Interesting info

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm researching to write a book and I came upon something new to me.Someone has shown that type 2 diabetics have increased gluconeogenesis. This is possibly the reason some of us can handle so little carb.
It also ought to be why we should be advised to be careful with carbs and not advised to have "7 - 14 portions of starchy carbohydrate per day."
What think you all?
Hana

FordPrefect

Interesting indeed would be nice to know if this is some or all type 2s. From the information I have gathered in the UK at least they dont really bother checking for stuff like MODY, LADA etc they just say if you need insulin right away then you are type 1 if you dont you are type 2. Maybe its time for a realisation that everyone is different and more investigations done on diet and the effects of different foods and then maybe they could look at better tailoring diets and medications to people rather than the one size fits all approach we currently have. Might save them money on medications and improve people's lives due to fewer complications and reduced need for insulin and other drugs which cause an impact on quality of life.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Theotetically, every patient should have an individual care plan. Most have never even heard of them.
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Very interesting Hana. When I googled it I found that there is quite a bit of evidence that this is so.

The current diet advice about carbohydrate consumption being offered to diabetic patients is abominable and a bit like not advising someone to take their hand out of the fire when they are suffering from a burn. Perhaps the problem is their personal liability when the current NHS advice that they are all supposed to follow is still ‘eat plenty of starchy carbohydrates’?

In the light of my own experiments with carb reduction I have found that my own bg numbers are up in the morning if I have been a bit low when going to bed. That is why I was asking on another post about ‘liver dump’ as I thought my numbers were a bit odd and I know very little about it all.

I also find that I can’t seem to handle much in the way of carbs at all at any time of day.

FordPrefect
It does seem that the attitude to health care is akin to plugging the hole in the dyke with a finger rather than sorting it out properly as soon as possible. A strange attitude when we all know that it costs more in the end if you don’t fix it asap.