Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ardberg,

That's entirely up to yourself to choose not to eat chocolate. The dark chocolate with a high cocoa content has been proven to aid heart health, so it aint all that bad!

Remember everything in moderation, no one would suggest that we eat sweetstuff every day, but as a occasional treat, nothing beats it. I can quite easily accomodate small amounts of chocolate in my diet should I choose. Just like your little indulgence in red wine and whisky once you are stabilised, in small quantities it will do no harm and give you the feel good factor.

As we keep saying on this forum time after time..............we are all different!

Regards

Nigel

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
If you're T1 you don't HAVE to avoid chocolate, that sort of dietary advice went out of fashion in the 1980s. A piece of white bread will spike your bg much quicker than chocolate. So as long as you know the carbs and bolus accordingly, no problem having a little bit every now and then.

barkbark

I agree with Kegstore 100%, Diabetes should not control your life, you should control it. By doing things in moderation you can enjoy life as much as anyone without diabetes - be this choosing to eat chocolate, drink, exercise, sit at a desk all day, work on a building site etc. As a Diabetic you can choose how you wish to lead your life (whatever that may be) but the attitude of 'you should not' or 'must not' is wrong, you can do as you wish but simply understand what you are doing, the impact of it on your diabetes and control that impact - exactly what a body does if it is not diabetic.

bufferz

barkbark said:
I agree with Kegstore 100%, Diabetes should not control your life, you should control it. As a Diabetic you can choose how you wish to lead your life (whatever that may be) but the attitude of 'you should not' or 'must not' is wrong

Exactly!! You only get 1 go at this life, so why deprive yourself of anything?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bufferz said:
barkbark said:
I agree with Kegstore 100%, Diabetes should not control your life, you should control it. As a Diabetic you can choose how you wish to lead your life (whatever that may be) but the attitude of 'you should not' or 'must not' is wrong

Exactly!! You only get 1 go at this life, so why deprive yourself of anything?

Like the attitude you two!

Yes, this isn't a dress rehearsal, we are only here the once! :( :)

Nigel

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
I've been diabetic since I was nine... am i supposed to never ever have any chocolate, or sweets, or deserts, or anything remotely sweet for the rest of my life?
eeerm... no.

I like chocolate, especially combined with coffee. The important things is learning how to deal with them, managing them. Not just randomly binging.
I have a lower carb meal, maybe a salad, why shouldn't i have chocolate with coffee afterwards?
I can deal with it regarding blood sugars, I'm not worried about my weight, and I am perfectly happy taking one chocolate out of the cupboard.

Diabetes doesn't mean we can't have chocolate and enjoy it, it just means i have to be a little more careful.
I think learning to manage something you enjoy is far more beneficial than removing said pleasure.

barkbark

Spot-on Celtic.Piskie, like you I have been Diabetic since I was 7 years old (well nearly like you!) and believe the approach of 'cannot' does only one thing, make you want it more. Being Diabetic in reality should make you a healthier person than a non-diabetic (ok, maybe a bit of wishful thinking) if for no other reason than we think about what we consume, do and how our bodies feel and in turn understand the impact of it on us - much more than many people without diabetes do!

Shazza

i have told my son there is no such word as cannot, a bit of plannning yes but it can always be worked in either with low carbs, exercise. or extra insulin, really annoys me when people say oh you cant have that :evil: :evil:

Dobbs

I confess I gave in and had a Kit-Kat a couple of days ago (long before I saw this post :oops: ). Am apparently still alive.
Speaking as a type 2, it all depends what the TOTAL picture of your diet is like, doesn't it? I almost never eat "normal" chocolate these days, but a square or two of Green & Black's 90%, some days, maybe even most days.
I feel if you have really committed (emotionally) to the diet you believe is right for you, and stick to it pretty strictly, the occasional small "misdemeanor" is not seriously harmful and is actually... fun? More fun than it used to be in the pre-diagnosis days?

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
See. i have a big problem with things marked as 'misdemeanours' in diets, and diets that completely 'ban' things in general.

If you want chocolate, or anything else, try absolutely everything within your power to do it right !
Maybe you need to have a glass of full fat milk with it, or a coffee with cream.
If a diet makes you feel bad about eating something you really enjoy, then it's a ba diet.

Sure, there are some things i can't eat. Slushies for one, cotton candy for another. But i'd rather have my good control than those, and i've chosen that, so I don't mind, I don't miss them.
I'd rather have 15 good years, full of chocolate, coffee, and enjoying my food, than 17 of knowing i can never eat my enjoyable things.

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
All hail the cadbury revolution we are human and should behave accordingly . 8)
Enjoy the little things but be sensible and there won't be a problem

hismom

hi,
my son (13) does a lot of performing arts and has been told to have a kitkat (2 fingers) when he is either on stage or at rehearsals. It is rare that he is high after so I guess as long as you exercise it should be ok in moderation.

newbieloon

Dislikes
Diabetes..
oh giiiiiiiiddy golly gosh
im 14 had diabetes since november
and when i want a kit kat ill get a kit kat.
its that bad.

my will power is terrible i do need help with this
in fact i was bored
so i had a packet of malteasers, 2 ginger nut biscutes, 1 penguin, & 2 fox butter biscutes...
at the time it seemed a good idea.

your probably thinking im fat right?
im just over 6st i need to gain weight.
GAHHHHHH I HATE DIABETES </3

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last Friday I ate 4 donuts! Not all together, but still, had to inject massive doses of insulin to go with them.

Everyone has a blow out sometimes :twisted:

Sam.

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
I want a kit kat too now :lol:

my colleague has one in her drawer............ :twisted:

I totally agree that we should eat what we want when we crave it, why else do we have medication to help us lead a 'normal' life.

i personally feel worse when i tell myself that i can't have something, it's even more terrible when someone else tells you.

I find that i get my moneys worth now from a 4 fingered kit kat.......lasts me 4 days!! :lol: i just ask my friend at work to keep the other 3 fingers for me and stops the temptation.......kinda.

keep no chocolate at home so im fine.

we only live once. im not living it restricted.

Derek27db

shedges said:
Last Friday I ate 4 donuts! Not all together, but still, had to inject massive doses of insulin to go with them.

Everyone has a blow out sometimes :twisted:

Sam.

Totaly with you on that one shedges. This is a moment where we need a "Hmmm, donuts" smiley :mrgreen:

I too like to treat myself to a lovely 4 pack of ring donuts nicely covered in icing with chocolate chips sprinkled on top, 30g of carbs each and with the correct insulin ratio it's covered. The only bad thing is my waistline comes off worst, so I just work of the calories in time to start again :wink:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
bufferz said:
try the hartleys low cal jellies - nice and sweet, and only 2g of carbs per pot....

Ooh, they are really, really nice :D :D

rasik500

Just go and have a kit kat and take necessary insulin to to cover the carb intake

I have a sweet most days and my BGF is in control AV 7.6 last 7 days in on pump now