from moderator, daisy, which would have helped me find my way. Still, forum is for all members, no matter how we arrive, so welcome from me, and I am sure you will fit in nicely here.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@AndBreathe

I apologise , my grump last night wasn't about this thread, I just needed to get it off my chest and I realise now I should have maybe been a bit more forthcoming with my explanation or posted somewhere else, or just kept quiet.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe

I apologise , my grump last night wasn't about this thread, I just needed to get it off my chest and I realise now I should have maybe been a bit more forthcoming with my explanation or posted somewhere else, or just kept quiet.
Well I'm glad you're back. I have a grump occasionally too.:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe

No problem. You just had me wondering if I was personally losing the plot.

Of course, that's probably up for debate anyway. ;)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to say in my opinion this thread has been amazing. A sensible discussion which stayed on track, then as it was dying down, a bit of fun, then an introduction by a newbie. Doesn't that lot just sum up what we're here for? :) Perfect. Thanks @AndBreathe :)

alliebee

That's the post to finish it and summarise in the nicest way positive upbeat and generous. Wonderful contributions and a sense of continuity.. I agree a really amazing open and frank discussion with smiles and a newbie. What could be better :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
How would you all feel about a BANTER BOX ?
A place to have a bit of fun and banter .
Obviously if was used with offence or drunkenness then
posts would get moderated .

Then threads can be left to evolve as a discussion and more derail free .
Any members who feel another member has entered to a discussion and
is acting too jovial or daft .
They can be encouraged to the BANTER BOX for this .

Supporting members is the mainstay here and what the forum is
so fantastic with doing .
Sometimes when there is a blend and mix of members coming into
a thread for a bit of fun it can spoil the flow of fantastic support .

With a view towards the newbies joining here .
Some members are very familiar with each other .
The newbies naturally can be more nervous or cautious
amongst friendships already well established here .

The BANTER BOX will allow members who are familiar
with each other and their style of expressions and speech
to have their jovial banter and fun .
Newbies can then enter a discussion not feeling side lined
to coin a phrase !
Its can be hard being a new person arriving on the scene .
Hence the points I have raised here .

Status
Not open for further replies.