Trying to make it fun if possible

fella

Hi all

I'm new to this site, but it looks good so far.

I'm Type 1, regularly inject 4 to 5 times a day (don't have a problem with this). What I would like to do is make it all a bit more fun (well you know what I mean). I wan't to see if there are ay multi coloured pens or designer insulin pouches. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.I'm 35 and still haven't grown up so if there is anything that has been produced for kids in mind I'm all up for that.

Well If anyone has got any Ideas then please let me know.

All the best to you fellow tummy stabbers out there

rainbow fish

g'day Fella (makes me feel like John Wayne!)
What a cool idea, at the moment I use a disposable pen but was also thinking I'd like to choose something colourful when the next step comes. I once had a brochure from the pharmacy (here in Germany) that had a selection of rather nice looking pens, plus some things for kids which were even brighter. I can try and search it out for you, but hopefully some local UK people will be able to point you in the right direction a lot sooner.
cheers
bruce

Katharine

Well, I've heard of some optimists in my time, but if you can have fun while you inject, why not?

Novo makes demi pens and junior pens which are brightly coloured and sometimes patterned. They have half unit increments which is why I use them.

We use three different insulins levemir (orange and blue pen) hypurin (teal pen) and novorapid (green pen with blue and orange balloons on it).

If you have any other ideas about how to have fun while injecting or having diabetes I would love to hear them. The only fun we have is the "guessing the blood sugar/hbaic" game. The problem is that my smart kids have out strategied me. They always get me to choose first. One picks the next point of a unit higher (and up) and the other the next unit lower (and down). I only get to win if I am absolutely spot on. Sometimes I do win - even with these cheats to contend with.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I buy small ballpoint pens so the outside of the pen in my testing kit matches the colour I'm wearing. Coloured ink could be used to indicate whether the reading is high, low or on target, with the good readings being your favourite colour (unless your favourite colour is yellow or white!).

Pencil cases with cartoon characters on are available, not the big clumsy things but slim ones which would take an insulin pen and needles.

Not that I'm a stationery geek or anything! Just got fed up with handbags that wouldn't take my insulin in its case and boring pens!
Sue

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi fella!

remember, growing old is inevitable.

Growing up is optional.

How about injection parties?

'I'll show you mine if you show me yours'

Coming OUT of the closet !!!!!! 8)

lionrampant

When I was a kid we had coloured injection pens. Heck right up until 2005 I was using Novo pens in yellow and red, silver and grey, and green and blue (three insulins is fun :mrgreen: ).

To be honest, they felt more solid and more reliable than these Libby/Sanofi Aventis ones I'm stuck with now.

Bronagh

When I was 11 I was given a colourful pen with a funky little coloured case...although 10 years on I've now switched to disposable pens (which as you know look dull and pretty **** boring!), I've kept the case because it brightens things up a bit. I did use a grey "sophisticated" case for one week with the intention of growing up a bit, but went back to my kiddie case because if you've got to do something that's not exactly enjoyable, you may as well be quirky about it :D

fella

I've got to say, "What a response....!"

It would appear i'm not the only fun minded sado out there. I especially think the injection parties could be cool. You could then go onto spin the pen or throw all your pens into the middle of the room etc (bit like car keys).

I've thought about drawing a little dartboard on my belly and playing round the clock,but I think It may get a little sore.

As for keeping stuff In pencil cases, my boss bought me an Iron Maiden one at Xmas just for that job.

Well lets see If we can all keep the Ideas coming. I think I'm going to ask my GP he's an absolute star so we can see what he comes up with....

Ady