Interesting Chat the Other Day

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
us girls from work had a wee catch up lunch last week, one of the girls has recently left to work somewhere else, so it was kind of a leaving do.
She's been diabetic for about 8 yrs, but has gone off the rails the past couple of years, put weight back on and has watched a rise in her BG.
Not knowing much about diabetes while we worked together I never really paid much attention to what she ate, but we were chatting about it over lunch.
I told her I was doing LCFF and excercise to try and see how well I could control things without meds and she asked me about the LCFF bit.
She said - she eats lots of fruit and veg, wholemeal bread, baked pots and has porridge every morning for brekkie that's what she was told to do, along with taking metaformin.
I tried to explain the LCFF as best as I could, but she was adamant it was wrong and not what she was advised - in the next breath she said "my BG is rising, so the doctor told me my next step is insulin anyway". I was like :eek: "let me try again".
I've suggested a meter, and read on here.
It's never too late is it?

Reactions: 8 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had similar conversations with a couple of folks who are really not doing well with their diabetes and seem amazed at my results, even envious, but still they adhere to the "carbs with every meal" brainwashing issued and tell me how they have to have porridge, wholemeal bread, baked potatoes.....wish they would wake up!!:mad:

Reactions: 3 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
us girls from work had a wee catch up lunch last week, one of the girls has recently left to work somewhere else, so it was kind of a leaving do.
She's been diabetic for about 8 yrs, but has gone off the rails the past couple of years, put weight back on and has watched a rise in her BG.
Not knowing much about diabetes while we worked together I never really paid much attention to what she ate, but we were chatting about it over lunch.
I told her I was doing LCFF and excercise to try and see how well I could control things without meds and she asked me about the LCFF bit.
She said - she eats lots of fruit and veg, wholemeal bread, baked pots and has porridge every morning for brekkie that's what she was told to do, along with taking metaformin.
I tried to explain the LCFF as best as I could, but she was adamant it was wrong and not what she was advised - in the next breath she said "my BG is rising, so the doctor told me my next step is insulin anyway". I was like :eek: "let me try again".
When someone has a self denial barrier put up, it is very hard to try to convince them differently. I had the same response from my neighbour who was virtually eating what he wanted, when he wanted and doing no sort of exercise whatsoever but always complaining about ailments. It wasn't until about 2 months ago did he decide to try a new lifestyle, cutting out SOME of the carbs I suggested and coming on odd walks with me as exercise. He now agrees that he does feel a bit better and has lost some weight. I am now trying to get him to cut the other carbs out, it's not easy.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She was given a meter and strips at one point by her doctor, but I'm sure she was only checking morning and night, that's pointless - to my mind anyway.
I think it's worth a try for her, even if insulin can't be avoided, I'm sure she'd see benefits.
Your results are amazing Kimbo, I'm hoping I can continue to lose weight and keep a handle on my BG levels, in my case I have lots of scope for self improvement.
Yesterday was a toughie - my sons birthday. I did have a wee piece of cake and it was gorgeous, but not the headstone size portion I'd normally have, the rest will be divvied up for friends and rellies

Reactions: 2 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had similar conversations with a couple of folks who are really not doing well with their diabetes and seem amazed at my results, even envious, but still they adhere to the "carbs with every meal" brainwashing issued and tell me how they have to have porridge, wholemeal bread, baked potatoes.....wish they would wake up!!:mad:
Hi Kimbo. Long time no hear. How are you doing? My wall has fallen down in some places where I keep hitting my head against it.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
There are some stubborn people out there, aren't there.:mad:

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum was taught the same around 10 yrs ago, and on insulin for around 6yrs. She followed all the advice and worked really hard to lose weight, to make all meals from scratch and exercise. Now I have been diagnosed and she wants to share her wisdom with me. I find it really hard because I don't want to upset her but she's also watching everything I eat when we get together, and keeps saying 'no you can't have that'. I just told her that they have turned the advice on its head and she says she is happy to be able to eat what she wants and inject now. She views this as a better quality of life, her choice, I'm not judging. It's tough to take that leap of faith I guess, after having years of being told something different.
Hopefully your colleague will do a bit of reading now and make some informed choices.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo. Long time no hear. How are you doing? My wall has fallen down in some places where I keep hitting my head against it.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
There are some stubborn people out there, aren't there.:mad:
Ha!! We all know about that wall don't we adrain? !!
Good to see you here too- I'm doing ok thanks, still rocking lchf and can't imagine being any other now, converted for life! Aiming for one more Jean size down, still peddling away daily too!
How are you doing?

Reactions: 4 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She was given a meter and strips at one point by her doctor, but I'm sure she was only checking morning and night, that's pointless - to my mind anyway.
I think it's worth a try for her, even if insulin can't be avoided, I'm sure she'd see benefits.
Your results are amazing Kimbo, I'm hoping I can continue to lose weight and keep a handle on my BG levels, in my case I have lots of scope for self improvement.
Yesterday was a toughie - my sons birthday. I did have a wee piece of cake and it was gorgeous, but not the headstone size portion I'd normally have, the rest will be divvied up for friends and rellies
I've really been amazed how I've got through christmas and easter with no real issues over "treats" etc! Easter I got 6 dark "posh" handmade truffles and treated myself to a couple a day, never spiked more than under 2 points so felt indulged without any guilt! As with your cake.....restraint on size helps!! My birthday next month- first since joining our elite club ! Haven't thought about cake yet!!

