DIB syndrome so scared after reading about it

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You got more chance of being run over by a bus. Try not to worry too much, manage your diabetes as best you can and enjoy life. DIB is extremely rare.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Dead in bed syndrome is anyone else worried
Am I worried about it no because I wouldn't know a thing about it if it happened. Obviously for families and friends affected by it it's devastating. 30 years ago a work colleagues sister died from DIB. She had been married a matter of months when it happened :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Dead in bed syndrome is anyone else worried

As others have said, try not to worry about it, it is rare and it will only make you anxious and stressed, which isn't good for diabetes control. When you go to bed, try to think of nice things like a flowing waterfall, a starry night, or the beautiful countryside in all it's glory :joyful:

Best wishes RRB

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I've been Diabetic for over 52 years,am I worried about DIB,one word No.I am more worried about keeping my diabetes under control.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm with everyone else on this. The risk of DIB happening has been massively overblown by media and social media stories. There is not really proof that it is even a "Diabetic Complication".

Don't worry about it, you're more likely to die from Ebola.

Reactions: 6 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I must be going about with my head in the clouds as I haven't read or heard anything about it.

Reactions: 3 people

zebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes this bothers me. It is mentioned as a possibility in some information diabetes nurse gave me about autonomic neuropathy about 15 years ago as they suspected I was suffering from this. I was worried in case it prevented getting health insurance if I travel outside EU.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes this bothers me. It is mentioned as a possibility in some information diabetes nurse gave me about autonomic neuropathy about 15 years ago as they suspected I was suffering from this. I was worried in case it prevented getting health insurance if I travel outside EU.
Travelling for my job 120+ days per year in average. Has diabetes ever come up as a cause for concern for getting travel insurance or change of conditions? NO.
So has DIB ever been mentioned anywhere in this connection? NO.
As mentioned by @tim2000s above: There is not really proof that it is even a "Diabetic Complication" when a dead body is found dead in the bed. Mind you, there are many more people found dead in the bed that never had any history of diabetes. And for those, other causes are of course behind. But for a diabetic, these 'are less interesting'...
But no matter reason behind, 'scary stories' sell newspapers. Most often I simply get a big laugh out of stories where a journalist clearly get all the fundamentals totally wrong about diabetes when that subject is brought up. Also many stories in Hollywood stories are getting it totally wrong. But what they do to get the plot playing out they want to keep the plot somewhat 'interesting'...

zebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Travelling for my job 120+ days per year in average. Has diabetes ever come up as a cause for concern for getting travel insurance or change of conditions? NO.
So has DIB ever been mentioned anywhere in this connection? NO.
As mentioned by @tim2000s above: There is not really proof that it is even a "Diabetic Complication" when a dead body is found dead in the bed. Mind you, there are many more people found dead in the bed that never had any history of diabetes. And for those, other causes are of course behind. But for a diabetic, these 'are less interesting'...
But no matter reason behind, 'scary stories' sell newspapers. Most often I simply get a big laugh out of stories where a journalist clearly get all the fundamentals totally wrong about diabetes when that subject is brought up. Also many stories in Hollywood stories are getting it totally wrong. But what they do to get the plot playing out they want to keep the plot somewhat 'interesting'...
Diabetes hasn't caused problems with travel but autonomic neuropathy (AN) is the risk factor for DIB as I understand it, due to the way it can affect the nerves which supply the heart muscle. This information was from a medical journal and information specifically about AN not about diabetes in general. Probably would be covered when asking questions about the heart rather than specifically about diabetes.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just keep your nocturnal blood sugars above normal. Last night i went to bed with a reading of 6.9 and woke up 4.1 . If you go to sleep with blood sugars to low the nocturnal hypos can be nasty/lethal as any long acting insulin dose can peak through the early hours.

As the others have said, it's a rare ocurrence.