What you think

7fholmes

I would like you to write a paragraph or a sentence about what having diabetes means to you.
Also please could you define diabetes in your own words...I am going to put some of your replies into my food technology GCSE project.
Thanks Alot
xxxx

donnamum

Life changing, terrible and you get teased because people call you names like diabeticoooooo. They eat sweets infront of you and laugh. They also say I'm a drug addict because I have injections. I just hate it.

Diabetes means -

Holly age 9.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
donnamum said:
Life changing, terrible and you get teased because people call you names like diabeticoooooo. They eat sweets infront of you and laugh. They also say I'm a drug addict because I have injections. I just hate it.

Diabetes means -

Holly age 9.

Oh Holly that's so sad.What little horrors other children can be!![[[[[[hugs]]]]]]

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Despite the horrible behaviour of kids, whose parents and teachers should show them better behaviour, My own diabetes hasn't done much to me other than show me, at last, how to get my weight down. And That I can be disciplined about eating and exercise.
My husband's type 1 and his reluctance to cope with it have impinged on my whole married life. ( he developed it in his late 20s after we had already been married some years. ( It's probably LADA or MODY, but diagnosed type 1) I've carried Insulin Vials ain my handbag on every holiday for 30 years and rushed to the hospital many times in emergencies. I've even had the experience of staying for days in the ICU after a doctor injected IV glucose, when he was actually in a true hyperglycaemic coma. Didn't test to see what was wrong, then I think realised his mistake. He called the ambulance and went away, leaving me and the wonderful paramedics to cope. I tried to complain to the Health Authority, but got nowhere. The upshot is now my husband has 2 Charcot feet, can only walk about 200 m and has recurrent foot and leg ulcers. I have finally got him to cut down on his carb intake and insulin, but after 40 years of eating up to the insulin dose suggested by the clinic, he weighs 17 stone and has kidney trouble as well as eyes and that one men dread, but won't talk about.

ChocFish

Diabetes is a kind of life sentence but it doesnt have to be all negative, I have learn to be more disciplined and flexible in my outlook, I have learnt to lead a healthy lifestyle as a result of becoming diabetic, I have learnt to appreciate the smaller things of life and not to take anything for granted, I have learnt to be more understanding and kinder to my fellow human beings and I have got to know lots of really nice people both online and real life that I wouldnt have met if I had not become a diabetic, every cloud has a silver lining :)

All the best with your GCSE exams

Karen

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Diabetes T2 was for me a wake-up call from my body to get healthy.
Okay, I can't have my favorite sweets - treacle toffee - and that hurts.
But learning about living with this thing has taught me restraint : to eat healthily and exercise regularly.
I have just come back from my most sucessful walking holiday ever. No blisters! I can have treats - just not so often.

I look at it this way - keep positive, be in control; then I can be just as healthy, in fact, healthier, than non diabetics.

It could be worse. I could have cancer. But I don't. I have a condition that I can control, mostly without drugs. Finally, I am in the correct weight-to-height ratio for my age, and that's an achievement for an overweight over fifty.

Thank you, diabetes. It's just my b****y feet. No feeling, you see. :evil:

Nellie

Negative : It took away my career, I thought that I was a burnt out teacher, so did the doctor (sadly yet another British GP) and didn't look for a physical reason for my becoming tired and stressed out..I didn't want to become a failing teacher so I quit. I'm now much poorer financialy as a result. :cry: Being eventually diagnosed with type 1 diabetes was a huge shock. Its not supposed to happen to people in their 50s.

Positive, I moved to a new life,in a new country. Eighteen months after diagnosis I ran a marathon -just to show I could. Early diabetes 'took away' excess weight and although I regained some, I now make sure that I stay at a healthy weight.I I'm far stricter in eating a healthy diet and in exercising so perhaps strangely I think that I'm far healthier than I've been for years!.

KimSuzanne

Diabetes is what made me who I am being diagnosed at 7 yrs old I know no different - its good and bad I learnt that early in life. I got teased but that made me stronger - I know my own body better than most of my friends know their wardrobes - Without diabetes I'm not sure I'd know what to do with myself I'm so used to thinking about ordinary things in an extraordinary way. But I like that way of thinking everything ordinary in an extraordinary way!