Which meter?

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I am new to testing as since quitting smoking - my Blood Sugars that have been stable for 9 years - have spiralled to 14 - 16 average in 6 months. I working with DBN to manage this and she gave me a Gluco Rx Nexus TD 4277 to self test. Yesterday I received my free Accu-check Performa Nano - and I like the drum lancet system however, post meal - breakfast on Gluco was 16.5 and Accu nano was 14.5 taken immediately after first one. Now I wonder if anyone has any experience of either or both meters. Naturally I am liking the Nano best. Any others have ideas in accuracy of these. BTW I have just started Michael Mosley's 8 week Blood Sugar diet - working on mainly low carbs. I am 9 stone 6 and 5'5" retired female reasonably active life style. It seems 'skinny' T2s as opposed to obese, store far internally around liver and pancreas hence the problem - but it is also harder to lose

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am new to testing as since quitting smoking - my Blood Sugars that have been stable for 9 years - have spiralled to 14 - 16 average in 6 months. I working with DBN to manage this and she gave me a Gluco Rx Nexus TD 4277 to self test. Yesterday I received my free Accu-check Performa Nano - and I like the drum lancet system however, post meal - breakfast on Gluco was 16.5 and Accu nano was 14.5 taken immediately after first one. Now I wonder if anyone has any experience of either or both meters. Naturally I am liking the Nano best. Any others have ideas in accuracy of these. BTW I have just started Michael Mosley's 8 week Blood Sugar diet - working on mainly low carbs. I am 9 stone 6 and 5'5" retired female reasonably active life style. It seems 'skinny' T2s as opposed to obese, store far internally around liver and pancreas hence the problem - but it is also harder to lose

Hi @ExChocoholic

You might find something useful here:- including user reviews.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood_glucose_monitor_guide.html

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Many thanks Urbanracer - this self testing is certainly complex ☺

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just out of interest, with your experiment - did you use a different drop of blood?

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate the gluco rx meters. Always found their numbers wonky! I use the accu chek expert and absolutely love it! GPs prefer the gluco rx range as their strips are really cheap

Reactions: 3 people

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
DBolding - thanks - just what I suspected. I will try to get prescription if not then I will have to buy them - I know they are expensive but it is my health so important

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Urbanracer, yes I did.

Hi again @ExChocoholic ,

In that case I am not overly surprised by your results. If you'd used the same drop of blood and only 1 meter twice you could still expect a difference. Using 2 drops and 2 different meters could easily lead you to quite a big difference.

The meters only have an accuracy of +/-15% so at the levels you're trying to read, you could easily have a 2mmol/L difference with 1 meter a bit high and the other a bit low.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Ok - thanks, all very technical - not really sure how a second test with different drop can alter blood sugar readings; but I am sure are right. Hoping second reading is closest though

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ok - thanks, all very technical - not really sure how a second test with different drop can alter blood sugar readings; but I am sure are right. Hoping second reading is closest though

Well believe it or not your blood is not completely homogenous, so by the time you come to do the second finger prick, the previous bit of blood has disappeared up your arm and been replaced by blood with a completely different level of sweetness.