Please can anyone help with my question?

Tina2

Hi i was diagnosed type 2 4 weeks ago i am on metphormin 4 a day, i have felt so ill for such a long time , over 3 months as my blood sugars was in 20's until seeing the diabetic nurses who started me on treatment straight away, the nurses are brilliant but i don't want to be asking to many questions, Is it normal to feel so low at this stage? i am so tired no energy at all and since starting the med's feel so sick all day i am getting really worried and quite low in myself i just wondered if this is sort of the normal thing at the beginning.
Thank you for reading this.
Tina x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Glad to read you have good nurses. They are precious and many people don't have them. You should be able to ask anything you want as often as you need. They are expecting it. However, Metformin can make your digestive system very upset. Most people adapt fairly quickly and it is a valuable and safe medicine. Plus your sysem is probably adapting to lower,ie normal, blood sugar.
You have a lot of new stuff to cope with at the moment, so give it a little while( and ask us) and speak to those lovely nurses.
Do you test yourself?
you should ask for at leat a couple of months supplies, so you can learn what suits you and what doesn't
Hope you fell better soon
Hana

Katharine

Your feeling rotten could be from at least 3 issues:

1. You have been confronted with a frightening diagnosis and you are reacting psychologically in a normal and understandable way.

2. You are having the usual gastrointestinal upsets from metformin.

3. You are used to having very high blood sugars and your system is taking time to adjust to more normal blood sugars.

Tina2

Thank you both so much for the replies, i know the nurses did say the first week that my bady wil have to adjust as it is so used to high bloods i was actually have effects of hypo's at 11.9 but since being on the medication have had a few 2.1 and 3.0 that really did make me nearly pass out, reading what you have both said is making more sense to me now so again thank you.
I have to test twice a day at the moment also have to take lucazade and digestive biscuits to bed as i have had hypo's at 3 AM regular and honest i am really not used to eating anything after tea time so it is a big change as you all know, You do a brilliant job here helping with questions.
Thanks a million.
Hugs Tina x :)

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
metphormin depletes B12, how is your B12 ?
Causes many symptoms, incuding tiredness, feelings of guilt, and others like dizziness and dementia
luv Dawnx

Tina2

Oh thanks Dawn i will ask for it to be checked as i just feel so unwell and tired like i have never been before..
Hugs Tina x

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tina I have been in just your position very recently although without the hypos I have found that eating an orange helps with the sick feeling the metformin gives you, but it does get a lot better with time.Hang in there Carol

Tina2

Thank you so much for the tip about the orange Carol, gosh it feels much better just knowing other people understand the feeling, i think i can start to look at things more posative now.
Hugs Tina x