How to stop the pre breakfast rise?

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What has worked for me to kill the dawn phenomenon and also bought my hba1c down to 5.9 os using two doses of long acting a large one in the morning and a small one at night both given at very randomish times between 5-10am and the other between 7-11pm of course I'm a type 1 of 40 years.

I've been fiddling with my medication slightly - 2000mg of Metformin has led to untenable side effects (whether slow release or not)

I tried changing to 1850mg for a few days but still got the side effects so have dropped it to 1500mg but in the form of a 500mg tablet with breakfast and then a 1g slow release with my evening meal - early days yet (ie 2!) so am keeping an eye on the sugars to check the overall effect.

So far no obvious difference to the results on the lower dosage but definitely a difference in side effects!

Edited to say: Dr appt in 2/52 to discuss meds so hoping to have evidence to produce for an informed discussion - so although not quite altering meds under Dr supervision it WILL be looked at shortly!

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

Zebediah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have started to notice that its what i do the day or two before that most affects the morning rise. So yesterday i did a 3 hour walk and then some heavy digging work for an hour in the garden. Today will probably be the best day of the week for reducing the morning rise, as i won't exercise much until the coming weekend.
Skipping a couple of meals the day before also helps.
Its almost as if i need to deplete the glucose (glycogen) in my muscles, and then they act as a sponge for excess blood sugar.
I eat very low carb

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same way. Once glycogen stores are full I'll run higher. I also eat vlc but protein needs to be carefully monitored for me or I run higher for a few days. Fat ineat just until satisfied.