A little of what you fancy

A

AnnieC

Do you ever let yourself indulge in something you really enjoyed before diabetes but have now given up. I do sometimes give myself a naughty treat but it is not very often anything sweet.... never did have much of a sweet tooth. Last week though it was something sweet in the form of caramel and sesame seed coated peanuts they were so yummy and I did have to be very firm with myself and not eat the whole bag I don't find eating something like that makes me want more though.
Some people say they crave starchy carbs but I did not eat very much of those anyway well not bread pasta or rice but I do miss a jacket potato as I did eat a lot of those so I will have one of those occasionally

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't particularly miss sweet stuff but I'm partial to a savory snack from time to time, XL Cheese Crisps are my favourite followed by a nice meat pie, preferably a Scotch pie :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't particularly miss sweet stuff but I'm partial to a savory snack from time to time, XL Cheese Crisps are my favourite followed by a nice meat pie, preferably a Scotch pie :)

As a type 1 though you are in the position where you can have extra insulin to offset the extra carbs if you want to. Annie is hopefully still pre-diabetic and I'm type 2, so if Annie and I want to stay off insulin as long as possible we need to resist treats whenever we are able. .

Reactions: 9 people
D

Deleted member 83869

As a type 1 though you are in the position where you can have extra insulin to offset the extra carbs if you want to. Annie is hopefully still pre-diabetic and I'm type 2, so if Annie and I want to stay off insulin as long as possible we need to resist treats whenever we are able. .
Exactly that! Hence DAFNE Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating! :) x

Reactions: 6 people

alaska

I'll occasionally have something sweeter (milk chocolate or a dessert) than normal. The challenge is then to ensure it stays a treat and doesn't slip into being a habit. I used to love desserts but now they're now only an occasional (once a month) occurrence.

I have chocolate every day, but because it's 85% dark chocolate (and I don't crazy with it) it's no trouble for my sugar levels.

A

AnnieC

I'll occasionally have something sweeter (milk chocolate or a dessert) than normal. The challenge is then to ensure it stays a treat and doesn't slip into being a habit. I used to love desserts but now they're now only an occasional (once a month) occurrence.

I have chocolate every day, but because it's 85% dark chocolate (and I don't crazy with it) it's no trouble for my sugar levels.
Yes that is the only chocolate I have not every day though just when I think of it. I always did prefer dark chocolate if I had any at all

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great memory I have with the best Scotch Pies.
My first job as a apprentice mechanic was also the petrol pump attendant, every Tuesday the pie van would drop in to get fuel on its trip to the bakery shop.The driver would always give me a hot freshly baked Scotch Pie from the back of the van. I will never forget those pies.
Those days 4 gallons of petrol was 18s/7d ( about £1 for 20 litres petrol ) I think.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I remember scotch pies, my relatives used to bring some down from Scotland years ago when they visited us, they were the proper Scotch pies, happy memories :hungry: :D from years back.

RRB

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At my son's wedding reception two years ago I had BOTH puddings (Eton Mess & chocolate brownies). Apart from that, in 18 months I've had three ice-creams, sundry pieces of chocolate, half a dozen pieces of coffee & walnut cake and two large coffees with hazelnut syrup. Since starting a low-carb diet I also miss a nice jacket spud from the oven.
Ironically I now know I would have been fine with the Eton Mess if I'd left the meringue and scoffed the strawberries and cream!

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
only been diagnosed 3 and a half months ago, never had a sweet tooth so dont miss anything but I occasionally have rice and since its basmati my BG behaves well

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yep, your right I'm a type 1 and bolus for food :)

It may have escaped your attention Zand but Annie has posted A little of what you fancy in the Ask a Question section of the forum, I'm sure if she only wanted replies from type 2's she would have said, Annie asked in the opening sentence: ''Do you ever let yourself indulge in something you really enjoyed before diabetes but have now given up'' to which I replied, so if you have nothing to add to the thread better to stay out of it then quote other members posts.

Regards

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It may have escaped your attention Zand but Annie has posted A little of what you fancy in the Ask a Question section of the forum, I'm sure if she only wanted replies from type 2's she would have said, Annie asked in the opening sentence: ''Do you ever let yourself indulge in something you really enjoyed before diabetes but have now given up'' to which I replied, so if you have nothing to add to the thread better to stay out of it then quote other members posts.

Regards
OK will do in future. Thanks for the friendly advice :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What a great memory I have with the best Scotch Pies.
My first job as a apprentice mechanic was also the petrol pump attendant, every Tuesday the pie van would drop in to get fuel on its trip to the bakery shop.The driver would always give me a hot freshly baked Scotch Pie from the back of the van. I will never forget those pies.
Those days 4 gallons of petrol was 18s/7d ( about £1 for 20 litres petrol ) I think.

You can't beat a proper butchers shop Scotch Pie izzi, our local butcher makes all his own pies and they are extremely good.

I don't remember petrol being that cheap, you must be considerably older than me ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You can't beat a proper butchers shop Scotch Pie izzi, our local butcher makes all his own pies and they are extremely good.

I don't remember petrol being that cheap, you must be considerably older than me ;)

Uh oh.................. there maybe trouble ahead.......:singing: lol ;)

RRB :D

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never had a sweet tooth and chocolate never enters my head. I do miss a massive chip buttie dripping in vinegar and butter though. I can eat a handful of chips without raising my levels at all.. I can also eat one slice of bread. However, spuds and bread together is a no-no. Yesterday I had eggs and chips with a slice of toast and paid for it by going up to double figures, so that is off the menu for now. Back down to 4.7 before next meal so I wasn't too distraut. I do agree though that we can be too hard o ourselves sometimes and that isn't always a good thing.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

I think abstinence is the best policy though; even when giving extra insulin to cover treats it is fiendishly difficult to get it right. I can't believe I'm actually supporting abstinence but there we are...

This reminds me of Keith Richards who when asked how he explained the fact that he's still alive just said "prayer and abstinence, man."

Best

Dillinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Regards
To be fair, there is nothing in your signature or restricted profile to suggest that you are type 1. My concern would be that a newly diagnosed type 2 might read your post and think that crisps and pastry pies are a good idea for a treat :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
To be fair, there is nothing in your signature or restricted profile to suggest that you are type 1. My concern would be that a newly diagnosed type 2 might read your post and think that crisps and pastry pies are a good idea for a treat :)

And you don't have type 2 in your signature :D As far as I'm aware, it's not a pre-requisite to have what type of diabetes you have in your signature, unless the forum rules have changed of course.

As for your point about a newly diagnosed type 2, so far four type 2's have responded to Annie's thread who say they like to indulge occasionally, two have said they like a sweet treat and two have said they like a savory treat.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apparently this is going to be used to nit pick at type 1 diabetics? This thread is to say what people enjoy, not advertising to people what they can and can't eat :-S

Reactions: 9 people