Few Questions

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Insulin CAN become a life saving 'must have' for some, you may also being ignoring the other benefits that Metformin gives. On the supplements front, you probably missed one that has the most impact - ALA
What benefits does Metformin have? All the supplements I listed can be eaten by non diabetics. Theres no way you can take metformin if your a non diabetic. ALA is also good supplement, have u tried it? Is it really better than chromium GTF?!?!?!

I do get that for some people, they NEED insulin and stuff like that. But, I personally believe like when you almost have pretty good results with good diet and lifestyle, you add just a little bit of supplement, you will even better results.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why don't people focus on actually eating more healthy? Instead of eating better foods they tend to focus on low carb and high fat. I am pretty sure meat (Yes I know it has very little carbs) spikes your blood sugar.

Well you may be "pretty sure" but my body says different.. I am currently on a "zero carb" month eating only animal produce. After a week of acclimatisation my blood sugar levels have been between 4.7-5.3 all the time.
I also take no medication.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@rachelsmith10111 You claim to be a researcher, I'm not, but less than a minute gives me https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160419081703.htm on non diabetic benefits of metformin. Chromium and ALA work in different ways. Chromium is claimed to help stabilise blood sugars. ALA to improve insulin sensitivity - like metformin. Apple cider vinegar, and it must be organic slows absorption of CHO, but that only works if what you are about to eat is relatively high CHO. I prefer not to eat high carb anyway

Reactions: Brunneria
M

ME_Valentijn

Wait so most people on here who are type 2 and not on meds ARE NON VEG? Yeah... I don't think that's a good idea. The repeating thing I see on this forum a lot is "low carb and high fat".
Why wouldn't they be non-vegetarian? Humans evolved as omnivores, not as herbivores. That's why vegetarians and vegans need to supplement B12 - we're adapted to get it from meat sources, instead of producing our own.

Kudos to vegetarians and vegans who do it for ethical reasons, but it's categorically false to suggest that it's a natural diet, and it's not inherently healthy either. Case in point, my vegetarian cousin who doesn't eat vegetables. It's mostly processed grains and cheeses for her :p
Not every information out there which is mainstream is right.
Did anyone say it is? Pretty much everyone doing a low-carb diet is disregarding mainstream medical advice. That doesn't mean we turn our brains off and accept every bizarre claim to come along, just because it's also not mainstream.

What are some good sources of protein which have low carb? (Don't tell me any meats or anything, I am vegan)
Pigeon peas, chickpeas, soybeans, etc are relatively low carb, and a have a very good profile of essential amino acids. Not exactly dietary ketosis-inducing, but a nice alternative to grains and their processed products.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

ME_Valentijn

I would personally take supplements over Metformin, insulin.
I prefer taking things that work. And trying something first means I need to see a good evidence base showing its efficacy and safety. That means solid research, not blogs, not health articles, and certainly not books written by Some Guy On The Internet.
I do get that for some people, they NEED insulin and stuff like that. But, I personally believe like when you almost have pretty good results with good diet and lifestyle, you add just a little bit of supplement, you will even better results.
Why not give us the benefit of the doubt and assume we already have a pretty good idea of what we need, and are capable of looking into it if we get the urge? And if someone is fully controlling diabetes with diet and exercise, why complicate the situation by adding a bunch of expensive stuff which probably isn't doing anything?