SHIFT WORK

leveya

Can anyone help me I work nights I get up and have lunch at 1pm dinner 5 pm snack at 10pm then I don’t eat again till 1pm next day. Should I have a breakfast before I go to bed at 7.30 pm

(Edited. Please do not post in all capitals.)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Personally I take something to eat when I am working as I get low during my shift. I also eat breakfast when I come home in the morning because I find I drop quite low before I eat again.

mikey

Hi leveya,
I was working nights when I was diagnosed and this is what I did.
I pretended I was in a different time zone and treated day as night.
So I didn't go to bed until 11 am and got up at 6 pm.
I exercised as soon as I got up and had "Breakfast" when I got back.
The rest of the meals followed as if I was on days.
It worked well for me but I guess it would depend on circumstances at home.

Just an idea.

Thanks,
Mike.

Spiral

If you don't eat regularly you will get liver dumps - your body believes you may be starving to death as it is several hours since your last meal and converts glycogen from the liver to glucose. I can sometimes hit over 7 on an empty stomach.

I carry snacks - low carb protein drinks, macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, brazils, cheese chunks. During the day I need something to eat every 3-4 hours to keep my blood sugar relatively stable.

saz1

I generally now have three meals a day and not many snacks. My bloodsugars stay stable like this so I find it easy to manage shift work. I tend to shift my eating pattern so all times are like a proper day. I tend to eat something just before bed and then again as soon as I wake up tho even if it is nuts or a bit of cheese.

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
When i was on shifts and worked Nights I just got up about 1pm, had some breakfast. Had some dinner at about 6pm then had an hour or so's kip. Got up about 8pm, had evening meal then off to work. Had snacks through the night then straight to bed after getting home. Couldn't face a brekkie before sleep, too s****in tired, plus who wants indegestion ?

D.