Glibenclamide

jillyp12

Hello, My 18 year old son has had type 2 diabetes for 3 years and has been on metformin for 12 years. 3 years ago he was put onto Lantus solostar and whist this has helped to reduce his levels at times it is not doing so consistently. Today they have suggested that he starts to take Glibenclamide, however he is concerned about the weight gain side effects of this drug and also the increased risk of Hypos. Does any one out there have any experience of this drug or advice before he decides to move onto it.

Thank you

JMP

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm amazed that Glibenclamide is still legal to be used.

If you do your research on it, it's the single most cited sulfonylurea that leads to cell apoptosis. In layman's terms that means there a ton of evidence to suggest that it can lead to your son's pancreas no longer producing insulin.

If we were talking about someone who was 70 years old, it might not be a huge deal as life expectancy is a factor at that point. However, if it were my kid (or me) I would NEVER even consider it.

The weight gain associated with the drug is essentially no different from the Lantus he's already taking. Most people with type 2 are put on a sulfonylurea BEFORE artificial insulin which is why he's hearing about the weight gain side-effects.

Is he making other adjustments in his life/lifestyle to control his type 2 diabetes? I'm not going to make any assumptions but diet and exercise are extremely important for ANYONE and certainly people with diabetes (of all types).

jillyp12

I'm amazed that Glibenclamide is still legal to be used.

If you do your research on it, it's the single most cited sulfonylurea that leads to cell apoptosis. In layman's terms that means there a ton of evidence to suggest that it can lead to your son's pancreas no longer producing insulin.

If we were talking about someone who was 70 years old, it might not be a huge deal as life expectancy is a factor at that point. However, if it were my kid (or me) I would NEVER even consider it.

The weight gain associated with the drug is essentially no different from the Lantus he's already taking. Most people with type 2 are put on a sulfonylurea BEFORE artificial insulin which is why he's hearing about the weight gain side-effects.

Is he making other adjustments in his life/lifestyle to control his type 2 diabetes? I'm not going to make any assumptions but diet and exercise are extremely important for ANYONE and certainly people with diabetes (of all types).

Thank you for your input. Yes he eats healthily most of the time and up until recently when he was injured he played rugby to a high level. That has had to stop due to shoulder surgery but he is hoping to get back too the gym this week. His blood tests show that he produces a good amount of insulin but just doesn't use it well.....all suggestions gratefully accepted

JMP

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glibenclamide is a sulfonylurea which causes your pancreas' beta cells to work harder and therefore produce more insulin.

Now, sulfonylureas are a very common type of drug in treating type 2 (and type 1.5), but they're usually prescribed before insulin rather than after. Furthermore, there are drugs like Gliclazide which are widely considered to be less harmful long-term.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask the doctor why he feels a sulfonylurea would benefit your son rather than to increase his insulin doses. It is possible that there may be another reason, but if it's only to increase his total insulin output, I'd avoid that drug like the plague if I were him.

Reactions: Olufisayo

jillyp12

Glibenclamide is a sulfonylurea which causes your pancreas' beta cells to work harder and therefore produce more insulin.

Now, sulfonylureas are a very common type of drug in treating type 2 (and type 1.5), but they're usually prescribed before insulin rather than after. Furthermore, there are drugs like Gliclazide which are widely considered to be less harmful long-term.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask the doctor why he feels a sulfonylurea would benefit your son rather than to increase his insulin doses. It is possible that there may be another reason, but if it's only to increase his total insulin output, I'd avoid that drug like the plague if I were him.

Thank you I am waiting for him to call me this week to discuss the next move,
JMP

jillyp12

Thank you I am waiting for him to call me this week to discuss the next move,
JMP
my understanding is that he was put on Lantus first as generally sulfonylurea type drugs are not used in the treatment of pediatric diabetes.......but I could be wrong

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my understanding is that he was put on Lantus first as generally sulfonylurea type drugs are not used in the treatment of pediatric diabetes.......but I could be wrong
Sulfonylureas only work if your pancreas has living beta cells. With type 1 diabetes, those cells are killed off by an autoimmune attack. So you are correct, ultimately, they would not work (long-term) for someone with type 1 diabetes.

Again, that's the same problem with Glibenclamide...it's been studied to show that over time, it cause kill off pancreas beta cells. If that were to happen to your son, it would essentially make him a type 1 diabetic in the sense that his pancreas may no longer produce insulin (but not in the autoimmune sense).