Insulin and passport control

montgomeryok

Hi folks
Hope this question hasn't already been asked by someone. My son will be 18 in June and is travelling to Spain with 3 mates unaccompanied for the first time so I'm looking for a little clarification on how best to tackle passport control. He is only taking hand luggage but is obviously taking extra insulin and I want to get him a cool pouch for it. When he gets to the scanners does he have to put the extra insulin and the cool pouch into a clear bag and then into the tray for scanning or can he keep it in the pouch? Or is it generally ok to keep the whole lot in your hand luggage?
Thanks.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Recently back from Malta and my sons pouch containing insulin went through scanner together with the rest of his diabetic kit, also accompanied by a Drs letter. No problems heading there through Belfast then Gatwick, only on returning from Malta did the security lady run off with pouch ( suppose cause the little cartridges contain liquid!!) None of security bothered to look at Drs letter, and when told what the pouch/ bag of kit contained, we found they didn't take much interest, just popped it all through x-ray.
Hope this helps.
Suzi x

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I"ve never had any real problems going through passport control with my insulins, a couple of times they just asked what was in my bag, and when I explained that I was diabetic, they were really helpful and often don't even look for dr letter! They will have the clear bags if they want him to take them out of his bag!
He'll be fine i reckon :D