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's funny really because when we go food shopping my husband will ask if I can "have" something. My answer is "I can have anything I want, but I'm choosing not to have (whatever) because I don't like the effect it has on my body".
It's true though - and it's the biggest wake up call I've had.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's funny really because when we go food shopping my husband will ask if I can "have" something. My answer is "I can have anything I want, but I'm choosing not to have (whatever) because I don't like the effect it has on my body".
It's true though - and it's the biggest wake up call I've had.
Thats my response to folks at work who say "can you have?" - it's the truth, I could but I choose not to!!

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha!! We all know about that wall don't we adrain? !!
Good to see you here too- I'm doing ok thanks, still rocking lchf and can't imagine being any other now, converted for life! Aiming for one more Jean size down, still peddling away daily too!
How are you doing?
I'm doing fine thanks Kimbo. Just a bit naft orf about not being able to work (GP instructions) due to the heart attack. Having said that, it does give me extra time to get a lot of walking in which I enjoy. Like you I want to get down another jean size which in line would bring me into the right BMI scale. About 1/2 -1 stone more should do it, then all blood/weight results should be normal.
I ended up buying a treadmill, cross trainer, and bike just for those rainy days. Good job I have a large bedroom to put them in.
Let's hope Miss Poohs friend starts to see sense eh?

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just make sure you follow drs instructions on work ;)
I have a big bedroom too (to myself!) So my exercise bike is in there, along with my cd player- turn it up and off I go! Days off I get at least two or even three sessions in, work days if I'm on a later start I do the most in the morning and usually walk to or from work at least if not both
I'd never looked at bmi until the other day when I'd been at the gp for something else and unexpectedly hopped on his scales, after seeing I'd lost 13.2lbs again I checked, I've always heard it can be harsh, I'm 6.2 1/2, currently in 18 jeans......bmi says to be "healthy" I need another 4st loss??!! 16 jeans will be fine thank you, i don't aspire to the gaunt, skeleton look!! :p

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just make sure you follow drs instructions on work ;)
I have a big bedroom too (to myself!) So my exercise bike is in there, along with my cd player- turn it up and off I go! Days off I get at least two or even three sessions in, work days if I'm on a later start I do the most in the morning and usually walk to or from work at least if not both
I'd never looked at bmi until the other day when I'd been at the gp for something else and unexpectedly hopped on his scales, after seeing I'd lost 13.2lbs again I checked, I've always heard it can be harsh, I'm 6.2 1/2, currently in 18 jeans......bmi says to be "healthy" I need another 4st loss??!! 16 jeans will be fine thank you, i don't aspire to the gaunt, skeleton look!! :p
Blimey!! i never took you for being so tall. I'm only 5'-8" and in 34" waist jeans which are so easy to do up now that i need a belt and even that has had some extra holes added. If I get down to a 32" waist I will be in the same size jeans as I was when I was a teen and playing football.
As for the BMI chart "NORMAL HEALTHY" for me is between 8 1/2 - 11 1/2 stone, quite a big difference there. So will be aiming at around the 11 stone mark cos like you I don't want to be skinny.
One good thing that has come out of this Diabetes thing is that I am now looking after my body a bit more. Just a pity it took something like diabetes to make me do it.

Reactions: 4 people

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me to be a healthy BMI I'd need to reach 8st 13lbs :stop:

Hmmm not sure about that!!!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blimey!! i never took you for being so tall. I'm only 5'-8" and in 34" waist jeans which are so easy to do up now that i need a belt and even that has had some extra holes added. If I get down to a 32" waist I will be in the same size jeans as I was when I was a teen and playing football.
As for the BMI chart "NORMAL HEALTHY" for me is between 8 1/2 - 11 1/2 stone, quite a big difference there. So will be aiming at around the 11 stone mark cos like you I don't want to be skinny.
One good thing that has come out of this Diabetes thing is that I am now looking after my body a bit more. Just a pity it took something like diabetes to make me do it.
Thats made me feel better about the bmi range! Didn't think of probably need to go for the upper end! Yep, alway been the tallest- good genes from my ex - grenadier guard and firefighter dad who was 6.4 1/2!! Given height 16 Jeans be just fine, certainly hanging on to a bit of shape. Exactly the same here, since diagnosis I've certainly taken charge and more care and obviously that continues!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have the same problem with a friend ... he and his wife both said ..The Dr Said to eat ... I am wrong and the Dr is always right ... My friend is looking very ill .. Off to the loo every few moments.. Drinking like a fish .. I asked if he wanted to test his blood sugars .. He said NO .. The Dr told me not to ....

I am now asking myself why the heck are the Drs still preaching the eat carbs and don't test when they are so clearly wrong !! Do they just not know or give a dam about the people they are seeing .. Yes I know they are only following orders themselves ..but common Drs out there .. Get your act together and help people to get themselves in control of this condition. Or there will come a time when the family's of your diabetes will get together and take you to court.. But it will be too late by then for your friend and mine :banghead::banghead::banghead:

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found a chart and marked where I am with a X
BMI 2.JPG