Low carb meal ideas

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm sorry to sound silly, but my 3yr old has just been diagnosed dt1. If we give insulin for the amount of carbs being eaten, then why do a lot of people try and dramatically lower there carbs?
I'm t2 but from my understanding less carbs less insulin needed.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but think that's how it works.

Vixy tic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd call your current diet moderate carb rather than low carb. You won't be in ketosis with what you're eating - and while you don't need to be, ketosis is the fastest way to lose weight (if you're not trying to lose you can go a bit higher and still stabilize bs).

I'd recommend trying myfitnesspal website or app - you can enter everything you eat and it will calculate the carbs etc for you.

I have hypos all the time eating a normal diet and absolutely zero eating under 30g carbs spread out through the day.

I'd ditch the bread, make a super low carb soup, switch the apples for berries and throw out the low fat yogurt as low fat tends to = full of sugar.
Hi, I am new to this with my 3yr old t1 two weeks ago. I am understanding most of the things to do with looking after my son, but I don't know why people reduce there carbs? Is it just for adult weight loss? I hope you don't mind me asking.

Reactions: 2 people

greendress

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I really don't know enough about type 1 to help with this, I'm not on insulin so I control my blood sugar though diet.

I don't think you'd want to put your three year old on low carb but you might not want him to have a super carb heavy diet either, hopefully a t1 will be along to help.

Vixy tic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid I really don't know enough about type 1 to help with this, I'm not on insulin so I control my blood sugar though diet.

I don't think you'd want to put your three year old on low carb but you might not want him to have a super carb heavy diet either, hopefully a t1 will be along to help.
Aw thank you for your reply. I try to give him a good balanced diet. My dad controls his t2 with diet too, it's not easy. Thanks

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm sorry to sound silly, but my 3yr old has just been diagnosed dt1. If we give insulin for the amount of carbs being eaten, then why do a lot of people try and dramatically lower there carbs?
Hi Vicky

Although we give insulin to cover the carbs we eat it doesn't always work out the way we expect.
For example last week I was having a slice of wholemeal bread for breakfast. I read the amount if carbs were 18. So I put 18 grams into my pump. 2 hrs later my blood was 7.0. This week same thing for breakfast but 2 hours later it's going as high as 13! So sometimes reducing the carb intake makes it easier to have control and predict the pattern. But I think with a 3 year having low carbs may not be the best idea as they are still developing.

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
Vixy tic, my daughter is 6 and we have been following Dr Bernsteins diet for 8 months, diagnosed last January. Going low carb means less fluctuations of blood glucose levels, only the need for small amounts of insulin (smaller margin or error!) and more stable levels.
What it doesnt mean is less choice, you just have to be more creative.
Dont worry about low carb not being good for children, stable blood glucose is much better for children - contrary to popular belief, kids dont need carbs to grow :)

Reactions: 12 people

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
RPa, we follow Dr Bernstein, he recommends eating 30g carbs a day 6 breakfast, 12 lunch & 12 dinner.

Fruit wont be not helping, stick to berries. Try ditching the bread and check whats in your soup. Rule of thumb is avoid all veg grown under ground and fat is your friend! Eat some full fat greek yoghurt :) low carb & low fat is not good!

Hi.

I've started a low carb diet about a month ago. I've Still got fluctuations with my blood levels.
Can someone please share the sorts of things they eat especially if they have found it's working
My typical day is

Breakfast: one slice of wholemeal bread and a boiled egg

Snack: apple

Lunch: 300g of soup (half a carton) and a tangerine

Snack: 70g of almonds and cranberries or a low fat yoghurt

Dinner: meat and veg or salad

Maybe I'm still eating too many carbs???

Thanks

Vixy tic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all so much, teeny 75 that makes sense! The fluctuations would be smaller. Thank you. I think we are going through the honeymoon phase at the moment, but all this information is great, I just want to do the best I can for my boy. Thanks to all again. X

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Before insulin was invented, the only way to control D1 was to low carb.

Vixy tic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before insulin was invented, the only way to control D1 was to low carb.
Oh really, I guess that's all they could do! Must of been really tough and life expectancies short back then. :( so glad it's come along way since :)

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi I am really sorry about your child, in answer to your question and not silly at all. The more insulin you have the more weight I have gained I feel sluggish not much energy. Since stopping carbs my bolus insulin has decreased dramatically and the weight is coming off. I feel so much more energetic and have life about me now.

Oh and amazing blood sugar levels

Reactions: 4 people

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
RPa, we follow Dr Bernstein, he recommends eating 30g carbs a day 6 breakfast, 12 lunch & 12 dinner.

Fruit wont be not helping, stick to berries. Try ditching the bread and check whats in your soup. Rule of thumb is avoid all veg grown under ground and fat is your friend! Eat some full fat greek yoghurt :) low carb & low fat is not good!
Hi Teeny75

That's sounds good. I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you join Pinterest and the search for typeonegrit you will find recipes grouped into meals so breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are really good. For anybody following Bernsteins or similar, they have a FB group with the same name but you have to be vetted before being allowed entry! It is a great resource but you need to be committed to following very low carb.

As has been said above, the whole point of low carbing is the rule of small numbers, small amounts of carbs, small amounts of insulin, less room for error and tighter control. My readings are a whole lot better but still not an ounce of weight loss, harrumph!

Ali

Reactions: 5 people

Vixy tic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again to you all. I love hearing others stories and ways of obtaining our blood sugar goals. The bernsteins diet sounds a definite to look up. IV got the Pinterest app so I shall have a peek. Thank you :)

G

gemma6549

Hi Vixy, alot of diabetics tend to stick to a low carb diet because the more carbs you eat the more insulin you need which ultimately leads to weight gain (the same as it would in a non diabetic) Also because carbs are released at different rates it can make getting good control more difficult.

I find if i eat carbs my sugars are all over the place, ive been a type 1 for 14 years and low carb definitely works best for me. Obviously a child will need carbs as they are growing and developing but try and get some advice on the "good carbs" and what will be easiest to control and calculate for.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
You can purchase Dr Bernstein's diabeetes solution on kindle and iBooks for around £5.00.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep I am wading through it on the Kindle right now. The group I mentioned earlier are predominantly T1 children and they have had great success getting normal A1Cs of a non diabetic in their children. I am told but don't know where to find the studies that carbs are actually not essential in children despite what the medical professionals have been telling us all these years but they know where to find the data that backs it up. Their own children are normal, happy, energetic children with no issues from low carbing whatsoever. Their brains haven't stopped functioning in other words! But each to their own and you must do your own research and be happy with whatever you choose. I am thoroughly enjoying Bernstein's way of eating.

Ali