lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Type 2 symtoms

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum :)

Some common symtoms of T2 are unquenchable thirst, peeing a lot, weight loss, itchy skin, thrush and tiredness.

I was diagnosed in June having all the above but the tiredness was what I really noticed. Believe me when I say I would fall asleep standing up! - I never sat down anywhere when I was out as I knew I would fall asleep. I used to fall asleep at my PC, as soon as my son was out to school and I sat down I would be away for a couple of hours and then after lunch same again.

It has completely gone now I am sorted - but what makes me laugh to myself now is if I think to myself when I get a rare moment to chill and I will have a little nap - just can't do it! - I try to take 40 winks - but no not having it! :lol:

If you are worried you may have diabetes get your doctor to do a blood test - the sooner you know the sooner you will start fellling better :)

lovinglife

FordPrefect

Re: Type 2 symtoms

I know for me the thing that forced me to the docs was the bone numbing tiredness and lack of energy. I have to admit though 2 years down the line and even with blood sugar down to an acceptable level I still feel it now. I slept from 5 until midnight, was awake until 2 slept again until 5:30 and am now barely able to keep my eyes open...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have been very tired lately. Not sleeping very well either. I do get up early in the mornings, by 7 to go to the gym. I fell asleep in my chair on Monday afternoon and woke up to a house full of smoke( alarm didn't go) I'd put a chicken carcase on to make stock. Daughter insisted I go to A&E because I'd inhaled a LOT of smoke in turning off the gas and going round to open windows.
Anyway told by doctor to be on the alert for symptoms for the next 48 hours. None appeared. So I assume I'm OK.
BG always in 4s and low 5s.So probably not a diabetes thing. Old age? :lol:
Hana

FordPrefect

Well I aint as low as you hana but my levels arent too bad of late apart from after meals they arent over 7 seem to be around 6.2-6.5, so really dont think my tiredness is due to that. Also at 34 I cant claim old age yet :p

Cowboyjim

Indeed I used to wonder why I felt tired and dozed off. But I didn't know it was a symptom of T2. Maybe that says something for lack of public awareness.

I too now have difficulty having a nap which annoys me. I sleep through the night ok but I reckon I don't need as much kip. Now I can get lots more done... ho ho, I wish. 8)

outdoorgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate to sound depressing, but if you are constantly tired and fall asleep as soon as you sit down you may have obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA). It tends to affect overweight males but not always- I'm overweight and female.

I had to fill in a questionnaire and do a few tests such as an overnight sleep test in my own home and a blood oxygen test. Now I have my very own CPAP machine which blows air up my nose basically. My blood oxygen is fine now.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I'm always exhausted even though I sleep quite well at night lately. Bone tired some days. I'm losing weight....very slowly...3 stones since end of february 2009. Some days I do have a little more energy but not much. I take vitamins etc and walk a lot but nothing seems to work for me.
I was told by doctor and diabetes nurse that it's due to diabetes. No suggestions on how to improve it though. In fact it was 'put up with it and get on with life'!!! :?