Type 2s - what do you think caused your diabetes?

C

catherinecherub

Three traumatic events in quick succession followed by a heart attack and then diagnosed Type 2. Cardiologist maintained that the heightened stress involved played a major part.
Was always skinny but found difficulty in coping with life and resorted to comfort eating for a few months. Result, heart attack, Type 2. When I read that people are saying that they ate badly for a long length of time, I think if I had done this then my diagnosis would have been much earlier or would it if I hadn't had the stress?
This does not mean that anyone faced with major stress will get diagnosed with Type 2 and there is a family history for me.
It's all very complicated and dwelling on it does me no favours as I cannot change what has happened.
Save the worry for things you can change and not the things that you can't.

Reactions: 8 people

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
My ancestors - inherited paternal and maternal - not weight or poor diet - just plain old inherited.

Reactions: 2 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm. Pre-menopause hormone and fibroid problems may have started to tip me over, but I have been overweight for a lot of the past 20+ years. My diet wasn't particularly carb heavy, with no processed food at all and plenty of vegetables, although I admit I love a bit of chocolate and have always been unsporty. I am often anxious, but sleep well generally. No family history of diabetes either side and I had none of the usual symptoms, so I think I was quite lucky to be diagnosed accidentally and early.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stress was a major factor for me causing comfort eating. Overweight so doctor suggested a low fat diet and taking Orlistat which causes a nasty reaction when you eat fat. As a result I ate more and more carbs to fill up!, resulting in diagnosis of type 2. mum had type 2.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Battled pneumonia and septis off .
Lost 2 stones in weight also .
Up in nights drinking water/fluids .
Tired and weary with itchy skin all the time .
Was getting no better at all - tested for diabetes
BINGO !!

Illness was my trigger to it :mad:

Reactions: 4 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Sorry to bring this one up again, but having tormented myself for a while thinking that stress caused my diabetes, I blamed myself for the events that happened that year. Should i have left my job, stood up to people better, dealt with my partner's emotional baggage better, dealt with my own better, made different decisions? However, I try to convince myself every day that the stress just highlighted it (having read this somewhere on the internet - so it must be true lol!). So, I could already have been diabetic and the stress raised my blood sugar even more, to the point of making it diagnosable. Bearing in mind that type 2 doesn't just happen overnight and one can have it for many years before it becomes a problem, i believe this to b true. At least i hope it is anyway. Because blaming the stress actually led me to have a nervous breakdown which I nearly didn't overcome. Now I tell myself, it's not what you did yesterday, last year or last month, it's what you do today, tomorrow and the future in front of you that matters.

Reactions: 14 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father was recently diagnosed T2 and my mother was T2 for about 10 years before she passed away from pancreatic cancer so I'm guessing my genes had a pretty big part to play in my becoming diabetic

Reactions: 3 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Medications, mainly corticosteroids and others following surgery. Not on them now and a BMI of 27 doesn't enlighten me. Sometimes I think the episodes of sepsis I had and physiological stress contributed too. I've never had a definitive answer but I'm sure the severe infections affected my pancreas.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive no history of it in my family, I was a stone or two overweight before I started dieting/exercising to shift it but wasnt fat as such - although that may have been a factor, I cant think what else could have caused it.

People have mentioned stress being a factor, is that possible? I could tie into that perhaps. Aside of that Im stumped.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Ive no history of it in my family, I was a stone or two overweight before I started dieting/exercising to shift it but wasnt fat as such - although that may have been a factor, I cant think what else could have caused it.

People have mentioned stress being a factor, is that possible? I could tie into that perhaps. Aside of that Im stumped.

I believe it is but annoyingly for me, my stress increased as a result of T2. Now I know my BS are under good control, perhaps it'll settle down.

I try to steer clear of the negatives of this condition as that only increases the worries. I certainly wasn't over the top insofar as weight was concerned.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats frustrating mate, I hadnt even considered stress until now, so many factors in life can affect it.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thats frustrating mate, I hadnt even considered stress until now, so many factors in life can affect it.

That it is .... but the alternative is worse ......

Breathe, live and take in the moments :)

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Mike, you're right :) - so much else to be thankful for.

Happy xmas, have a fab day mate

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you ... day's about over here :) Thoroughly lazy :)

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah yes, I hadnt seen where you were from :) - hope you've had fun. Fair play, if you cant enjoy & unwind on a day like today when can you :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
My day off ..... from exercise, from T2 and a sweet sweet day :)

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cause was undoubtedly being a greedy carb-scoffing pig. Chocolate for breakfast, cakes, plural, for elevenses, chip butties for lunch, chocolate for tea, chips and pastry for dinner, chocolate and cake and biscuits for supper. I come over faint now just thinking what it was doing to my body.

I know not everyone who develops Type 2 is overweight. However, all my brothers are older than me and they're all slim. None of them have diabetes,

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Overweight, diet, stress then cancer and chemotherapy. As the doctor in hospital said." I'm not surprised. We had to give you insane amounts of steroids from when you were admitted (rushed to a&e) to keep you alive". Plus most of the other goodies in the pharmacy.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My cause was undoubtedly being a greedy carb-scoffing pig. Chocolate for breakfast, cakes, plural, for elevenses, chip butties for lunch, chocolate for tea, chips and pastry for dinner, chocolate and cake and biscuits for supper. I come over faint now just thinking what it was doing to my body.

I know not everyone who develops Type 2 is overweight. However, all my brothers are older than me and they're all slim. None of them have diabetes,

Hi @KittyKatty I am overweight but haven't always been and was always very active; I am the only one in my family who has developed T2. My eldest sister's weight has always been up and down, both my parents are overweight, and my middle sister has always been overweight not to mention drinking as much as she likes and smoking! Whilst I agree that weight can be a factor, it is not the only one and there are undoubtedly a number of other causes

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @KittyKatty I am overweight but haven't always been and was always very active; I am the only one in my family who has developed T2. My eldest sister's weight has always been up and down, both my parents are overweight, and my middle sister has always been overweight not to mention drinking as much as she likes and smoking! Whilst I agree that weight can be a factor, it is not the only one and there are undoubtedly a number of other causes

Absolutely. My maternal grandmother developed it in her early 40's and apparently she was slightly curvy but certainly not overweight. But I can only surmise that the huge amount of rubbish I was eating was my cause.