Control of sugar level

Dpanesar

I am 62 years of age yet to be prescribed medication to control the blood sugar level. My father was prescibed pills to control his blood sugar level.

I have been for several blood tests which have indicated slightly raised blood sugar levels. Last one was fasting at 5.4, drink Lucazade and 2 hours later sitting at 11 plus.

This morning I did a test with Accucheck to to get a figure of 5.9 (fasting)

What should I be doing to control the blood sugar level. Breakfast can either be 4 grapes, 4 strawberries, half a banana, unsweetened soya milk, fruit and fiber (dry fruit in it is not sweetened) and a cup/ mug of coffee. Alternative to fruit and fiber is bowl of porridge.

I am a heating engineer and am quite active in that I am quite active during the working day.

Dobbs

hi Dpanesar
Those fasting levels are good - lower than those of a great many diabetics.
You might find that carbohydrates send your levels higher - it's not just a question of sugary things. Reducing things like bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereal has helped me and many like me on this forum. Amongst fruits, grapes will put my numbers up, whereas things like berries of all kinds are fine.
It is very confusing, so my advice would be: test your own levels systematically to see how different foods and drinks affect you. It sounds like you have your own meter - an excellent start. Then, buy a book that gives you the carb values of different foods - it's not possible to guess them, so if you have a book like that you'll know.
Good luck.