Please sign and share to ensure our TYpe1 children are safe at school!

Dear all,

I have started a petition with the support of Diabetes UK and the Medical Conditions at School Alliance.

When my daughter started secondary school there was not much communication with me about her condition despite numerous attempts at contacting them. Even after managing to secure a meeting with the assistant to the head and first aid officers my daughter Jenny experienced a dangerous hypo whilst out on a cycling proficiency exercise.

This experience made me look into what responsibility the school has by law to make sure my daughter is safe. I found that every school is required by law to have a Medical Conditions Policy detailing the care they should provide, communication with parents and any training they should have.

I found that the school my daughter attends did not have this in place and nor did the other large secondary school near to our home. They had no idea that they should have this policy in place. I have now made sure they have written one but many of the things written in the policy are still not being followed - especially communication with the parent and making sure that my daughter catches up with any work she has missed when off due to appointments etc.

The petition aims to:

1. make sure every school knows they are required by law to have a Medical Conditions Policy in place
2. place responsibility on Ofsted to check in their inspections that policies are being followed properly

The petition will be sent to Edward Timpson the MP for Children and Families. The Medical Conditions policy will also make sure children with other long-term medical conditions like epilepsy, asthma, anaphylaxis, migraines etc are being cared for too.

Here is the link - please sign and share to others you know!!

https://www.change.org/p/edward-tim...ents_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink

Many thanks,

Louise Fyfe-Taylor