Is this the case with exercise to correct high bs

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
Whenever I have a high blood sugar ( most days) above 10 my preferred method of correcting is with insulin even though it's slower than exercise. The problem I find with exercise is that it's a lot quicker at that moment in time but once you stop exercising it starting to climb back up again and my question is, is this usual and does anyone else here expirience the same thing?

By the way an extra question, Why do correction doses with insulin take hours to work?

Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @james122

You say your bg increases when you stop exercising, have you tried doing a basal test to make sure the rise isn't due to insufficient basal insulin?

DR_Hornet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My insulin corrects reasonably quickly. Are you injecting in a site that is lumpy? The absorption is much slower. Inject before food. I use my fitnesspal to tell me how many carbs in about to take onboard. Also try and cut your carbs down, then you won't need so much insulin to bring it down in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I am T2 on just a minimum dose of Metformin and diet for diabetes management it is very different for me but I am very reluctant to become too dependant on exercise as my primary means of blood glucose control as any minor injury could result in my control being lost.
As T1 you of course have more flexibility.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's really high (10+) I do a combo of 0.5-1 unit of insulin and then gentle exercise.

The exercise makes the insulin work quicker.

I agree that you should do basal testing for a couple of days to check that your basal isn't set too low.

If your spikes are after meals you can look at experimenting with the timing and/or quantity of bolus.

I highly recommend reading "Think like a pancreas" if you haven't already. Every T1 should be issued with a copy IMO!!

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I'm in double figures a correction dose does take at least 90 minutes (often longer) to have any effect - when your blood sugar is high you are insulin resistant, so it will take ages for a correction to do anything.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do this all the times myself, and it depends on WHY you have high sugars.

I know that if i eat a meal, and mess up my carb count and go high i can take a walk (about 2-4km) and in 20-30 minutes my levels are straight back to 5s, If i bolus it takes an hour before i see them move at all.

Now the problem would be the WHY are your sugars high. If i eat a whole bunch of food and they go up and I go for a walk they will go down, but if that food is not finished digesting (Peanut Butter is my usual culprit, or other slow GI foods) then yes, about 30 minutes after the walk they go back up.

As mentioned above you should ensure your basal insulin is correct, and if so then you should note any possible reasons for why they would be high prior to your choice of lowering them. In the case of my PB problem i usually go for a walk, and when i get back i set a temporay basal rate on my pump to adjust for the PB increase that i know will follow haha This way they stay in the 5s and 6s instead of climbing back up.

Play around with different methods, keep good records of what you do and how it works, and soon you will have it sorted much better.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just a thought.? Depending on the "exersise". Could "liver dump" have something to do with it??

I know sometimes, with a fasting level of 4.8, a swift coffee & out with the dog before work. Keeping something in my pocket just incase.. (though one would assume I was heading for a drop?) I get back an hour later not needing it. (Can't do breakfast.)
Test again before driving to work. & I'm 6mmol!
"Fight or flight" response...

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just a thought.? Depending on the "exersise". Could "liver dump" have something to do with it??

I know sometimes, with a fasting level of 4.8, a swift coffee & out with the dog before work. Keeping something in my pocket just incase.. (though one would assume I was heading for a drop?) I get back an hour later not needing it. (Can't do breakfast.)
Test again before driving to work. & I'm 6mmol!
"Fight or flight" response...

Perhaps... I find i get a raise with coffee though. I usually take 1 splenda packet with my coffee, so either black coffee is raising my sugars that 1-2mmol/L or its 1 single packet of splenda. It shouldnt be either, but it is certainly happening every day lol

I have read that some people can see a rise with caffeine so now i take 0.2u for my coffees and it stays level. Do you drink your black or with a sweetener ?

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
I take the same breakfast and exercise every morning and the BG can differ wildly so I never use exercise for control

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps... I find i get a raise with coffee though. I usually take 1 splenda packet with my coffee, so either black coffee is raising my sugars that 1-2mmol/L or its 1 single packet of splenda. It shouldnt be either, but it is certainly happening every day lol

I have read that some people can see a rise with caffeine so now i take 0.2u for my coffees and it stays level. Do you drink your black or with a sweetener ?

To be fair, a small meagre dash of milk & nothing else. (no one else I know would drink my coffees like that.) lol

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just stopped with the peanut butter and almond butter for that matter and limit my nuts to just a few. They not only raise me but make me insulin resistant.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cardio doesn't generally reduce BG unless >45mins.