Am I killing myself

LittleV

A dramatic question I know, but I cant ask my diabetic nurse, because I would feel just too stupid, so this is the scenario..

Was diagnosed over 2 years ago, been insulin dependent nearly 18 months, average 42 twice per day + 2 glucophage twice a day, the thing is I dont do anything I should really, half the time I forget to do the morning insulin altho generally remember the tablets, but am on a type of insulin that is supposed to be done 30 mins before eating, and for the last 30 odd years of my life I have never eaten breakfast, seems a hard habit to break, so the day creeps on, then at some point I go a bit hypo, grab something ridiculous and try to remember to do my insulin 30 mins before my evening meal. Bearing in mind that I am cooking for 2 hungry, bolshy teenagers, and keeping the peace is more on my mind than slipping off and stabbling myself with a needle :roll:

So the evening injection is sometimes after dinner (eg when I remember it) and the tablets during the course of the evening sometime, resulting in me waking in a sweat about 2am with a very low bg

The thing is, I really dont care, I already have Lupus and arthritis, have put on 5stone while waiting 10 years for a hip replacement, eventually done in my late 40's, that went disasterously wrong, meaning that 3 years on walking is still a struggle, so diabetes was to me like the final straw. Mentally I just dont seem able to deal with it, I ate a piece of coffee cake while I was typing this :oops: which I know means at some point my bg will go right up, resulting in a thumping headache, but why should I have to give up every **** pleasure in life (one of which was walking) why me I want to ask, stamp my feet and say its not fair, yet the sensible intelligent side of me says I should be researching a low carb diet, getting my bg down, losing weight (I have a gym membership I havent used for months) and generally making my life better....but you know something....I really cant be bothered :(

dragongirl

Really sorry to hear you feel quite so low and and (?) angry (?) about everything. You've been dealt a bummer, agreed. And two bolshy teens is just what you don't need. You could go talk to your doc or nurse about how you feel - not necessarily asking them if you are killing yourself! - but probably they would tell you to sort out the insulin first, and I think you know that anyway. I'm not ID myself but I imagine if you did sort that out (set a pinger so you don't have to 'care' enough to remember?) you could at least eat a few things you fancied without ill effect. That way you wouldn't be killing yourself and you wouldn't be depriving yourself either. Also, now you've stamped your feet and declared life is unfair (it is!) and this forum is an okay place to do that, you sound as if you know what to do, and if you stay here and get a bit of support, you may just find that one of the things you know you need to do (a small one, mind!) is faceable. Doesn't sound like it would be going to the gym every day! Something easier that brings an immediate reward?
Talking to people on here is maybe easier than fessin' up to the GP, so why not give it a go and see if it helps?
Virtual hug (if I may) coming over! You can't change life in general but you can make your own decision to accept some support, and it may make life a tiny bit better. Good luck!
DG

LittleV

Ty Dragongirl, and apologies to you and those others to whom I must appear angry and bitter, there are so many upbeat posts on these boards, and I have spent a couple of weeks just scrolling round a lot of them, as you point out I know what to do really, I sometimes wonder if I am waiting for some almighty kick in the pants to motivate me into actually doing it :?

bufferz

EVERY single one of us have been in your situation, whether to the same or a greater/lesser extent, and anyone who says they have never felt down about the diabetes is a liar....I have been diagnosed for 7 years, and its only this year that i have brought myself to do anything effective about it, the kick up my **** so to speak was simply i decided i had had enough of the meds....the 'happy' posts on here are down to the support that is available on here, ive been on here for a month, tops, and have lost weight, am much happier with my outlook on my situation, and it is all down to this lot, and obviously the support from my wife, tho she supported me even when i was on my down cycles too..

Maybe go to the gym and see if they do fun stuff, aerobics, or whatever you are into, as i know from the past 4 weeks of doing the gym in work that it isnt the most exciting thing to be on a bike/treadmill for 30-60 mins, esp if you are not all that motivated, and the weather isnt quite ready for outdor activities yet either..But have a word with your DN, she wont judge you, in fact will probably help you on your way to a happier place.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi LittleV

Sorry you are so down just now. :( You have quite a bucketful to cope with and it is hardly surprising that you find it difficult to sort it all out.

