High morning sugars

marr_mite

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I posted a while ago about my boyfriend having high sugar levels in the morning, we've moved house twice since (house flooded, big storm, long story) and I can't find the post so can't thank everyone for their input!

It's still an issue, we tried changing the basal insulin but he'll go to bed on a steady 6 but can wake up anywhere between 11-20. We're literally lost at what to do, his vision the following day is not good and is worried sick about having high levels.

Generally. when working out how much fast acting insulin to take, what are people's methods? He kind of suffers in silence about it all..

Thank you all in advance!

Andy

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andy, could you confirm when you eat tea and a typical evening meal?

The reason I ask is sometimes your digestive system is still processing foods if you eat late, and if a particularly high carb meal (especially complex carbs) could contribute to over night rises.

Has your partner conducted basal testing? This will highlight if you need more or less basal. I would recommend doing this because there may be hidden night hypos which could be causing the sudden glucose dump.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise can also affect blood glucose levels. I know mine goes shooting up If I exercise a lot.

D

Deleted Account

This could be what is known as the "dawn phenomenon". My understanding is your liver dumps a load of sugar into your blood to start your day ... the amount of sugar varies per person and some people with diabetes do not see any problems in the morning whereas others see a huge spike.

I have recent changed to a pump (and the basal control on this allows me to cope with the morning spike).
However, when I was on MDI, I would take a largish basal. There were two reasons for this: I graze throughout the day and this helped; I had a morning spike. The avoid going hypo through the night, I would go to bed with a BG of about 8 which the basal would bring down as I slept and there was enough basal to control the morning spike. So I would wake with a BG in the 5s.

However, as @Coopsman1 suggests, you need to be careful of night time hypos which could appear as a high morning BG.
The only way to find out is to review readings throughout the night. If you are able to use a CGM or Libre, this would be great. Otherwise, it's a case of setting your alarm throughout the night and taking readings every 2 hours or so.

TURBO911_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can tell you the same thing is happening to me for example, I get up at 3am to get ready for work and my sugar is 8 all I have is a drink of coffee then when I get to work forty mins later it's 16 I am very confused also.I am not having hypoes.

ailsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have this problem. I try to go to bed with 8 b.s. thinking I should be about 7 in the morning but my nos can vary between 14 and 10. I have checked through the night and it looks ok at 7 but still goes up too high in the morning. I adjust at breakfast and levels are ok during day.

Loraines

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not having dessert, potatoes, pasta, rice, bread ....
I have terrible dawn phenomenon levels between 12 and 22. No other symptoms. Sweat during the night but usually only get up once to use the loo. NIDM and lost 12 kg, but Hb1ac next week and I'm sure doctor will put me on insulin. Current 2000 Metformin just not keeping it down. And yes, I do try to eat low carb/no sugar.

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Can you try a libre continuous blood glucose monitor? Even for just 2 weeks?

I bought one and was really surprised by the results. Finger prick tests show you so little in comparison. Just snapshots.

I'm good all night and then it rockets up as I get out of bed. I'm T2 and am finding that LCHF and in particular taking my metformin just before I go to bed is helping.