Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't get mine lower than 8.8 I am on Metformin 3 times a day was diagnosed 22/9/14 when my reading was 14.9 is this normal.

Hello and welcome. Something has worked to bring you down from 14.9 to 8.8, but perhaps you need a bit of help with diet? What are your other readings during the day like?

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only check in the morning,I have already changed my diet,I have cut out chocolate,fizzy water,halved my intake of bread that I love changed to wholemeal and am eating more fruit and veg.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only check in the morning,I have already changed my diet,I have cut out chocolate,fizzy water,halved my intake of bread that I love changed to wholemeal and am eating more fruit and veg.

It would be a really good idea for you to test out some meals. Test immediately before you eat, then again 2 hours after your first bite. Have a look at the difference. Ideally it should be under 2 mmol/l. If it is higher, there is something in that meal that needs attention. If you need help or advice with this, just post your readings and the food you ate and someone will help you.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Welcome.

The bread, wholemeal or not, could be a major factor, also the fruit. Apart from berries in moderation, most fruit (especially tropical) contains too much sugar.

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:mad:
4.8 this morning - off to work I go soon, have decided (thanks ROD!) I shall be ringing for my hbA1c results after midday today instead of waiting for Monday's appointment!! I shall still go for the review of course but realised I NEED to know before !!
Well......I rang, my results??? They are there but weren't ready to release as not seen by a doctor! The receptionist said " I see you have an appointment on Monday? They will be available then?" I calmly said as I am enthusiastic I would i would like them before then, so, now to ring again in the morning! I'm not normally impatient......but....:arghh:

Reactions: 8 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Not heard that before Kim, mine will say irrespective of whether a doctor sees them. It's only data after all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not heard that before Kim, mine will say irrespective of whether a doctor sees them. It's only data after all.

I've been told that the doc must see the results first, before they can be given out.

But I've no idea if that is standard practice...

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our surgery only let you have them over phone if they've been authorised by GP - used to be the receptionist could tell you now the GP phones you with them as part of your review by phone. They don't want you to go to surgery if they can possibly cut you off at the pass these days at my surgery.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our doctors look at the results and pass comment on the computer. Could just be "seen and no comments" or similar. Only when there is a GP comment can our receptionists tell us the results. However, they will put me through to a nurse (if I ask) who will then tell me.

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.4 this morning i slept through the alarm last night so was not able to check before going to bed....... When the body is tired the body is tired

My arm is extremely tender from the flu jab is this normal?

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5,9 this morning.

Forced myself to go on my usual morning 5km walk despite feeling a bit under the weather.

For a couple of days now my counts, although by no means high, have been somewhat elevated: sixes where I would normally expect to see fours and fives. Today, I am finally showing symptoms of the cold these counts have been indicating.

So rather than the usual source of pleasure, today's walk was all about getting myself from A to B and back again, putting five more kilometers and about 7000 more steps on the clock.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a false hyper?

We probably all know what a false hypo is, how our mind/body may be fooled into experiencing symptoms of having low glucose levels even when these are actually normal, when used to running at higher than normal levels.

Does the opposite hold true?

Can our body act as if we are on high glucose levels when these are elevated but still normal?

Because this is exactly what I have experienced in the last two days. I have been snappy and short tempered and struggling through the day in what I can best describe as "swimming against the tide" mode. Everything a struggle, including being able to concentrate for any period of time. All symptoms I associate with running high sugars.

Yet my counts were normal, no count, either pre or post prandial, was over 6,7 mmol. Just elevated compared with what I was returning on the previous two weeks or so.

Maybe it was the cold, or I am just a grumpy old so and so.

Pavlos

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Put your feet up this weekend and relax. You have done so well getting back on track a couple of days of rest should help . Sounds like you are coming down with something Hope you feel better soon x

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome.

The bread, wholemeal or not, could be a major factor, also the fruit. Apart from berries in moderation, most fruit (especially tropical) contains too much sugar.
I did my levels last night 2 hours after eating and it was 9.9 this morning it was 9.1 surely it should of dropped more than that after not eating for 10 hours?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:mad:
Well......I rang, my results??? They are there but weren't ready to release as not seen by a doctor! The receptionist said " I see you have an appointment on Monday? They will be available then?" I calmly said as I am enthusiastic I would i would like them before then, so, now to ring again in the morning! I'm not normally impatient......but....:arghh:

They probably can't believe them, @kimbo1962 ! I imagine a lot of head-scratching going on and comparisons with your previous results, wondering what's going on!!

Good luck with the call and do report back :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I did my levels last night 2 hours after eating and it was 9.9 this morning it was 9.1 surely it should of dropped more than that after not eating for 10 hours?

You could be getting a liver dump (of glucose) around dawn which annoyingly is a common phenomenon for T2s, or rather the response is. It's quite natural, and is supposed to set you up for the rigours of the day, and for non-diabetics has no adverse effect, but for us it can raise BG levels significantly. Chances are your levels did drop more during the night but then rebounded because of the liver dump. Search on here for Dawn Phenomenon.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 for me which I'm happier with. Still feel of the verge of something cold like.

Status
Not open for further replies.