As DragonGirl says, you know what you need to – you just need to get your head round it! It seems pretty daunting to start off and there are so many things to think about but it will come once you start.

The weather will pick up very soon and you are in an ideal place for walks. Neither the downs nor the sea are far away and as you belong to a gym you have that as an option for when the weather is bad. Sometimes you just need to get out of the house even if just to sit and watch the world go by.

One thing I would suggest is that you need help from the family. Are they supportive or do they wait for you to do the lot?

If you are doing everything then I suggest you tell the teenagers that they are responsible for one meal each per week. :idea: You can give help to start with and gradually back off. You need them to start helping you and you need to make it clear that they have to shoulder some of the chores too. You are not well and they need to help you, no begging or pleading from you is necessary as it should be part of living together in a family.

I did that with my children and my daughter-in-law is very grateful to me as she has benefitted greatly. 8) Their children are learning and they are very keen even though they are not very big yet.

carbjunky

Hi
good for you for posting. Half the battle is being honest with yourself. I don't have any advice - just please know that I too have gotten very angry and sabotaged my own health and control once or twice...I don't think it is that uncommon!

One day at a time, one issue at a time.

:)

sue@ssh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi LittleV,

have felt this way myself for longer than I care to admit. My 'control' is haphazzard to say the least and I know I need the proverbial kick up the pants - but have no motivation/interest. Life has been a bore and down due to various reasons for the past year but wont go into that here. I get lots of support from just reading through these posts - has been known to save my sanity - enough! .....

All advice given is excellent - keep feeling positive and useful results follow. Good luck!

Sue x

Synonym

Dislikes
Hello again LittleV, :)

I keep coming back to this thread and wondering how you are getting on (and also sue@ssh now) and I think I have worked out what your problem is. You have problems with your endorphins, the body's natural feel-good chemical.

I hate that advert where they keep say “You’re worth it” or “We’re worth it” but, do you know something, every person with diabetes needs to say it because WE ARE!!

No-one needs a kick in the pants or anything like that and I know that because I have never found any volunteers for one! :roll: Your pancreas is broken so you just need to work out ways to live with it the way it is. Nobody will ever think it is a wonderful thing to have happened to you but at least you have been diagnosed, you know about it and can do something to help yourself.

At the bottom of it all I reckon it’s those endorphins again – they really do need releasing so……..

Get out that music you really love and play it good and loud, best with a head set on if there is anyone else around! Move a bit, and do it in a daft way if there is no-one looking or if you don’t care. Singing is great for those endorphins so sing!

Plan an outing, even if it is just a walk. Invite a friend to come with you if you like. Go out for a picnic, even if you have to wrap up really warm or have it in the car. Write a note or a letter to someone you love or someone you have lost touch with. Get a good book from the library. Read a story or some poetry. Plan a scrummy meal or even a menu. Think about something that made you happy and write it down so you can read about it again later, even if goes back to the year dot it can still make you smile.

Hug the cat, or if you haven’t got one go and visit a friend who has and hug theirs! Or take the dog out for a walk – you can even borrow one of those to take out. Go and visit someone who is stuck indoors and can’t get out and get them to chat – it will do you both good. You might even be able to help them out with getting some shopping in for them.

Think of the hobbies you once had and could take up again and have a go at again or think of something completely different you might like to do.

Acupuncture is good for releasing endorphins too; I found this out by accident when I was having treatment for tennis elbow and when I commented on how good I felt was told it is known to make you feel cosy and happy.

The best thing to do is laugh and, whilst I know that sounds ridiculous if you don’t feel like it, having a good laugh really does make you feel better. You can feel pretty silly to start with but once you get started it becomes much easier. When things have been really bad I have done this myself; and once when I started I couldn’t stop and ended up in tears which was ok as I felt much, much better afterwards! Seems daft but it works! If you can’t do it without a prompt then try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI1nPd7hezM or similar.

Your endorphins will be released and you will feel much better – just remember that you have to keep doing one or more of these things; and you will be better able to do other things when you aren’t lugging all those wretched endorphins around. 8)

Life doesn’t have to be a bore at all. So, particularly when a bit down, let us just do nice things to make our condition better – just love ourselves! :D

LittleV

Well do you know something, I AM feeling a little better. A consequence I feel is directly related to meeting all the lovely people on here, and secondly taking advice from many of the interesting threads.

