glucose meters

joey62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
swearing.smoking.
Do you have to purchase your own meter /strips/lancets or any other things that you may need to manage blood sugar/glucose levels

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As your registered as a Type 1 diabetic, you should be entitled to not just the free glucose test meter, but also to free lancets and test strips as well, as all your syringes, needles and insulin's. Your Dr/DN or healthcare people should have set this up for you and advised on how to use the B/G mete effectively together with the insulin that you will need to inject.
I would suggest that you contact your healthcare team asap and get things under way.
Also if you are a driver you will need to inform both your insurance company as well as the DVLA of your Type 1 diabetes, as failing to let them know can invalidate your car vehicle insurance. You may be required to also temporarily give up driving until such time as your medical advisors are prepared to state that it's safe for you to continue driving.
Also it would be advisable to let your employer, work colleagues and friends also know that you have diabetes, so that should it be necessary they will know what to do should an unforeseen emergency arise.
This Diabetic site contains a wealth of dietry advise that is suited to all diabetic types of whatever shade and is well worth reading.

Best wishes for the future - Lazybones

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

joey62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
swearing.smoking.
thank you lazybones for your prompt reply i didnt mention im due to see my DN on Monday coming.I had the blood test that can tell you glucose levels are higher than they should be ,the nurse who gave me the results also gave me a prescription for Metformin,My god this makes me feel terrible,this was because she tested my blood sugar and baring in mind i had had my breakfast the level was 15,she told me to take the pills and dont eat to much sweet stuff lol,so i think it maybe type 2.i maybe wrong,would i need all this equiptment for type 2 also.thanks

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Most will not help you with the Equipment for a type 2,
i suggest buying them yourself as without knowing your numbers and testing you wont know what u can and cant eat

joey62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
swearing.smoking.
would you be able to suggest the best place to get the item i need and everything goes with it please .

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Most chemists sell them, some sell cheap on eBay that are brand new too ,you will get a few strips with your monitor but will then need to buy more

C

catherinecherub

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Many of us on here use the Codefree as mentioned by @catherinecherub above because the strips are the cheapest on the market, and because it is a good company to deal with. Like any meter, it will throw out a few rogue readings, but generally speaking we are all happy with it.

If you want to order 5 boxes (250 strips) use the promo code 64086 and for 10 boxes (500 strips) use 975833. These will give you a hefty discount.

joey62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
swearing.smoking.
Thank you all i will follow that lead ,much appreciated as having diabetes diagnosed is another sword in my side along with everything else i am dealing with .thanks again jo