Code Free meter not well !

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using my code free meter for just over 2 years now .. and I think its not well. I tested my BS today at it told me I was 9.7 .... ouch . retested at it went even higher !!! tested with my Accu-Chek, that I save for best as the strips are so expensive and it said .... 5.8 ... That was what I was expecting 2 hrs after dinner ... So I stabbed the wife .. 10.5 !!!!! on the code free ... 5.5 on the Accu-Chek. Both have new batteries, so I can only assume the code free is suffering from some kind of blood sugar problem, could it have caught diabetes itself !!!! anyone else got problems with their code free ... or is it just me :(
(BTW ... a third meter I have was reading in the 5's for us.)

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That made me laugh.

I'd imagine the quality control on those meters aren't very high. While they're generally considered to be pretty accurate, you could have gotten a bad batch of test strips, they could have been exposed to moisture, or the meter may be going back. All possibilities.

I'd try a new batch of strips and see if the problem corrects itself.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using my code free meter for just over 2 years now .. and I think its not well. I tested my BS today at it told me I was 9.7 .... ouch . retested at it went even higher !!! tested with my Accu-Chek, that I save for best as the strips are so expensive and it said .... 5.8 ... That was what I was expecting 2 hrs after dinner ... So I stabbed the wife .. 10.5 !!!!! on the code free ... 5.5 on the Accu-Chek. Both have new batteries, so I can only assume the code free is suffering from some kind of blood sugar problem, could it have caught diabetes itself !!!! anyone else got problems with their code free ... or is it just me :(
(BTW ... a third meter I have was reading in the 5's for us.)
Strips can go really wonky if they are left open too long in certain environments. It doesn't have to be the lid flapping in the breeze, but just not snapped down. Have you tried your Codefree with a strip from a fresh pot?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think the Codefree meters last very long. My first one went after 9 months - wonky readings then ridiculous readings, then it just gave up the ghost. As they are cheap enough I sent for a new one. I've had this one about a year now and so far so good.

Do try a new tub of strips first and see what happens. If you have opened the present tub and removed a strip with anything approaching damp/unwashed/unrinsed fingers, or not closed the lid properly, or left it out in the cold/heat, you may have contaminated the rest of the tub.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the batch number? This is shown on the tub beginning with SO ......

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think the Codefree meters last very long. My first one went after 9 months - wonky readings then ridiculous readings, then it just gave up the ghost. As they are cheap enough I sent for a new one. I've had this one about a year now and so far so good.

Do try a new tub of strips first and see what happens. If you have opened the present tub and removed a strip with anything approaching damp/unwashed/unrinsed fingers, or not closed the lid properly, or left it out in the cold/heat, you may have contaminated the rest of the tub.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the batch number? This is shown on the tub beginning with SO ......

The meter should have come with a 12 month warranty.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine went south after about 13 months of heavy use.... and was replaced by those nice people at Bayer, who gave me a free one.. but oddly no free strips.., which I have cut down on as things have "settled"... :)

tinker1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy days
I recently had problems with my code free strips I contacted Home Health and they sent replacement strips they said they had had another complaint from the same batch maybe this may be the reason for unusual readings :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That made me laugh.

I'd imagine the quality control on those meters aren't very high. While they're generally considered to be pretty accurate, you could have gotten a bad batch of test strips, they could have been exposed to moisture, or the meter may be going back. All possibilities.

I'd try a new batch of strips and see if the problem corrects itself.
Don't think it's the strips .. They were reading a little high on the last tub .. But not like this .. And the next box has the same code number so will be the same, not bothered to try the new box yet. It was playing up by forgetting to give the reading, going back to sleep before the end of the count down ... Think it could have a touch of dementia!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strips can go really wonky if they are left open too long in certain environments. It doesn't have to be the lid flapping in the breeze, but just not snapped down. Have you tried your Codefree with a strip from a fresh pot?
Never .. Ever had any problems in the two years plus I have be using them .. It's been having other problems as well.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks bluetit.. I think it's going to need changing ... It's over two years old and been used a lot. Test strips have been reading high on the box before this one and all my boxes have the same batch code ... SO3115037 .. No point in opening another box as I am thinking the meters giving up the ghost. Just so pleased I had my other meters to check the very high readings. This tub is quite new and I am very careful with hands and closing pots.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never .. Ever had any problems in the two years plus I have be using them .. It's been having other problems as well.
Before replacing it, why not open a new pot and do a comparative test. I'm using a pot at the moment I'm getting some wonky numbers from (and I'm fine), so I must take my own advice! Although, to be fair, I do think it's the pot of strips in my case as it began when I changed pots.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bluetit.. I think it's going to need changing ... It's over two years old and been used a lot. Test strips have been reading high on the box before this one and all my boxes have the same batch code ... SO3115037 .. No point in opening another box as I am thinking the meters giving up the ghost. Just so pleased I had my other meters to check the very high readings. This tub is quite new and I am very careful with hands and closing pots.
Trust me Nosher, there may be. That's the batch I've been having some silly numbers on. Honestly.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine went south after about 13 months of heavy use.... and was replaced by those nice people at Bayer, who gave me a free one.. but oddly no free strips.., which I have cut down on as things have "settled"... :)
Yes think I will order a new one ..

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had problems with my code free strips I contacted Home Health and they sent replacement strips they said they had had another complaint from the same batch maybe this may be the reason for unusual readings :)
Oooooo. ... Do you have the batch numbers ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it was batch ending 37 that was giving me high readings, although nothing as high as the readings you were seeing. I did some comparison tests only this afternoon, comparing simultaneous readings with Codefree batches 37, 16 and 27, plus my Libre sensor. Very illuminating. Batch 37 was much higher than the rest.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O ... Well I may just keep the meter and dump the strips :nailbiting:
Try another pot, they're inconsistent. And before ordering anything, speak (with voice) to Homehealth. They're very easy to deal with on the phone.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try another pot, they're inconsistent. And before ordering anything, speak (with voice) to Homehealth. They're very easy to deal with on the phone.
Talk ...with a voice ..on a telephone. ... It's been years since I have spoken on a telephone ! Will see if I can find the phone ..or use the wife's mobile ...only problem with that is I don't know how it works ..LOL