This week for the first time in 2 years my bg has been under 10 consistently, going as low as 3.6 on one occasion, but in the main hovering around the 6-7 mark. Prior to this would expect it to be at leats 14 at some point during the day, was 23.3 when I was diagnosed after a 12 hour fast, lol.

So if nothing else the feeling of being back in control a little has obviously helped, as I am sure the cinnamon I mentioned on another thread is helping, and have even made it back to the gym this week, with some sessions booked with a personal trainer starting next week to work out a full programme for me.

I feel quite ashamed of my original post, almost everyone on here is so positive, so in some ways I gave myself a kick up the pants, for being so negative, when there are so many kind, helpful and positive people on here :)

Thank you all!!

geddron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am a new member of the community, but i would like to give you an insight in to my life, which will hopefully let you see that you are not alone out there..

I am 34 in march,I dont have the time to share all my misfortunes and i'm sure i wouldn't remeber them all anyway! so here is a small insight in to some of it!

my life began to deal me a kick in the nuts regularly after the age of 18.
i finally sorted out my life and grew up, made a decision on my lifes career and went for it big time.. I landed a good job with high pay as a motorcycle courier (my dream job) i love motorcycles and riding one and getting paid for it was a dream come true!
After 8 months of starting the job, i was earning a whole lot of cash anmd my lifestyle was great..

this was abruptly ended by an idiot motorist smashing the entire left side of my body to bits..
after 8 months in hospital including 3 months intensive care, i finally left the hospital bed complete with more metalwork than a scaffold company inserted in various parts of my body!

i spent 2 years learning to walk again and freed myself from the prison of my wheelchair..

i was still left with problems of slight disability, but i was on the up again.. i spent 5 years out of work because no-one wanted to employ a young guy who wasn't fully capable of heavy work. so i ended up gaining more and more weight, eventually balancing out at around 20 stone.

i found a few jobs here and there and ended up as a cleaner! great huh!

time went on and finally i met my now partner and moved in together, i got back in to courier work driving vans. now that the money situation was better we decided to have a kid, so we did.. we had a lovely daughter who is now six.
everything going well, i started a business in my courier work which failed after 3 years of good trading after being priced in to closure..
me and my partner had another child who we sadly lost prematurely which lead to a lot of menthal trauma, since then we have been trying again and again but keep losing them through misscarriage which has done nothing but worsen the blow everytime..

I fell over last year whilst at work and ended up having to have several operations in order to remove pins that had bent in my legs, and now finally i decided to get my life together and sort out my body and my fitness.. the next kick in the pants arrives at 33.. diabetes type 2..

too little too late, should have done it sooner... but life is like that.. i know that as much as i say i was going to sort myself out, i probably wouldn't have.. diabetes may not be a good thing in most ways, but it certainly has given me the kick up the backside to finally get my health in order.. what more of a kick would you need then facing the reality of going blind, liver or kidney failure? or possibly death?
Althouhg i think i miss most of the things i can no longer have, i can feel comfortable knowing that i had far too much before and i can indulge every now and then.. but sensibly and healthily..

what ever life throws at you mate, if you look at it like your a victim, you will feel like one..
i have learned throughout my life that being a survivor feels much better!

hope you are feeling better since the last post... best regards..

Synonym

Dislikes
Hello again Paul :)

You sound good and positive and very together and you are still standing tall after all that - well done you! 8) :D

harveysandhu

Littlev, something to ponder over

Just For Today!

1. Just for today I will be happy. This assumes that what Abraham Lincoln said is true, that "most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Happiness is from within; it is not a matter of externals.
2. Just for today I will try to adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my family, my business, and my luck as they come and fit myself to them.
3. Just for today I will take care of my body. I will exercise it, care for it, nourish it, not abuse nor neglect it, so that it will be a perfect machine for my bidding.
4. Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.
5. Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways; I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out. I will do at least two things I don't want to do as William James suggests, just for exercise.
6. Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress as becomingly as possible, talk low, act courteously, be liberal with praise, criticize not at all, nor fault with anything and not try to regulate nor improve anyone.
7. Just for today I will try to live through this day only, not to tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do things for twelve hours that would appall me if I had to keep them up for a lifetime.
8. Just for today I will have a program. I will write down what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. It will eliminate two pests, hurry and indecision.
9. Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. In this half hour sometimes I will think of God, so as to get a little more perspective into my life.
10. Just for today I will be unafraid, especially I will not be afraid to be happy, to enjoy what is beautiful, to love, and to believe that those I love, love me.
If we want to develop a mental attitude that will bring us peace and happiness, here is Rule #1:
Think and act cheerfully, and you will feel cheerful.
Written by Sybyl F Partridge in 1916 and printed in

