Diabetic maculopathy

Skidmoreowl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi has anyone got diabetic maculopathy and what happens I've just been told I have it from my eye screening results.

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with retinopathy in Jan 2016 and maculopathy in October 2016, it basically means there is some damage to the macula in my case I have macula edema in both eyes which the blood vessels in the macular part of the eye are leaking, either fats or blood, or a mixture which can cause issues with central vision and can make it harder to read or see faces.

I had laser surgery in December to seal the leaking blood vessels, at that point I had no issues with my vision, I did however start to have issues at the start of January, reading became difficult, predominately in the morning.

I pleased to say my vision has started to improve but it is a fair bit off what it was currently, i'm hoping it will continue to improve.

Maintaining control of blood sugars is very important, I never was that good at it, and this is the result, since the laser surgery I have been very tight with my control, it can initially cause your vision to worsen, but long term good control is the best option, if controlled it may improve without intervention, but it may need some surgery or treatment.

One thing to consider in general treatment only prevents further damage, there's a good chance it won't improve or restore any loss in vision.

You can read more here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetic-maculopathy.html

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have an edema ( maculopathy) in my left eye.
I have had injections for this about 3 years ago -- currently it is stable -- slight deterioration in my central field of vision
right eye is still fab !! -- I got my 3 year licence this year -- and expect to get it again in 3 years time .

keeping bloods in control is the biggest help in this regard !!

all the best !!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was informed I have this in Novermber/December but not getting seen for 6 month so I will wait until my eyes are screened again

knuttystone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just had my letter back saying I'm showing signs of maculopothy... I'm seeing the Dr tomorrow and I'm so scared I've also got tingling/burning feet .. I never looked after myself and now I'm starting to pay the price ... so low so frightened