Dupytrons Contracture in feet

Penevor

My husband is in hospital today for surgery on his little toe (may need amputation - not sure yet) He has just phoned me to say he has Dupytrons contracture on both feet. I thought this was something that only affected hands? (He has had surgery for it on his hand already)
They are going to operate on the same foot as they are doing his toe, and then he will be on the waiting list for the other foot.
Anyone ever heard of this please?
Am really worried. :?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
dont know much but was recently seeing a consultant with my other half,apparently hes got it on his hand ,it can happen in hands and feet and is of viking origin is what we were told
sorry i cant help
:wink:

ChocFish

Hi, I had a client with Dupuytren's disease, but he had this only in his hands, he did get lots of advice and support from the Dupuytren helpline, see the link below.

http://www.dupuytren-online.info/

I hope it works out well for your husband, thinking of you.

All the best

Karen

junieliz

Hi Penevor, my husband has type 2 and has had this for 2 years now, he has got Dupytrons on palms of both hands and under the arch of his feet, the doctor told him what it was but didn't seem unduly concerned about it. The doctor said it would not be operated on until his hands started to claw, at the moment it is very hard and it is as if he has tucks in his palms. He is working full time and says sometimes his feet burn where the lumps are but he isn't complaining as yet. Hope everything goes ok for your husban take care junieliz

Sweet3x

my step father has this, but in his fingers, not his toes. Comes, he's told, of being an architect and holding a pen all day for 50 odd years. Hairdressers can get it too, again from holding something (hairbrush/dryer/etc)
No idea how true that is.
And sorry, no idea whether it's common in toes.
Hope he gets it sorted out ok, though :)

martinbuchan

Dupuytren's disease is more common in diabetics. It is linked to Viking ancestry and so is more common in western Britain and the South/ Channel Islands (Normans). In the feet it is called Lederhosen disease. If it causes restriction of finger extension then it can be operated upon. Surgeons try to avoid operating on the feet for this disease as much as possible (mainly for painful lumps).

It is thought to be related to abnormality of triglyceride metabolism and is also seen more commonly in epileptics, alcoholics and diabetics. It can be very slowly progressive, but in some unfortunates it can be more aggressive and need repeat surgery (more commonly seen in people who start younger, have a strong family history, have Lederhosen disease, have thick knuckle 'Garrods' pads, and a Peyronie's disease [look it up]).

If you can put your hand flat on a surface, there is no need to worry (Hueston's table top test).