Anyone have expired/dead dexcom transmitters?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm a 15 yr old T1 Diabetic. I'm looking to to get into CGM to manage my hypos and generally increase my awareness.

I'm looking for dead/expired dexcom transmitters that anyone may be able to donate to me (or even for a small fee, i'll pay for postage of course).

These usually go straight in the bin so it'd be an huge help if anyone could help me in getting one! I'd appreciate it if you could ask around to help.

Thank you so much!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
What are you going to do with a dead transmitter?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you hoping to Dremel it and replace the battery?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you hoping to Dremel it and replace the battery?
Hopefully, yes. My hypos have been getting quite bad recently and I've been refused funding from the NHS, so I'm really quite desperate to get something to be able to help manage.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hopefully, yes. My hypos have been getting quite bad recently and I've been refused funding from the NHS, so I'm really quite desperate to get something to be able to help manage.
Have you asked for a pump?
Do you carb count and test regularly?

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be fair, I'd take a dead transmitter, Dremel it to replace the battery and build and xDrip. Then all you need are the sensors which you can buy from Germany at £225 for 4. Bang, you've got yourself a CGM kit for around £300 - a lot less than the £1075 from AT.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you asked for a pump?
Do you carb count and test regularly?
According to my diabetic team I'm even less likely to get a pump. I am in the process of applying for one though.

I do, however I do a huge amount of mountain biking and at the moment it's completely throwing off my levels. I've been interested in CGM for a while and this is pretty much my only way of getting it :/

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you can't control hypos you are fast track for a pump. If you are also under 18? you are front of the queue. Pumps do work for reducing hypos, there is clear proof of that.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you talked to TeamBG about how to manage the biking?

@TeamBG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you can't control hypos you are fast track for a pump. If you are also under 18? you are front of the queue. Pumps do work for reducing hypos, there is clear proof of that.
I'm trying to get one, however from what I've seen I'm going to have a bit more luck frankenstein-ing a dexcom CGM for the moment. Since they're thrown away quite regular I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to help me out. No clue if I will be successful, though.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
According to my diabetic team I'm even less likely to get a pump. I am in the process of applying for one though.

I do, however I do a huge amount of mountain biking and at the moment it's completely throwing off my levels. I've been interested in CGM for a while and this is pretty much my only way of getting it :/
You need to find out why your team say you can not have a pump and in all honesty if they are that unhelpful then ask for a transfer to a better team at another hospital.
Point ou that you are coming to the age where you need to choose a career and learn to drive. Having bad hypos will not give you any brownie points for a driving licence.
Also point out your quality of life is being badly affected by the hypo's.
As long as you carb count and test at least 6 times a day and keep a good record of your blood sugars, there is no reason not to have a pump.
A pump would be a better option for you rather than a CGM at the moment.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm trying to get one, however from what I've seen I'm going to have a bit more luck frankenstein-ing a dexcom CGM for the moment. Since they're thrown away quite regular I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to help me out. No clue if I will be successful, though.
This is all very well but you also need a receiver and the sensors.
Sensors cost about £250 for 4 and I have no idea about the receiver cost

Have you looked at the Libre?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having just found the details in English for having a go at the G4 transmitter, I'll also take an old one if anyone has one.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having just found the details in English for having a go at the G4 transmitter, I'll also take an old one if anyone has one.
There's also a guy on this forum who's experienced at the battery replacement and will do it for a small fee.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No need for a receiver - I've totalled the costs and I'll just about be able to fund sensors if i'm able to get a transmitter and get it going again.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You don't need a receiver. You can build an xDrip for £50 or so (it's dead simple) and use it with an android phone.

You can buy the sensors from a site in Germany at €299 for four or €80 for one.

On that basis, you don't need to approach AT at all and you may be able to get CGM for around £120, which isn't far off a Libre sensor and reader.

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You don't need a receiver. You can build an xDrip for £50 or so (it's dead simple) and use it with an android phone.

You can buy the sensors from a site in Germany at €299 for four or €80 for one.

On that basis, you don't need to approach AT at all and you may be able to get CGM for around £120, which isn't far off a Libre sensor and reader.
Will they replace the sensors if they are faulty?