Confused about blood sugar levels!!!

meche

Was wondering if anyone could answer a few ???? I have. Had a bit of a funny turn at work last week (dizziness, palpitations and almost passed out). Went to Dr who did lots of tests (ECG, blood
pressure, etc) and everything was fine. The only thing that was 'odd' was my blood sugar level. This was taken about 11am and the only thing I'd had that day was a cup of coffee and a few glasses of water - the reading came out as 7.9 on a finger prick test. The nurse said this was unusually high and it should be around 7. Went for blood tests yesterday but was told my blood sugar should be about 5! Have to wait until Thurs for results but now a bit confused :? as to what a normal blood sugar should be. I've looked online but still not sure I understand :? ! Any help would be appreciated.
Michelle

NickW

Hi meche,

A non-diabetic person will usually have a blood sugar around 5 most of the day, and it's normally quite close to that (i.e. it varies up and down a little bit but not a lot). However, at certain times of day it goes a bit lower or a bit higher, and as ever it varies a little bit from person to person. So there's also a "normal range" defined, which is between 4 and 7, and readings within that range are usually considered normal. It sounds like this might be the reason for the two conflicting messages you've had (one referred to the top of the "normal range", the other referred to the "average" reading most non-diabetics have).

I know it's hard when you're waiting for blood results, but I'd try not to worry unduly until you get the results and can see your doctor to discuss them.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bernstein in his book "Dr Bernstein's diabetes solution", says that he's done random tests on non-diabetic vissitors to his clinics( eg company reps and deliveery people) and the results are almost always 85mg/dl, which translates to 4.7mmol/l. that is obviously at random times of the day.
Since Bernstein has been caring for diabetic patients and his own T1 for decades, he probably has done this hundreds of times.
I believe that the target figures put out by the medical authorities are based on what they think is atainable, rather than what is normal.
I do know that the target for a diagnosis of diabetes is set high for political reasons which were valid in the USA at the time.
A fasting BG of 7 isn't "normal". Nevertheless, for a diagnosis of diabetes to be made, this would need to be repeated and an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test administered. It's common to leave out the OGTT, but It is the official diagnostic for diabetes.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
when you eat your blood glucose levels rise but then insulin is released which enables the body to use this glucose for fuel, blood glucose levels then fall. In some people either not enough insulin is produced or they can produce a lot but their cells can't use it effectively then blood glucose levels don't fall back to normal levels.

If you haven't eaten for a while as in the morning before breakfast then your levels should be well within normal levels. These aren't well defined but glucose levels in the 5s would be considered to be normal.
People whose fasting levels are on the high side at between 6.1mmol and 6.9mmol are considered to have impaired fasting glucose; it's higher than normal but they are not considered to be diabetic. It may be possible to avoid or delay diabetes by lifestyle changes.In the US they call this level pre diabetes.
If your fasting glucose level is 7mmol or above then this is considered to be diagnostic of diabetes.
To diagnose diabetes unless the level is very high, then really a second fasting test should be done.

The first test, done by your nurse, was higher than 7mmol but this wasn't a proper fasting test, milk in your coffee for example would affect your level as might any illness or stress. It was also done using a fingertip test,and a meter that has limited accuracy.Only a test using blood from a vein and properly analysed should be used for diagnosis.

It's horrible having to wait for results,why do the take so long?
If they do indicate diabetes and you are proactive about it, there is a lot you can do to control the condition.

meche

Thanks for all your replies guys. This is all new to me so I apologise for being a bit naive about blood sugars etc! I have felt unusually tired lately and some days I have a complete lack of energy but they're also testing for thyroid problems. I'm 36, have no family history of diabetis and live a fairly healthy lifestyle so I'm hoping that goes in my favour :?
Michelle

Spiral

When I was a newly diagnosed diabetic I found http://www.bloodsugar101.com it told me loads of stuff I didn't know and gave me hope that I could achieve blood sugar levels that were normal, which may well mean that I have ana average risk of cardivascualr porblems and the other stuff that goes with diabetes. It isn't often I work so hard to be average :wink: :D

scotchpie

Dislikes
not being able to eat when i like, rudeness, liars and bad weather.
Hey there!
Welcome to club confusion! I'm a member too :D
I'm no expert but what i've learned about bg levels is this - It depends on the person and his/her individual circumstances. I think getting as close as psooible to 'normal' levels is optimal but not for everyone.
I, for instance, have very poor hypo awareness so if i kept my bg at 5, i would'nt notice a drop below 4 so i keep it about the 7 mark (or at least i try :lol: ) which is'nt ideal and could probably lead to complications later on but at least i wont drift off into a coma without realising, or at least thats the plan :!:
Things will start to fall into place and make more sense eventually. It's beginning to happen for me and, trust me, i thought it never would.
Use the resources here. There are so many people here that can help you as they have me.
And try not to worry :!: :!: It wont help your bg levels.