I missed my injection time, should I just skip my Rapid insulin and take my Night insulin?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi Bupapest... when you say you're late taking an injection, are you referring to the rapid acting insulin? That should be taken with your meals as mentioned already by @catapillar. For me I'm on apidra for rapid acting or bolus, and I'm on lantus for long acting or basal. I don't have experience with the insulin you're on, but I can't imagine it would be much different. I just ensure I take my basal injection the same time each night. Sometimes I've taken both my bolus and my basal at the same time because I've eaten late (usually when eating with others as otherwise I'm one for routine). It doesn't change things for me. Although you mentioned getting a hypo because of gardening, yes I can say that has happened to me a few times. Any unplanned activity could affect your sugar levels. Eg. you don't eat enough to cover for the activity you're doing, or you forget to drop the insulin dosage to factor in the activity.... well unplanned I don't do either of these. But if I plan my activity I will use less insulin usually. Eg. if I'm needing to do a grocery shop I will take less insulin with my meal prior to the shop. If I forget that, then I will eat something (if I remember) so I don't hypo. But if I'm going to hypo in public it is always in a grocery store for some reason.... most likely my fault though as too distracted and not paying attention. I wish you the best... let us know how you're going. :)

Edit: my endo told me that I should take my basal within a 15 min timeframe from the set time for it to continue to work well. But being honest I've taken it half an hour late before and I seem ok. But then I think my basal wears off about the 18 hour mark and not the 24 hours it is supposed to cover.

budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The most important thing is testing when taking insulin. Are you using a note book diary or an app? I'd suggest a written diary til your reguime is a bit more cemented.
If you can eat at set times then it will make this big change a lot easier until you're no longer a novice. ;)
Taking insulin can cover snacks too but depends if your an obese type 2 or not.

You will be able to manage your new regime better with a bit more framework which should be allowed to settle in before making further changes in diet and exercise.
Right.
Treat today as day 1 and establish if you've had a breakfast or not. Of course you're advised to have a breakfast but if skipped due to forgetfulness then try and use your alarm to definitely remember tomorrow. So if late in eating breakfast and due lunch then treat with lunch insulin. Get better and better at remembering 3 meals per day. Night insulin is always controversial as everyone reacts differently to it.
Myself at first usage of insulin I needed levermir and novarapid through pregnancy. I used levermir twice but maybe because of raising hormones and weight.
My advice is to try and keep just above good levels at the start, til you get a better grip and understanding of how YOUR body takes to the units. Then tweek as needed. Down or up a unit at a time if you're an adult. Try and avoid hypos as not pleasant but risky through the night.
Test test and test again to perfect. Don't take too much insulin before bed as a night hypo can be much more dangerous because of a few factors.
Lchf diet will help to keep hypos at a minimum and the need for less insulin and severe corrections, I feel.
Thx @ickihun. I have been keeping track of my levels writing them down, my blood glucose meter has a memory and can be hooķed up to a computer using usb cable. My proplem is probably the daily things that intefere with my regime, very fluid, so this messes up my rhythm.
Now my 5th week as T2, my levels getting better, but it's always the unexpected curve balls that throw me off.

budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your nighttime insulin doesn't have to be taken hours away from your regular insulin. You can do your nighttime insulin at its usual time or as soon after as possible BUT do NOT inject any other insulin near it because it can mess up the nighttime insulin by affecting its action.

You ask about taking your regular insulin. This is the insulin that's your meal time insulin. If you're not eating anything then you shouldn't have it. It's purpose is to help deal with your meals (to put it simply).
Thx @azure . Getting there slowly

Reactions: azure

budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry @budapest7 i don't really know how to add clarity on my previous post at #10 or @azures at #18

Rapid acting (humalin r) is the insulin you take with meals. If you aren't eating, don't take it. If you are eating, take it.

Long acting (humalin n) you take once a day - try to take it at approximately the same time every day, but a few hours here or there won't make any difference.

You don't need to leave any particular time elapse between taking rapid and long acting insulin, if you are taking them at the same time, you don't need to adjust doses, but you should not inject them in the same place on your body because they will mess up the timing action if injected in the same place.

Hope that helps. And you are feeling better after your hypo - to avoid this, if you aren't eating, don't inject rapid insulin.
Thx @catapillar. Getting slowly a much better understanding of the basics, so feel better equipped for the ups and downs. Also this App and how it works with Q & A. Week 5 with T2 and sure feels less scary than it did 3 and 4 weeks ago.

Reactions: himtoo

budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
as your short term memory is not as good these days , there is a product on the market that will help for knowing if you have taken your insulin ( and not forgotten to take it )
it is called timesulin -- link here https://timesulin.com/
it would be worth finding out if you are able to purchase this for your insulin pens , as you will then know if you injected.
Thx @himtoo . Will check this out

Reactions: himtoo