Metformin & alcohol

Pipster72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm pre diabetic and on metformin.
I'm also on a hen do tonight (pub crawl)
Metformin says in the leaflet to avoid alcohol and normally I don't drink, so have never had to ask the question before. Does that mean I should not take my evening tablet and enjoy the evening (although probably not tomorrow's hangover) or does that mean I'm not allowed to drink AT ALL? How do you guys manage alcohol in social situations?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It wont do any harm to miss one tablet and go oit and enjoy yourself. Personally I drink spirits with diet fizzy and it has nonimpact on my BS.

Pipster72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks. That's what I went with in the end. I have found since turning 40 that small amounts of most things alcoholic give me an awful hangover so I just normally avoid it. I seem to be generally okay with clear spirits, so stuck to Malibu and diet coke (+1 single shot of something weird) and only had 5 or 6 all night. Ended up bringing the hen home early as she was in a tangle (and some people are idiots and kept buying her shots. ...grrr ). I always seem to end up being Mum!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Metformin builds up in your system over weeks until it reaches a therapeutic dose. Missing one pill does nothing to prevent interactions with alcohol. One or two drinks occasionally is not a problem. The package insert says that EXCESSIVE alcohol use can cause hypoglycemia. Please don't rely on an internet forum for medication information that can have serious consequences if wrong. Always read the info that came with the drug or look it up online on the official website. I am glad you had a good time.

britmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over time i have found out if i drink cider it doesnt seem to affect my blood sugars and i dont get a hangover with it. On the other hand if i drink stella or lager i just want me bed.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
:joyful:
Over time i have found out if i drink cider it doesnt seem to affect my blood sugars and i dont get a hangover with it. On the other hand if i drink stella or lager i just want me bed.
Wow! I'm suprised. My PN said she would ban Cider if she could - it is (apparently) the worst / highest sugar content 'long drink' you could think of - but hey what does she know, she works for the NHS (tongue very much in cheek here).
Thankfully I've never drunk Cider - only Stella! Sadly my relationship with 'her' is but very fleetingly these days! :(

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
:joyful:
Wow! I'm suprised. My PN said she would ban Cider if she could - it is (apparently) the worst / highest sugar content 'long drink' you could think of - but hey what does she know, she works for the NHS (tongue very much in cheek here).
Thankfully I've never drunk Cider - only Stella! Sadly my relationship with 'her' is but very fleetingly these days! :(
As I understand it Stella has 14g of 'deadly carbs' per pint ..... Less than Weetabix and a slice of whole meal toast.
Therefore if I miss Breakfast for a few days, I can still have a few at a weekend and stay low(ish) carb - hussar!!!!
Don't worry - tongue still in cheek!

Tord0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm pre diabetic and on metformin.
I'm also on a hen do tonight (pub crawl)
Metformin says in the leaflet to avoid alcohol and normally I don't drink, so have never had to ask the question before. Does that mean I should not take my evening tablet and enjoy the evening (although probably not tomorrow's hangover) or does that mean I'm not allowed to drink AT ALL? How do you guys manage alcohol in social situations?

I am on Metformin and have just recently been put on dapagloflozin and I am still able to enjoy a drink or two, although I never have anymore than two and I'm fine. You have to enjoy yourself sometime.

Reactions: 2 people

Nic39

My diabetic nurse said it was ok to have a few drinks when on metformin. You may feel a bit more hungover than usual. She advised the next day to drink lots of water and a walk to feel better!

Reactions: 2 people

Pipster72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I must try to remember to talk to her about it at my next appointment. I rarely drink anyway so it's never at the top of my list of questions.
I didn't have much to drink but threw up on the way home anyway. ... not sure why

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I drink at the weekend with Met, never had a problem. My friend drinks wine every night and on Met, it seems she doesn't have a problem either.

Toriroge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on met for years and never had a problem with alchol and them. Enjoy the hen do x

Martinabray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I too have been on Metformin SR for years and occasionally drink alcohol (sometimes too much !) It possibly causes me to have night cramps ...but not always. Have a great time and enjoy !