pleonism

Hey LittleV,

I hear your pain!!!! I have been exactly where you are. Then my BG gets more controlled and the sad/ angry/ self pit/ emotional state goes away.

Someone posted above that we have all felt this way at one time or another and i agree 100,000,000,000,000,000,000% ( god, there are so many smart people on this site)

Here is what I think: eat good, get out of the house everyday, and do something for your self...just you...every week. I don't know what "bolshy kids" means (lol) but you need to take care of you to take care of others. If you are not here what will they do then??? (just some food for thought)

I hope you have a great day and a better tomorrow!!!

vertial hugs from me too!!!!!

pleo

LittleV

Such lovely replies from so many people, and I am glad to see others who at times feel the same.

I am doing something for myself, lol, I took out a small mortgage last year and am having the house done throughout, mad I know to take out a mortgage at my age when I had finally got rid of it... but I have NEVER had a home the way I wanted it to be.

Am back going to the gym regularly too, small sessions, but obviously any step in that direction is a good one!! Tomorrow I have an appointment to have a personal training plan worked out for me (am sure most of you already know that subsidised gym membership is available in many areas through your gp if you are overweight/over 50/have a health condition that warrants it) mine costs me £2.80 per session, a small price to pay for an improved life! No doubt some of you will read that and not know...my gp wasnt aware when I found out about it, but very kindly made the effort to get her practice included in the scheme, so is worth asking and persevering with!

Am off out today with my son, who has wednesdays off from college, we are going back to visit his junior school, and donate a gas mask and ration book, that belonged to my father. We used to borrow it every year when the children were at school, so they could use it in their annual project about the last world war. I lost my father 4 years ago, and decluttering for the building work I came across the items. I think my Dad would be pleased to know that the items will live on and have a useful life :)

So finally a big hug to all who replied to my thread, a special one to those who have moments like mine, and a thank you for all the positive posting!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
WELL DONE YOU!! :D :D

Its amazing what a difference a couple of weeks can make, I am so glad you are feeling better and have so many positives going on in your life.

Have a lovely day with your son at the school - its a lovely thing your'e doing and yes your dad would be pleased and proud for the kids to have his stuff for generations to come

Give yourself a pat on the back you should be proud of yourself

Synonym

Dislikes
Hello again Littlev.

I am so glad that you are feeling better in so many ways. 8) Don't stop dropping in and do let us know how you are getting on. :D

LittleV

Synonym said:
Hello again Littlev.

I am so glad that you are feeling better in so many ways. 8) Don't stop dropping in and do let us know how you are getting on. :D

Well!!!!!!!! To all those non believers in the sensible diet/exercise regime, 2 weeks I have been back at the gym, small sessions, 30 mins or so, altho getting slightly longer gradually, and also been keeping my bg in single figures for same length of time, and they weighed me again on thursday at the gym, and I have lost 10lbs!!!! Yes I know, a lot of that will be fluid, but even my trainer was impressed.

So after spending 2 years fighting the very fact that I had diabetes, like so many people, it would appear the answer is in my own hands, they have also very slightly reduced my insulin by 2 units, to be reviewed in a month...so going on that ratio...in 21 months I will be off insulin and the weight of a new born baby :lol:

Synonym

Dislikes
Well done Viv! :D

Now are those teenagers getting organised and helping you too? Good exercise for them and very valuable to them in the future. 8)

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Hi Little V I really enjoyed reading your posts, especially the ones that seem so positive. I don't know about you needing the kick up the backside, I think it is maybe your teenagers that need it :lol:
Keep up the good work and it is good to hear that your BG levels are improving.