Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
Hi Grant,
I had to stop injecting into my thighs altogether several years ago because of bruising - both from Levemir and Novorapid and then from Lantus too and have only been able to use my abdomen and bum. This was a major reason for me moving on to pump therapy, as there are so few injection sites left available. I am quite slim and after being diabetic for 40 years and unable to inject many areas it is difficult to avoid 'bumps'. If you mention this as a problem for you it might help you get accepted for an insulin pump more easily. It is certainly a very important factor. Even with the pump I sometimes have problems finding a non-bump site that absorbs the insulin properly, but at least it's only trying to find such a site once every 3 days rather than 5 times a day as I was before. Hope you get the pump okay - life for me is so much easier with it!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
The lumps could be due to poor absorbtion. Try injecting slowly - like 2units wait a few seconds then another 2 units etc... could be that 9u is too much to be absorbed all at once, especially if only using 4mm needles. Either that or try 6mm and see if that helps.
Thanks for the input @wileykit55. I have been putting basal into my arms (9u each dose) with no bruising or lumps whatsoever. I think I'll just have to avoid my legs altogether...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Grant,
I had to stop injecting into my thighs altogether several years ago because of bruising - both from Levemir and Novorapid and then from Lantus too and have only been able to use my abdomen and bum. This was a major reason for me moving on to pump therapy, as there are so few injection sites left available. I am quite slim and after being diabetic for 40 years and unable to inject many areas it is difficult to avoid 'bumps'. If you mention this as a problem for you it might help you get accepted for an insulin pump more easily. It is certainly a very important factor. Even with the pump I sometimes have problems finding a non-bump site that absorbs the insulin properly, but at least it's only trying to find such a site once every 3 days rather than 5 times a day as I was before. Hope you get the pump okay - life for me is so much easier with it!
Did you get any answers from your diabetes team as to what the cause of the bruising was exactly? I find it weird why it's only my legs that get affected - that is if it's not just simply a lack of fat.

Hopefully my pump quest will have a good outcome. I do however only have 2.5 years of diabetes under my belt and a fairly decent A1c, so the odds are partially stacked against me...

Liverlad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys!

Having a bit of an issue with injecting Levemir into my thighs. The long and short of it is that every time - without fail - I'm left with lumps and bruises at the injection site, I'm injecting 9u at a time with 4mm, 32G needles.

I don't have a great deal of fat on my legs but I'm finding that it makes no difference whether I "pinch an inch" or just put the needle straight in...

Because of this, my basal insulin is limited to the top of my buttocks where I'm also noticing some lumps. I'm confident that it's not a fat build up caused by overusing the areas as I think I've got decent site rotation in place. As I've only been diabetic for 2.5 years, I'm starting to wonder is this some sort of reaction to the insulin or another issue altogether?

Look forward to your thoughts and thanks in advance:)

Grant
I have had Type 1 for nearly 40 years , my Basal injection daily involves the following ........... use 0.23mm needle x 4mm , easily long enough for you . Ive used them for years . I inject 25 iu Levemir Basal daily , I vary the areas as everyone should know . These areas include upper . lower and middle Upper thighs and Lower thighs , bum whenever I can reach and ..... all stomach / abdomen areas front , top lower , middle and sides ... all work , I have no injection site marks or bruises at all and no lumps anywhere ... hope this helps , Dave 55 years old

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had Type 1 for nearly 40 years , my Basal injection daily involves the following ........... use 0.23mm needle x 4mm , easily long enough for you . Ive used them for years . I inject 25 iu Levemir Basal daily , I vary the areas as everyone should know . These areas include upper . lower and middle Upper thighs and Lower thighs , bum whenever I can reach and ..... all stomach / abdomen areas front , top lower , middle and sides ... all work , I have no injection site marks or bruises at all and no lumps anywhere ... hope this helps , Dave 55 years old
Hi Dave, thanks for taking the time out to reply:)

Since I first started this thread I've been putting all my basal into the back of my arms and have no bruising or lumps at all. I genuinely have no idea as to what the reason can be with my legs, other than the needles are going too deep, and into muscle. For the time being I'm happy enough, but will wait and see the Dr/DSN early spring and review my injection technique in my legs.

Still can't shake the fatigue and aches, but whether they is related to either basal or bolus insulin remains another matter pending blood tests, etc.

Thanks again!
Grant

Reactions: noblehead