Type 2 Food and Alcohol

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I'm Terry and I'm newly diagnosed with T2 07/10/16 I'm 39 and male, I'm taking metformin. Everything is very hard to understand and there is a lot to take in, I might be ill informed but I've decided to have a low carb diet and cut out all extra sugar but finding it difficult to find food that fills me up ?! Should I avoid potato bread pasta rice and are the whole meal versions just as bad ?? Also I used to love a good few drinks on a Friday, can anyone tell me the best alcohol to drink ( in moderation) or is it a big no no ??? Thanks in advance for any input #Hungry

Last edited:

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beer is bad. A Coors light beer is ok if you limit yourself to one or two bottles over an evening. Spirits without added sugar mixers is fine. Red wine is fine as well. Your whole world hasn't ended so try and ignore the pessimists in the forum!

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks I did think beer would be bad but I looked at the carbs in Guinness and they were quite low I think I was just hoping someone would say yep it's fine drink as much as you like haha Red wine that's nice to hear I like a glass of red thanks for your advice what do you eat instead of bread ???? @bobrobert

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a link to a list of beers showing their carb content. Not all are listed, but quite a few.

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

I also like a vodka with diet coke or gin and diet tonic. Neither hardly affect my sugar levels. A glass of red or 2 with my main meal has proven to positively help keep down any sugar spikes too :)

For bread, try the dark brown, triangular high protein rolls from Lidl stores. If you can't get on with them, the next best thing seems to be a sliced Bergen loaf from most supermarkets.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a link to a list of beers showing their carb content. Not all are listed, but quite a few.

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

I also like a vodka with diet coke or gin and diet tonic. Neither hardly affect my sugar levels. A glass of red or 2 with my main meal has proven to positively help keep down any sugar spikes too :)

Thanks G&T mmm I will have a look at the list and enjoy just the one

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I did think beer would be bad but I looked at the carbs in Guinness and they were quite low I think I was just hoping someone would say yep it's fine drink as much as you like haha Red wine that's nice to hear I like a glass of red thanks for your advice what do you eat instead of bread ???? @bobrobert

I haven't drank draught beer for 2/12 years since I was diagnosed. I would forget about the possibility of drinking Guinness and other draught beer. Unfortunately Coors is hard to find in pubs where I live in the West of Scotland. A sacrifice which is needed imo.

Reactions: Freema

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also I used to love a good few drinks on a Friday, can anyone tell me the best alcohol to drink ( in moderation) or is it a big no no ???

Welcome @Terryrhino :)

I enjoy a glass of red wine on a weekend and it has a negligible effect on my bg levels, I'm type 1 but many type 2's say as much themselves.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't drank draught beer for 2/12 years since I was diagnosed. I would forget about the possibility of drinking Guinness and other draught beer. Unfortunately Coors is hard to find in pubs where I live in the West of Scotland. A sacrifice which is needed imo.

Do you mind me asking if you were or are over weight? And if you were have you lost it and did you find it easy to lose ? I've set a possibly high target of 56lbs I'm not sure of my weight but I am over weight and it can't hurt losing some

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 15 stones and after reducing my carb intake I dropped down to 12 stones over 9 months which I was at for 18 months. Now at 12.5 stones. I did drink a lot of beer which I massively reduced and I think the weight loss reflected that. Reducing the beer isn't the end of the world. Just taken delivery of a nice malt whisky. An Ardbeg 10 year old.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
F
I was 15 stones and after reducing my carb intake I dropped down to 12 stones over 9 months which I was at for 18 months. Now at 12.5 stones. I did drink a lot of beer which I massively reduced and I think the weight loss reflected that. Reducing the beer isn't the end of the world. Just taken delivery of a nice malt whisky. An Ardbeg 10 year old.
first time I've spoken to anyone about all this thank you for all your support and enlightenment it's helps

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Terry a lot of members seem to terrified when first diagnosed. I said to the doctor that it was a wake up call and it was. In a sense it did me a favour and I now enjoy my food a lot better. Perhaps I have been lucky, no obvious damage yet. You have to keep on top of what you will learn but it will be worth it!

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm only on day 6 but I'm eating better and watching what I eat and also exercising 4 times a week so I think you're right about the wake up call, on the plus side I feel absolutely fine as if nothing has changed but I know it has onwards and upwards

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Marston’s Resolution is the classic low carb beer - back in the day it was called 'Low C' and more obviously marketed to people with diabetes. Unfortunately its distribution seems a bit limited at present - like a lot of low carb products its heyday was in the early 2000s when low carb diets were more generally fashionable - even dare I say it a commerical fad.

You can order from Marston's online shop: https://www.classicales.co.uk/products/Marstons_Resolution/66

Around 2g of carbs per bottle. Doubt it would win (m)any beer prizes but is still OK.

Some Bargain Booze shops still have it I think.

Last edited:

uptome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I'm Terry and I'm newly diagnosed with T2 07/10/16 I'm 39 and male, I'm taking metformin. Everything is very hard to understand and there is a lot to take in, I might be ill informed but I've decided to have a low carb diet and cut out all extra sugar but finding it difficult to find food that fills me up ?! Should I avoid potato bread pasta rice and are the whole meal versions just as bad ?? Also I used to love a good few drinks on a Friday, can anyone tell me the best alcohol to drink ( in moderation) or is it a big no no ??? Thanks in advance for any input #Hungry

Hi Terry,

Take up some exercise if possible. EVERYTHING in moderation. Talk to a health adviser about a diet. Be careful where alcohol is concerned. Get yourself a blood sugar monitor as that will be invaluable if only recently diagnosed. Maintain sugars to a reasonable level. Last but not least, don;t let it get you down. Be positive.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Terry,

Take up some exercise if possible. EVERYTHING in moderation. Talk to a health adviser about a diet. Be careful where alcohol is concerned. Get yourself a blood sugar monitor as that will be invaluable if only recently diagnosed. Maintain sugars to a reasonable level. Last but not least, don;t let it get you down. Be positive.

I've started walking 6km 4 times a week and use mapmywalk for inspiration and it's working I will speak to someone about diet I think that's the hardest for me I love food I'm a keen cook and baker and struggling to make anything taste nice without cream butter sugar and carbs haha roasted veg and steamed fish is the best so far, as for keeping positive I'm trying and messages like yours help an awful lot so thank you very much

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take a look at the LCHF threads. I eat more butter and cream now than I ever did before and they have played a significant part in my weight loss, strangely enough.

Got to agree about the baking though. When I first got labelled I went mad and bought a tonne of coconut flour. It sucks up more moisture than polyfilla and is a nightmare to bake with. However, I made some crackers with almond flour last night that are good enough to be sold in Fortnums. My paleo bounty bars were a success too.

That's my xmas treats sorted :p

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the message Andy Thats most helpful I continue to learn and just take one day at a time for the next few months! Bounty bar recipe please lol

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha!

I will find the recipe and post it tonight when I get home.

The almond flour biscuit/crackers were a result too as I used to love my cheese and crackers.

www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2013/02/low-carb-crackers.html?m=1

Will try a sweet version over the weekend and if they work out I will be hitting the Indian food shop for a sack of almond flour at the weekend.