Vision issues

offtheback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks,

I have an issue with my vision whilst cycling.

I'm a Type 1 on pump therapy and was diagnosed in late 1971.

My control is moderate, much better since I received my pump about 9 years ago.

I have had quite a lot of laser treatment in my eyes over the years, and I'm not sure if this is relevant.

I do a lot of cycling, not really racing but mostly endurance and distance events.

I've developed this issue where my vision turns extremely blurred, like I was sitting in a very steamy sauna, after about 40 miles or so. My eyes also feel like they have grit in them when they actually don't.

It takes a good 4hrs post ride to get back to normal.

I've mentioned this to my opthalmology doctor several times, and he's had a look as said there is nothing wrong.

I bought a freestyle libre to keep an check on bg levels and these seem normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Not sure what to check and it might not be diabetes related, but seems too coincidental.

Thanks

Brian.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,

I have an issue with my vision whilst cycling.

I'm a Type 1 on pump therapy and was diagnosed in late 1971.

My control is moderate, much better since I received my pump about 9 years ago.

I have had quite a lot of laser treatment in my eyes over the years, and I'm not sure if this is relevant.

I do a lot of cycling, not really racing but mostly endurance and distance events.

I've developed this issue where my vision turns extremely blurred, like I was sitting in a very steamy sauna, after about 40 miles or so. My eyes also feel like they have grit in them when they actually don't.

It takes a good 4hrs post ride to get back to normal.

I've mentioned this to my opthalmology doctor several times, and he's had a look as said there is nothing wrong.

I bought a freestyle libre to keep an check on bg levels and these seem normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Not sure what to check and it might not be diabetes related, but seems too coincidental.

Thanks

Brian.
Hello Brian:)

You're using the Libre, so we're safe to assume that highs and lows aren't causing your problem...

Is it solely with cycling that you get the vision issues?

Do you wear glasses when cycling, to stop the wind getting in your eyes?

Does your blurry vision happen when it's warm as well as cold?

Does your BP change significantly (rise or fall) when you're exercising? Medically, I have no idea about BP and its effects on your vision, but I'd imagine that a correlation is possible.

Regards,
Grant

offtheback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply,

As the Libre shows a graph my bg doesn't seem to fluctuate.

I was wondering about blood pressure. I've seen it mentioned on other forums. I could go to my GP and ask to borrow a monitor.

Having thought about it usually when it's cold, like today. I spent a week cycling in the French Alps when it was warm and it didn't occur at all. This was despite sweating a lot which discounts my other theory of dehydration.

I do wear glasses when cycling.

It's strange that my left eye is the first to go which is the one I've had the most laser on.

As I said might be coincidental, but.....

Just wondered if there were any runners etc on here who had experienced anything similar?

I've maybe posted in the wrong forum heading to attract their attention!

Brian

Reactions: Freema

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply,

As the Libre shows a graph my bg doesn't seem to fluctuate.

I was wondering about blood pressure. I've seen it mentioned on other forums. I could go to my GP and ask to borrow a monitor.

Having thought about it usually when it's cold, like today. I spent a week cycling in the French Alps when it was warm and it didn't occur at all. This was despite sweating a lot which discounts my other theory of dehydration.

I do wear glasses when cycling.

It's strange that my left eye is the first to go which is the one I've had the most laser on.

As I said might be coincidental, but.....

Just wondered if there were at runners etc on here who had experienced anything similar?

I've maybe posted in the wrong forum heading to attract their attention!

Brian
No problem:)

I'm sure your GP could provide one for you, failing that you may be able to borrow one from a local gym or cycling club?

The cold air makes my eyes water when cycling, but I wouldn't say my vision goes blurry. That's why I mentioned the warm/cold weather.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon though, good luck and don't worry about it!

Grant

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you can get some artificial tear-water to drip in your eyes if they get too dry and irritated.. mine do after I have become diabetic, and mostly my left eye... and even when my blood glucose is about 6 mmol in average... used to have lower blood glucose like 4.5mmol the most of the time before... I have low lood presure... but the pressure can be higher in the eyes and maybe also the glucose level don´t know....
have you been stable for a long time with your blood glucose ?