Javascript abuse and lynx

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SPAM3.png

I was trying to read this aricle on the web site when a modal popup appeared asking me to sign on dome thinghy program.
I was only trying to red someting interesting, not to ansdwer to a survey or whatever.

Luckily I have the lynx text web browser insrakked and diabetes.co.uk is readable (sort of) with a textual browser.

so let's pretend that is 1997 and browse old skool.

More seriously, whu on earth when one likes to read something interesting on the web nowasays every site has a load of javascripr and there are tons of popups? Why not generare a more civilized page with the minimum jvascript that is mandatory. If one is with a cellphone and a 2G connection the web is normally unusable, why?

D

Deleted member 308541

I use a advert blocker and it stops 99.9% of the **** adverts in Windows using the Chrome browser

I do not get any adverts on my android phone using Chrome, again using a ad blocker.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You can disable pop ups in your browser preferences or download a browser extension. I am using Safari.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am using an ad blocker and EFF's privacy Badger to lock third party cookies too, but advertisers and site owners are finding every day more and more egregious ways tho shovel to you useless ****.

As you can see in the screenshot, the modal pop up is internally generated by the site itself, and points to an internal page of the diabetes.co.uk site.

This is really annoying. Especially if one had already done the thing ant there is a red banner on the top of the page.

By the way the simple html is 41 kbytes the total downloaded data goes to a whopping 3884 kbytes. If one has a low speed connection

Attachments

• SPAM_LOW_CARB.jpg
    SPAM_LOW_CARB.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 173

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah this is where you need a certain former member to be here! I also have MaAfee anti virus via BT. I don't know if that wold help.

Last edited: