Hi All

bodyrocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm Karen, I'm 30-something-ish, mum of 3 girls. Loads of hobbies, work from home, not sure what else to tell you.
I was diagnosed 6 days ago with diabetes type 2 and am hoping that with the experience of others I can manage to work my way through the minefield that is supposed to be my new diet??? :?

dragongirl

Hi Karen
The minefield you will first have to work through is all the recent debate (some would say arguments!) on here as to whether you should low carb, medium carb, ignore carbs etc!!
Seriously, some limitation of carbs will undoubtedly help you keep your oral meds at a lower level. Beyond that, it's between you, your wisdom and the doctor. Whatever works for you long term, because we are talking here having to do it for ever. So it has to be your choice at every turn. After a while you will find DB doesn't dominate your every thought. But at first it really is an overwhelming topic. Loads of people on here will help, though.

Welcome to the forum and just have a read round, learn all you can and then ask questions if you'd like to.
DG

bodyrocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Dragongirl,

Yes, I wasn't given any information when I was diagnosed and told I had to wait until I had a glucose tolerance test until I could have tablets as the results would tell the dosage, I then found out I had to wait 3 weeks for the test and a further 2 weeks to see the nurse for information such as diet etc.
I came home and looked on the internet for information for 2 whole days, all conflicting. I went back to the doctors to ask for the information I needed, I was given a photocopied pile of leaflets all stapled together, they were from all different sources and two of the pages directly cotradicted each other.
The sheet however does tell me to eat potatoes, pasta, wholemeal bread etc with every meal. It does say lower down that these cause you to put on weight - I am supposed to be losing weight, so thats a puzzle. Then, I found on the internet the carb v no carb debate.
I too have been told by the doctor that there is no need to test my blood, I felt differently so went to buy a machine thingy - the chemist disagreed with the theory and gave me a machine/tester free.
After all I have read and the short time spent on here, I believe that the only way forward is to find the best way forward for me using blood testing as a guide to how things affect me.
It seems with all the conflicting info, that is the only way I will get anywhere, so, as I say, hoping to learn from others experiences and thoughts, but to find my own way too.

It is nice to know though that food and diet and carbs, sugars, saturated fats etc won't always dominate my every thought.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello bodyrocks and welcome to the forum! :)

Your meter is your best friend! Testing, testing, testing! 8) :lol: :)

John aka Wallycorker

bodyrocks said:
I'm Karen, I'm 30-something-ish, mum of 3 girls. Loads of hobbies, work from home, not sure what else to tell you.
I was diagnosed 6 days ago with diabetes type 2 and am hoping that with the experience of others I can manage to work my way through the minefield that is supposed to be my new diet??? :?
Hi bodyrocks,

I'm a non-insulin dependent Type 2 who was daignosed over nine years ago. I got worse for eight years - my HbA1c rose to 9.4% - but have reversed my situation completely over the last eighteen months - last HbA1c down to 5.1% and is still dropping.

You can read details of the sort of diet that is working for me elsewhere on this forum by clicking on the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13750

Good luck and best wishes - John

bodyrocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry Synonym, I missed your post - yes, it is helpful. I just need to understand when best to use it.

haggis1972

Dislikes
spiders, rude people
hi karen my names sara and im a mum to 3 boys and a girl, i was diagnosed 3 weeks ago now as type 2, i have taken up excercise mainly walking and going on the kids trampoline, and trying the low carb diet it seems to be working have lost nearly a stone and bs coming down as is my blood pressure.I have had good and bad days, my doc told me i was young to develop it i am 37 but i notice that there are younger than me here .

dragongirl

bodyrocks said:
I just need to understand when best to use it.

Hi Karen
You'll find it best to test just before you eat and then test at 1 hr and 2 hrs after (every meal to start with) - just until you know what is doing what. Process of eliminating really. After a while, I knew what things I could eat without bothering to test all the time (I mean, I don't want to add sore fingers to my complaints and the bank balance has a voice!). There is always some small variation anyway, even if i eat exactly the same things and amount.
I've only been testing since last summer but I now test four days a week for lunch and dinner (brekkies are always one of a small range of ok-for-me foods) and always when eating something different or a combination that may spike together. Without fail I test on waking though. I need to know that that reading is steady and in the window I deem suitable.

Does that help?
DG

bodyrocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sara, good to find another newbie, we can muddle through together :D You are doing well, losing a stone, thats great.

Dragongirl, thats great, thank you. I will do that. I have been testing about two hours after lunch and tea to see how I am doing dietwise, I don't have breakfast, have never had it, I know I am supposed to now. Will start doing the first morning test.
(Fingers do get very sore don't they?)

I noticed we have to pay for the sticks as well, no stick prescriptions for type 2 diabetics - not good hey. Think I might need to find a cheaper brand of sticks and buy the machine to go with it.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
bodyrocks said:
I noticed we have to pay for the sticks as well, no stick prescriptions for type 2 diabetics - not good hey. Think I might need to find a cheaper brand of sticks and buy the machine to go with it.

Did you ask the DN or doctor for a meter because you might get one given to you? They often receive them from the reps as freebies as the companies make their millions on the strips. You could try pushing for a prescription on the basis that you want to take control of your condition and avoid all the costly complications that could arise otherwise.

If you get no joy at your surgery then ring Abbotts and ask them if they can let you have a meter. They also sell their strips direct to the public at a lower rate than you can buy elsewhere.

Just thoughts but worth a shot! 8)

bodyrocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to the chemist to price the testers and they gave me one free, the glucomen LX, I just found out the strips are £25 ish for them, I will try to get them on prescription but I don't hold out much hope because doctor told me type 2 diabetics didn't need to test. :roll:
I was looking at the opti- something, I think that is the abbots one, they have the cheapest sticks but it says the tester needs calibrating??? Not sure what that means. Do need to find one with cheaper sticks though than mine.

northlanguy

Hi there my name is Ian and I am 40 yrs old.

I was diagnosed about 5 weeks with type 2 and it has turned my life on it's head.

I loved my food and I am finding this condition hard to deal with.

I work away 2 nights a week and find eating out when I am away working a major bind!!

You order what you believe to be the healthy option but the fact is that you don't know what the kitchen are putting into your food.

The morning after I have eaten out I find my glucose readings are always abnormally higher. Even tried going on a mile walk before bedtime to try and burn some of it off but this dosen't doanything either.

Never thought I'd see the day when I would be frightened or apprehensive about going out for a meal!!

John aka Wallycorker

northlanguy said:
.........You order what you believe to be the healthy option but the fact is that you don't know what the kitchen are putting into your food.

The morning after I have eaten out I find my glucose readings are always abnormally higher. Even tried going on a mile walk before bedtime to try and burn some of it off but this dosen't doanything either.

Never thought I'd see the day when I would be frightened or apprehensive about going out for a meal!!..........
Hi northlanguy,

They can't put much of any harm into good old fashioned meat or fish with vegetables excluding the potatoes. That's my usual choice of food when eating out these days. That sort of meal does absolutely nothing to my blood glucose levels and it's to be found on almost all menus.

Sometimes I even risk a few chips - but not too many.

Best wishes - John